Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011

Tonyhibbett is on a distinguished road
Genoa on Hanse 42

Just fitted new 150 genoa but cannot get the foot parallel with the deck when close hauled, even when the block is set as far aft as the track will allow. As a result, the leach is not fully taught and vibrates, which will shorten its life. The sail was custom made for the boat specs, so should be ok. Any suggestions for a solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
The foot does not need to be parallel to the deck. Move the block forward till you get good results with the leach.
Old 08-30-2011

genoa rig

many thanks for swift help. Will try that on friday. Makes sense as the foot would then be just clear of base of upper shroud and the sheet would be pulling directly down, instead of at an angle. Will let you know result
Old 08-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The angle of the sheet from block to clew should form an imaginary line that roughly bisects the luff (leading edge) of the sail. From that point you move the block slightly forward or aft so that when you do luff up, all the telltales 'break' at the same time. If the uppers break first, the block should go forward, if the lowers, then tweak it aft.

In heavier winds run the block further aft than ideal to spill a bit of power and open up the slot somewhat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-30-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
"IF" the sail sail leech still vibrates after you have the sheet set so it lines up with the mid point of the luff as faster points out, you would need to tighten the leech line some. Which is a very light line that should be on the foot, and leech, about kite string thickness to a bit thicker, 1/8"/1-2mm at most.

I took my HS's and layed them on the ground, found the midpoint of the luff, took a line of some sort, might have even been the tape measure I was using to the clew, literally drew a line with a sharpie from the clew 2' or so on this line. This give me/crew a quick visual if the carrs are set correct. If you have an RF, this is really important, because as you roll the HS in, the carr needs to move forward. Having a line control carr fromt eh cockpit is REALLY handy, then no one needs to mover forward to adjust the carr using the pin.

Marty
Old 08-30-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
You got a custom #1 for a 42' boat and the sailmaker couldn't go on a ride with you? Did he have a main to build for a TP52 or something more important than taking care of a paid customer?

Get the sailmaker out for a sail with you. It's his job to check his work, and get you tuned in.
blt2ski and Faster like this.
Old 08-30-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
You got a custom #1 for a 42' boat and the sailmaker couldn't go on a ride with you? Did he have a main to build for a TP52 or something more important than taking care of a paid customer?

Get the sailmaker out for a sail with you. It's his job to check his work, and get you tuned in.
Do this sooner than later too. I got a new 155 string style from a local loft, stuck it on, he did not come out initially, then another person from YC said the genoa did not look right. thought about it, and said, self, he could be right as my 140 pulls better than the 155 some times.....so out he came, turned out there was a slight problem when made, got it shaped a bit, and we are now WAY faster, and the sail is pulling as I thought/felt it should.

having them out can be a help too!

Marty
Old 08-30-2011

Jenny wrench

Many thanks, guys!
In my mind's eye, the sheet points to a point lower than the midpoint of the luff, so moving the block forward should improve this, bearing in mind the main objective is to trim the the leach, as the genoa drives the boat at 11 knots in a force 5 five without the main and very smoothly too.
We made a videoclip to send to the sailmaker. It never occurred to us to invite the sailmaker to come along. Too trusting?
Consdered trimming the leach line, after all, that's what it's for, butsurely not when it's a new sail, or maybe that's exactly what you should do. I thought maybe shake out the creases and give it a bit of breaking in first would be wise.
Old 09-04-2011

genoa reefing

We moved the block forward 1 hole, (6 inches) which helped, and then tightened the leach a few inches, which stopped the vibration. Then moved the block forward another hole, which was even better, as the clew could be pulled closer to the deck and the middle of the foot was less inclined to go over the rail. On a couple of occasions, we even managed to prevent it going over at all, so, yes practice, timing and speed with hauling in the sheet are now the key. So many thanks again for the sound advice.
Having got that problem fairly well sorted, we encountered another problem. When the wind speed increased, we reefed the genoa, but the jamb on the block used to control the roller reefing line couldn't take the strain, so we had no choice but to furl the sail completely. There was talk about needing 2 winches in addition to the 4 we have, which would be nice, but at £800 each, plus fitting...?
I don't think we need them, anyway. We just need something on 1 side only to hold the the roller reefing line securely in place when reefed. Suggestions very welcome!
Old 09-06-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I don't think you need another winch. Try sailing deep or head up into the wind to furl the genoa.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.