Just finsihed some basic lessons. How do I get in th water now? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road
Just finsihed some basic lessons. How do I get in th water now?

I took some private lessons with someone on the cheap in a small dingy and am looking to keep sailing. I can't afford my own boat and the one place here wont let me take a boat out without getting a cert which costs about 300 from them. Another place is 350.00 a year and that doesn't sound bad but I would like other people to go with.. There is a club around here but they want 300ish just to join. Not sure what to do next.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
I took some private lessons with someone on the cheap in a small dingy and am looking to keep sailing. I can't afford my own boat and the one place here wont let me take a boat out without getting a cert which costs about 300 from them. Another place is 350.00 a year and that doesn't sound bad but I would like other people to go with.. There is a club around here but they want 300ish just to join. Not sure what to do next.
Good start. Work harder and save enough for a small boat. This is a great buyer's market and there are great deals to be had. Down here we see a lot of free sailboats that are going to head to the crusher of no one takes them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 09-02-2011
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road
Yep; I don't know where you are, but I've seen some really great deals on smaller boats lately. Keep an eye on craigslist and marina message boards.
Old 09-03-2011

Thestar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Thestar
Some ideas for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Try crewing on others boats in your area to gain more experience and knowlage.
Many vessels take crew for mile building, sailing experience, company etc some offer free food with a cabin. Great way to learn more and save at the same time.

Hope this is of some help

Kindest Regards

Will
Old 09-03-2011

Thestar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Thestar
Oh no the poor boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Good start. Work harder and save enough for a small boat. This is a great buyer's market and there are great deals to be had. Down here we see a lot of free sailboats that are going to head to the crusher of no one takes them.
Wow boats going to get crushed...sinfull pleasae tell me more?
I enjoy renovating them so any project deemed crushable maybe rescued.

Kindest Regards

Will
Old 09-03-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Mr. Ritz,

You don't give your location but look for sail clubs and sailing associations as opposed to yacht clubs. Sail clubs typically are under $50/year (at least the ones I've come across) and are a great way to get into sailing without a boat of your own. Usually members with boats request other members to help crew for short cruises and local races.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-03-2011

El malabarista is on a distinguished road
I bought a small dinghy ( a minisail) found a book about sailing to get a rough idea and launched into the solent to work it all through. Once i had sailed round in circles a few times and found out that tides make a BIG difference i went to lepe beach and sailed to IOW. after hanging around outside sailing clubs looking pathetic for a while people started to ask me to crew. We all enjoyed the experience so much it led to a job crewing yacht deliveries.
So i reckon hanging around (sailing)clubs and NEVER saying no to any opportunity offered is the way forward. Oh and making people laugh whilst you tackle all the dirtiest jobs that no one else wants to do onboard.
Volunteering at your local sailing school to make up crew numbers is another way to get free sailing. People often drop out at the last minute and the trainee skippers need someone to shout at.
Good luck
Old 09-03-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Smaller local yachtclubs will often have casual racing programs on weekends or evenings - many of these boats typically sail with minimal crew.. It should be easy to sign on as volunteer crew in these situations. We've introduced many people to sailing in this manner.

The upside here is it's free, you may get to sail different boats, and you learn lots fast. It's important, though, to be eager and reliable. If you show up every time you say you will, likely you'll get more hands-on experience and 'move up' the crew ladder quickly.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-03-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Find a local marina, and ask about beer can racing. Beer can racing is a common pretty well every marina I know of in CA - and I am told it is silimar in other states - they have such races, and as they are informal they are generally open to "volunteer" crewmembers.

Regarding "free" boats, there is an old expressions - "There is nothing as expensive as a free boat"! I think it would be best to crew for a while, ask lots of questions, look around. I applaud your enthusiasm, but it would be a pity to get you saddled with a "free" boat too early in your sailing career which crushed your enthusiasm - and wallet! Personally, I think a small "free boat" is a great place to start, I just think a bit of experience will ensure it becomes a good start.
Old 09-03-2011

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road
Sorry I should have given my location. Tampa, FL/ clearwarter and St.Pete