limits of a ds 20 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2011 Thread Starter

limits of a ds 20

Hi there folks! I'm quite new to sailing and recently bought a 1975 ds 20, which seems like a fairly good beginner boat. I'm looking forward to taking a sailing course next spring, but in the meantime I know enough to enjoy myself in light winds(10-15km/hr). However, I'm nervous about the heeling the boat does, even in these winds, and I'm anxious about capsizing it! I'm aware that much of this is learned through experience, but does anybody else feel this way? I've also heard that my boat(keelboat, short draft) will heel until the mast touches the water and STILL right itself. Has anyone actually experienced this?
Thanks for your replies!
Ben
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2011
s/v Ilya

I'm the same way you are. I know in theory that the boat is highly unlikely to capsize, and on those occasions when I just let go of the tiller, the boat rights itself every time. But that doesn't prevent me gettin' the bejeezus scared out of me when I heel at 15 degrees or more. I know, seasoned sailors are sayin'
"what a sailing wimp," but that's how I am at the moment. And no, I've never gotten my mast anywhere near touching the water.

Folks tell me it just takes time and patience to get over this. One thing people have also told me is to be sure my sails are well balanced. Something I've got to do before the fall (I guess that's now, huh?) is install my jiffy reefing system so I can modify how much of the main is up and try different combinations with the roller furling jib. Sooner or later, I hope to become comfortable enough that a little 15 degree heel is just getting started.

Ilya's Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2011 Thread Starter

Ya I hear ya! There really isn't much info out there on my boat, maybe because of it's age? I'm looking forward to pulling it out of the water and working on it. Anybody out there know much about the ds 20 and what it can do?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2012
midlife crisis member

Re: limits of a ds 20

I sail one and it's a very safe and stable boat. Lots of freeboard so it keeps you dry. Sorry it took so long to respond.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2012 Thread Starter

limits of a ds 20

Thanks thumbs! I've been using your thread concerning your boat refit since I'm doing the same myself. Our boats differ a little tho.....I think yours is a mark II, and has a retractable keel, while mine is a mark I with a shoal keel. Makes for some interesting heeling angles....good boat tho! Had it out last season, hopefully will be able to get the tail end of this one. Maybe...
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2012
Banned

Re: limits of a ds 20

Open boats rarely fail due to flipping over ( capesize ), they fail when the cockpit fills with water and they sink.

That is why we designed the Harbor 20 daysailer to have positive floatation.

BTW - most any keelboat should have positive stability at 90 degrees of heel
post #7 of 7 Old 07-03-2012 Thread Starter

limits of a ds 20

Thanks wds!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.