Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Long Island Sound Hurricane debris

We had a great sail today out to mid sound off Stanford and got to see the start of the 2011 Vineyard distance race and hold crap there is a tree trunk or section of broken up dock every 27 feet and I am 100% serious

The vessel Whitehawk at 105 feet Under sail and at full speed was a sight to behold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Tom,
Since you saw the debris in the Sound then you would believe the amount of debris that was in the Hudson last Weds. when I was out there - nucking futs.
Any mariners transiting coastal areas of New England/NY/NJ should be warned to keep a good lookout or keep well clear.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-03-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Lots of big stuff floating by my marina in the Delaware River, too. Unfortunately it floats back upriver on flood tide. Plus the water is extremely turbid from all the silt washed in. Ulladh told me a powerboat damaged his water pumps on Tuesday from sucking the muck into his cooling system.

I hope to get out of the slip this weekend, but don't want to risk holing the boat on a refrigerator or other large obstacle just beneath the surface. Going to have to wait and see.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-03-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Debris in the Sound must be working East. Saw lots when I was out Wednesday. Much less Thursday and very little Friday. That was between Hempstead Harbor and New Rochelle/Larchmont/Mamaronnect.
Old 09-03-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
debris

When this kind of flooding takes place, dead trees and anything else that's not attached float out of entire watersheds. My place in the Adirondacks is a couple of miles from the Hudson but the little creek that normally trickles down the side of the mountain became a wide, raging torrent, dragging stuff that has sat for 100 years off the mountainside and downriver (across my backyard!) on its way to NYC.
This spring, the Hudson itself with hefty snow melt from an old fashioned winter and record rain, broke all records for river height, also clearing out hundreds of years of debris. We watched many huge trees float on by. The locks in the Champlain Canal were inundated with tangles of brush and trunks.
The Hudson holds onto debris for a long time, being a tidal estuary with 4' tides and changing current all the way up to Albany. The Connecticut River must have cleared plenty of stuff heading into LIS, judging from the damage in Vt. There are plenty of hull-holing tree trunks and assorted floating man-made objects to avoid this summer.

The only positive is that 100 year flooding happens only once every 100 years so next year there should be a lot less debris available to wash downriver.
Old 09-03-2011

jppp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Tom,
Since you saw the debris in the Sound then you would believe the amount of debris that was in the Hudson last Weds. when I was out there - nucking futs.
While out with mine and another family (new to sailing Boat partner) sailing the Hudson off Haverstraw on monday, friend at the helm asked when to tack. I replied, "see that 200 foot long line of trees and debris ahead"? Yes, he said. "Well, tack before we get there".
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 09-03-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I was out on friday and saw only small pieces. But there were several calls to CG reporting large items off Bridgeport. I don't think I'll sail at night for a while.
Old 09-03-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Day sail on the Delaware River today out of Essington; the water is less silty but still some scattered small and large pieces of debris. Constant SW 5 to 10kt breeze provided for a relaxing sail with only a few clunks against the hull.

Each tide change shifts slip trapped debris to opposite side of the fairway, but a lot less than earlier in the week.
Old 09-03-2011
Working for next Boat

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The only positive is that 100 year flooding happens only once every 100 years so next year there should be a lot less debris available to wash downriver.
Know this "NEXT year", is the start of the Next 100 years, so be careful

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 09-04-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...Each tide change shifts slip trapped debris to opposite side of the fairway, but a lot less than earlier in the week.
We've actually had less debris in our fairway than we had after the April 17 rain storm. The tidal Delaware crested at an 11' high tide in Philly then, but we only got to 10' this time.

I also checked the historical data for Marcus Hook, Newbold, Tacony, and Burlington, and although their maximum high tides were different than Philly, they were all about a foot less than the crest they had on April 17.

I'm looking forward to heading out tomorrow. I know we'll have to keep a good watch out, but it will be nice to finally get back on the water after a 6 week layoff caused by travel (last 2 weeks of July), vacation (first two weeks of August), and nightly thunderstorms/hurricane (almost every evening since then). No wonder our bottom is so dirty!

See you out there tomorrow!

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.