Sun Mask - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-04-2011 Thread Starter

Sun Mask

So, I was listening to 'Let's talk hookups' on am1090 (fishing show- I do not fish, but I love this program), and they mentioned that fishermen are now using sun masks instead of constantly applying sunscreen. I hate sunscreen like some people hate to touch cotton. This looks like a winner to me. Can anyone expound on their experience with one of these? The Patagonia one looks cool.
Patagonia Sun Mask | Face and Neck sun protection while Fishing

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-04-2011

I think the desert sun hats with a BIG brim and a nice cloth tail to cover your neck make much more sense

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-04-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
I agree with Tom. I recently switched to a big brimmed hat, and that works well for me. I quickly sweat sunscreen off of my face and neck, even the sweat resistant stuff.

I would not walk around with that sun mask. People would mistake me for a bandit!

T. P. Donnelly
S/V Tranquility Base
1984 Islander 30 Bahama
Pasadena, MD
post #4 of 15 Old 09-04-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
One problem with wearing wide brimmed hats out on the water is that they are not designed to stop sun glare reflected off the water cooking you from below.

Light-coloured ones are particularly bad in this regard.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
post #5 of 15 Old 09-05-2011

I'm one who hates sunscreen, simply because I can't stand oily crap on my skin. (think I'd be used to it since my side business is auto and motorcycle repair)

For me the solution is pretty easy, I have long hair so my neck is covered and a beard so neck and lower face is covered, the rest is taken care of with a hat and sunglasses.

Normally, the beard and hair is groomed, but since I often ride the motorcycle to the boat both are sometimes in disarray when I get there. Been questioned a few times for trying to break into my own boat, which I guess is actually a good thing.

I'm also not a fan of sunscreen anyway, according to many studies the incidence of many sun induced skin cancers has increased in direct proportion to the use of sunscreen.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-05-2011
BoatSmith

Never tried one and I am certainly in no hurry to get one. Yuk!

BoatSmith ---Boatbuilder
post #7 of 15 Old 09-05-2011

I don't think wrapping your face in cloth would be a comfortable option on a 90 degree day. You would have to really hate sunscreen. It doesn't look like an option for me, but if it works for you...

always in decline-never hitting bottom
post #8 of 15 Old 09-05-2011 Thread Starter

I am bald as a baby and a wide brimmed hat 1) blows off in wind 2) doesn't protect every direction, as was mentioned. I've spent many hours in the desert with those on and they are great if I'm mostly sedentary. So, I'm gathering that SNers don't use masks. I'll give it a go and provide some feedback.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #9 of 15 Old 09-05-2011

Maybe it is time for a reality check. instead of feeding the fear industry, let's ask ourselves, "How big a problem is sun exposure?"

How 'bout a quick poll:
How many sailors do you know?
How long have they been sailing?
How many hours of sun exposure does that equal?
How many have been treated for skin cancer?

Look, I'm not trying to downplay the impact of skin cancer, but , c'mon, the "unless-you-buy-our-overpriced-bandanna-and-dress-like-a-ninja-you-are-gonna-die" school of marketing just plain pisses me off.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

post #10 of 15 Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post
For me the solution is pretty easy, I have long hair so my neck is covered and a beard so neck and lower face is covered, the rest is taken care of with a hat and sunglasses.

Normally, the beard and hair is groomed, but since I often ride the motorcycle to the boat both are sometimes in disarray when I get there. Been questioned a few times for trying to break into my own boat, which I guess is actually a good thing.
Yeah, I can see that. Long hair, bushy beard, sunglasses, hat... not the look that would go unnoticed on my dock.

Quote:
I'm also not a fan of sunscreen anyway, according to many studies the incidence of many sun induced skin cancers has increased in direct proportion to the use of sunscreen.
Just because there is a correlation between two things does not mean there is any causal relationship between them. A number of demographic factors can cause the relationship between the two.

This lack of understanding the difference between correlation and causation leads to a lot of very bad science reporting the popular press. Anyone recall these two "causal" relationships that were reported in the popular press from years back?

- Listening to Mozart in uteros makes babies smarter.
- Nightlights in bedrooms make children nearsighted.

Neither are true, but in both cases there is a correlation that exists.

So, don't throw away the sunscreen. Just this last year a 10 year prospective, randomized study on the use of sunscreen and skin cancer was reported on. The study found a 50% reduction in Melanoma in those participants who used sunscreen daily compared to the control group who did what they wanted to, when they wanted to it. This is the first prospective study that was done and was reasonably designed. Other studies will need to be completed to confirm it, but this is real evidence, not simply a retrospective correlation.

Dave

47*20'11.7" N
122*35'20.8" W
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.