Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillyboy View Post
all lost coolant has ended up below engine in bilge i have cleaned elbo also cant find any holes plenty of sea water pumping out a stern no milky oil still at a loss, could it be a faulty circulating pump ?
I have a few comments to add to HDChopper's advice.

1) I presume you have already tried ensuring all hoses are fully inserted on their fittings and tightening all clamps.

2) You'll need a good portable light as well, which for me means a trouble light. Maybe you have something better. Since a trouble light is a 110V device, you'll need to be tied to the dock. For engine work requiring a load, I double up my dock lines, put it in gear, and set it to the middle of its RPM range. Even so, I have a friend at the helm to watch the lines and kill it in case of trouble.

3) When you look at the engine, look at all surfaces including the undersides and backs that are not directly visible. I use one of those mirrors on a collapsible pole. I got one at an auto parts store.

4) Pay special attention to your fresh water pump and the heat exchanger. I'm wondering if either has leaking seals.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
With coolant in the bilge you definitely have a leak in cooling system. I have had overheating twice and both times it was a pinhole leak in the heat exchanger on the coolant side. The first time I had a mechanic look at it and he pressurized the system with air until the coolant squirted out to find the leak. The second time I spent a lot of time running the engine until I found it. I found no need to run the engine under load. Idle speed will heat up the engine and cause pressure to build up which will make locating the leak easier. "Rule of the leak" it will always be in the most inconvenient spot to see and repair. Both times I replaced the heat exchanger.
Old 09-03-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
If losing coolant then most of the above could apply, certainly a blown head gasket would be big worry.
Good to hear from the Swilly, fished there in the 60,s and hope to visit sometime on Aurora.
Is that Londonderry, Ireland??
Tempest. Depends who you ask, but its Derry to me.
Some times called Derry/Londonderry by the politically correct.
Shortened to Stroke City by the locals, in reference to all the strokers in public office.

Safe sailing.
Old 09-04-2011

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
Try removing the thermostat and run without it, or simply replace with new. The leaking coolant could be from a loose clamp or hose, occurring after the engine heats up due to thermostat not opening.
Old 09-04-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
If the thermostat were not opening he would overheat long before he lost coolant. My bet is the heat exchanger has a small hole, simply because that is the most common cause I am aware of. He has coolant in the bilge and he has no other symptoms like milky oil or steamy exhaust. So he is loosing coolant in the exposed part of the coolant side.