Why We Will Never Charter Our Boat... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 15
     
My boat doesn't remotely resemble the boat in the pictures. It's not worth nearly as much and the brightwork isn't nearly as shiny. But she's pretty dear to me.
Recently, I had the opportunity to meet a young man who impressed me as a thoughtful and honest person. We corresponded via email for awhile about, among other things, his desire to get into sailing and perhaps go cruising someday .
I eventually felt comfortable enough to make the offer that I would be willing to let him use my boat after he demonstrated his competence in order to give him a real hands on experience. Not only of sailing but also of what it's like to take care of a boat.
He was at the time taking sort of a sabbatical from his career and he actually drove about 2000 miles to get here and stayed for about a month.
We worked together to do a bottom job and I introduced him to the joys of Cetol, all in the miserable Florida summer weather. We sailed together a few times and after awhile I told him to take her out by himself. He was willing to pay for insurance but I ended up just taking his word that he would make it right if anything happened.
I believe that the experience of sailing the boat alone gave him a different insight and that it was important for him to do it.

It also was good for me. It reminded me that being able to touch a person's life in a meaningful way is a lot more valuable and lasting than a floating chunk of fiberglass, wood and steel.

I didn't and wouldn't do something like letting someone sail or use my boat without thinking long and hard and preparing for it. But I won't let the value of the boat outweigh the value of the person in making the decision to do so. And I won't cry about it later if something happens.
LauderBoy likes this.
knothead is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
It reminded me that being able to touch a person's life in a meaningful way is a lot more valuable and lasting than a floating chunk of fiberglass, wood and steel.
Knotty -- if this doesn't garner you the respect you deserve, I don't know what will. You're a good egg in my book.
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charleston
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
For Ibis, I am thinking about pimpin' her out. I was reluctant at first but I need to diversify my (and her) career. The architecture thang ain't workin'. I would never ever bareboat charter my hinck. I would do it with a captain ( me).
b40Ibis is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Senior Member
 
rbrasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 569
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
We worked together to do a bottom job and I introduced him to the joys of Cetol, all in the miserable Florida summer weather.
Doing repair or maintenance work like this before sailing also gives one perspective to how much work having a nice, sturdy boat requires. In other words, the average Joe would be less apt to treat a boat like a playground if he /she knew what it would take to clean it up afterward.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
rbrasi is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Senior Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,830
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
 
knot,

What you did was weigh the man's worth before you entrusted him with your dear vessel. Completely 2 different situations. You should get a fat reward for what you did. It was brave, unselfish, and you're blessed........i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imagine2frolic is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,048
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
My boat doesn't remotely resemble the boat in the pictures. It's not worth nearly as much and the brightwork isn't nearly as shiny. But she's pretty dear to me.
Recently, I had the opportunity to meet a young man who impressed me as a thoughtful and honest person. We corresponded via email for awhile about, among other things, his desire to get into sailing and perhaps go cruising someday .
I eventually felt comfortable enough to make the offer that I would be willing to let him use my boat after he demonstrated his competence in order to give him a real hands on experience. Not only of sailing but also of what it's like to take care of a boat.
He was at the time taking sort of a sabbatical from his career and he actually drove about 2000 miles to get here and stayed for about a month.
We worked together to do a bottom job and I introduced him to the joys of Cetol, all in the miserable Florida summer weather. We sailed together a few times and after awhile I told him to take her out by himself. He was willing to pay for insurance but I ended up just taking his word that he would make it right if anything happened.
I believe that the experience of sailing the boat alone gave him a different insight and that it was important for him to do it.

It also was good for me. It reminded me that being able to touch a person's life in a meaningful way is a lot more valuable and lasting than a floating chunk of fiberglass, wood and steel.

I didn't and wouldn't do something like letting someone sail or use my boat without thinking long and hard and preparing for it. But I won't let the value of the boat outweigh the value of the person in making the decision to do so. And I won't cry about it later if something happens.
Its great that you were willing to invest your time to help this guy fufil his ambitions. However he was obviously a guy willing to put in the sweat and intellectual equity to become competent. However there are far too many in the world that feel a large account balance is all thats required.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
PalmettoSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS. Is keelhauling not permitted in the U.S.A.? or is that too quick and easey for the Mummbty that allowed this to happen to a nice sailling vesseL . GO SAFE
captflood is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 23 Old 09-04-2011
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
tdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16,402
Thanks: 15
Thanked 103 Times in 97 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
The question is one of charter not lend to a friend. I know people, good sailors who I would let take out my boat and I've been offered the same, even by a couple of fine people from this forum. To hand her over to an outright stranger on charter ? No, I don't think so.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
tdw is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 23 Old 09-06-2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Lara

Thanks for all your concern for Lara. If you sail long enough and far enough sooner or later something like this happens. The charter who did this is an Army Major who has spent time in Iraq defending us. He sure forget to check the tides or ask if he could dock there. Knowing Mr. Lunt, he would of said, " sure, you can dock there but there won't be any water at low tide."

It's odd. I get more upset by the rudeness of a few of the comments than the fact Lara was on the hard.

Enjoy.

Keating Pepper
peppe is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 23 Old 09-06-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charleston
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Peppe, Is Lara a competition 41 or a bermuda 40? Just wondering... Is she ok? Just a few scratches I hope.
b40Ibis is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i charter my boat? christianoronaldo Chartering 7 03-03-2011 01:19 PM
charter your boat to others ? tstewart137 Chartering 10 08-10-2010 03:35 PM
Would you charter an old boat? billbalme Pacific Seacraft 11 11-29-2009 01:30 PM
CHARTER YOUR BOAT??? Silversailor General Discussion (sailing related) 0 08-28-2001 06:42 PM
I WANT TO CHARTER YOUR BOAT Silversailor Chartering 0 08-28-2001 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome