SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hughes 48 Yawl

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any info on the hughes 48 yawl? I am looking to purchase one but would like to know more about performance such as windward ability, hull speed and comfort at sea. Any help would be appreciated. The boat has great lines (classic). I know about the history etc. just looking for some advise gleened from first or second hand experience. Thanks, The Optimist

#2 ·
I've owned my Hughes 48 yawl for four years now. Put ten thousand miles under the keel between San Francisco Bay and Barra de Navidad, Mexico during the first two years of ownership. Comfortable ride, fast enough sailing. Goes to weather nicely and will carry 10 knots upwind if you don't pinch. She doesn't point like a modern J-boat, but she doesn't pound like one either. Downwind I've seen her reach 15 knots running down a wave in a stiff breeze of 25 knots with just a 100% headsail up. A lot more nimble underway than you might expect from a 30,0000 lb cruiser and generally a rather dry ride in the center cockpit.

I lived aboard for three years and I've loved every minute of sailing and caring for her. Zero complaints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.