Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011

golfishunt is on a distinguished road
water in the hull of the boat

I have just purchased a used Catalina 22. I have had smaller boats years ago but not where I had to worry about this problem. There are drain holes in the cockpit of the boat that are attached to a pipe that goes below the subfloor and into the hull of the boat. Is there a drain port in the keel area that eliminates this water or do you have to bilge in some manner? If bilging is required, how do you accomplish this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Congratulations on your new boat. The Catalina 22 is a wonderful design; some 18,000 of them built, and you can get any replacement part for them easily from the Catalina Users Group in CA.

My Catalina 22 (poptop model) cockpit drains were piped overboard, not into the bilge. I fitted a bilge pump anyway for rain water and other water intrusion, but mostly didn't have to use it.

Only problem with the cockpit drains was in the fall when leaves would clog them easily.

Bill
Old 09-04-2011

golfishunt is on a distinguished road
where and how do you install the bilge pump? The subfloor is sealed and no way to get below it. Also, the galley sink also drains into the same area as the cockpit drains.
Old 09-04-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
That pipe drains out into the keel slot, not into the boat itself. When you remove the cover panel, what you are seeing is the bottom of the boat.

Gongrats on the Catalina 22, I love mine.
Old 09-04-2011

Bilikin is on a distinguished road
you should have hoses attached to the underside of the cockpit drains that go to a Y fitting which is then attached to a 'seacock' (if it is a gate valve (handle like a yard faucet) you will want to replace that right away) the seacock should have a handle so that the valve can be closed if there is a problem with the hose or clamps. Usually the handle is left open so that the cockpit will drain. Most C 22 owners also install overboard drains at the afte end of the cockpit as the original drains clog easily and cannot handle large amounts of water.
There may also be water in the bilge (the lowest part of the inside hull) and this is usually a result of leaks (C 22s leak at the windows). I use a sponge to get the water up and out into the cockpit but some people install a bilge pump. You can get a hand pump which is not very well made and leaks more water back than it pumps, or you can use a battery opperated one which will then require a battery and charging system. So I use the sponge or a plastic 'bailer' made from an empty Tide soap container.
Not to worry... all boats leak some and get water in the bilge. That is the function/design of the bilge in the first place.