Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011

kilby is on a distinguished road
Which Boat? Help..

After 20 years of being boatless, we have been looking around the Vancouver/Vancouver Island area for a good "re-starter" boat. I have literally looked at hundreds of 22' to 28' examples in the $7,000 to $15,000 range and am disappointed in the condition of nearly all of them. The only two that seem decent are a 1986 Mirage 25 and a 1985 Hunter 25.5. The owner's want $16,500 for the Mirage and $14,500 for the Hunter. Both really clean, Hunter pulled, painted and new thru hulls this year and has a 2010 survey. I know that they are both overpriced but how much of a premium does one pay for not inheriting someones junk? Someone must have an opinion on these two?

Which one is best built? Best sailing and will keep the best re-sale if we move up. ALL help on this appreciated.

Last edited by kilby; 08-30-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
If you buy a clean, well cared for boat, it will only lose value over time. If you buy a dirty boat that needs a little work but is essentially sound, you can put in some sweat equity and have a decent boat that you may be able to turn around later without much loss of value. The problem is that in your budget, you can only find old boats. The number of older boats that have been really well cared for isn't that great.

Good luck.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2011

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Between those two boats, the Mirage hands down. It is a Robert Perry design and the builder had a good reputation on quality as well. Both those boats seem more than a little pricey to me, but boat prices can vary a fair amount region to region, so someone local to Vancouver or more familiar with the area might be able to offer more info in that regard. What kind of sailing are you looking to do? What do you want out of the boat? For that kind of budget I would bet you could get a real nice Catalina 27 with a trailer from any number of areas, and have enough scratch left to have it delivered up to you.
Old 08-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd agree that both are somewhat overpriced.. but there is some value to being able to buy and sail as opposed to buy, work/fix, then sail. And, more importantly perhaps, keep in mind that these are asking prices and what they'll actually sell for may be somewhat less.

A serious offer from a qualified buyer could change those numbers.

On the face of it I'd try for the Mirage first, but for our area the Hunter may well be fine is she's passed a critical survey.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-30-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd go with the mirage due to the pedigree and quickness vs the Hunter any day!

With that in mind, for around the Salish sea, as Faster pointed out, "EITHER" will work!

marty
Old 08-30-2011

Petar is on a distinguished road
I'd go south of the border. i purchased both of my sailboats in seattle for much better price than what i found in Vancouver area. canadians seem to be "emotionally attached" to their boats and asking some funny figures for them. canadian dollar is strong. For a boat built in US you will only pay 12%HST on the amount you paid in US. You take it out in 60 days and you pay no sales tax in US. Simple and efficient
Old 08-30-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Apparently BC boats are priced like BC real estate.
Faster and Armchairsailor2 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2011

Cool Mirage vs hunter

Thanks for you thoughts on this, they were as expected, just wish that we didn't have the "slightly higher in Canada" thing going on. With the dollar the way it's been for quite awhile, prices should be same as US. Even far better prices in Ontario, maybe it is the moronic real estate prices here make everybody here pay more for everything than anywhere else.
Old 09-02-2011

Looked at Hunter

Well, we went and looked at the Hunter 25.5 and although really clean and well looked after, it did seem more like a "condo" on the water. The deal breaker for me was that the gunnels/deck has a slope so walking in any kind of sea would be difficult. The owner's dog just slipped overboard at the marina yesterday. The first Mirage (a 27') was a bit unloved but after the Hunter seemed like a "real boat" So now we are down to Mirage 25 and 27, O'Day 23 with 27' Hotfoot keel and a beautiful 2001 Cape Cod catboat with very little use, it is only 22' but feels huge, seems very stable. It's a must sell so is priced about 1/3 of all the other Catboats I have seen.
Old 09-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The slope (camber) on the decks is a non issue... in fact it makes seating and movement more comfortable and easier while heeled (and the boat is meant to be heeled)

As to your other 'choices', probably all reasonable boats but to be looking at moderate designs like the Mirages, AND a Hotfoot 27 AND/OR a Cape Cod Catboat means that you really aren't sure what kind of boat you want. These are hugely disparate designs in terms of accomodation and performance and is like comparing apples to wingnuts.

I think you need to take a step back and try to refine and define just the type of boat you really want/need. Then start shopping similar types rather than this wide range of different boats. Best thing to do would be to hang around marinas and yachtclubs and try to get rides on some different boats so you have some idea of how they feel, handle, and behave.

Don't rush into anything until you've sorted that out for yourself......
puddinlegs likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)