Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Sun Mask

So, I was listening to 'Let's talk hookups' on am1090 (fishing show- I do not fish, but I love this program), and they mentioned that fishermen are now using sun masks instead of constantly applying sunscreen. I hate sunscreen like some people hate to touch cotton. This looks like a winner to me. Can anyone expound on their experience with one of these? The Patagonia one looks cool.
Patagonia Sun Mask | Face and Neck sun protection while Fishing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I think the desert sun hats with a BIG brim and a nice cloth tail to cover your neck make much more sense

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
I agree with Tom. I recently switched to a big brimmed hat, and that works well for me. I quickly sweat sunscreen off of my face and neck, even the sweat resistant stuff.

I would not walk around with that sun mask. People would mistake me for a bandit!
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-04-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
One problem with wearing wide brimmed hats out on the water is that they are not designed to stop sun glare reflected off the water cooking you from below.

Light-coloured ones are particularly bad in this regard.
Old 09-05-2011

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
I'm one who hates sunscreen, simply because I can't stand oily crap on my skin. (think I'd be used to it since my side business is auto and motorcycle repair)

For me the solution is pretty easy, I have long hair so my neck is covered and a beard so neck and lower face is covered, the rest is taken care of with a hat and sunglasses.

Normally, the beard and hair is groomed, but since I often ride the motorcycle to the boat both are sometimes in disarray when I get there. Been questioned a few times for trying to break into my own boat, which I guess is actually a good thing.

I'm also not a fan of sunscreen anyway, according to many studies the incidence of many sun induced skin cancers has increased in direct proportion to the use of sunscreen.
Old 09-05-2011
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
Never tried one and I am certainly in no hurry to get one. Yuk!
Old 09-05-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I don't think wrapping your face in cloth would be a comfortable option on a 90 degree day. You would have to really hate sunscreen. It doesn't look like an option for me, but if it works for you...
Old 09-05-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
I am bald as a baby and a wide brimmed hat 1) blows off in wind 2) doesn't protect every direction, as was mentioned. I've spent many hours in the desert with those on and they are great if I'm mostly sedentary. So, I'm gathering that SNers don't use masks. I'll give it a go and provide some feedback.
Old 09-05-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Maybe it is time for a reality check. instead of feeding the fear industry, let's ask ourselves, "How big a problem is sun exposure?"

How 'bout a quick poll:
How many sailors do you know?
How long have they been sailing?
How many hours of sun exposure does that equal?
How many have been treated for skin cancer?

Look, I'm not trying to downplay the impact of skin cancer, but , c'mon, the "unless-you-buy-our-overpriced-bandanna-and-dress-like-a-ninja-you-are-gonna-die" school of marketing just plain pisses me off.

Old 09-05-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post
For me the solution is pretty easy, I have long hair so my neck is covered and a beard so neck and lower face is covered, the rest is taken care of with a hat and sunglasses.

Normally, the beard and hair is groomed, but since I often ride the motorcycle to the boat both are sometimes in disarray when I get there. Been questioned a few times for trying to break into my own boat, which I guess is actually a good thing.
Yeah, I can see that. Long hair, bushy beard, sunglasses, hat... not the look that would go unnoticed on my dock.

Quote:
I'm also not a fan of sunscreen anyway, according to many studies the incidence of many sun induced skin cancers has increased in direct proportion to the use of sunscreen.
Just because there is a correlation between two things does not mean there is any causal relationship between them. A number of demographic factors can cause the relationship between the two.

This lack of understanding the difference between correlation and causation leads to a lot of very bad science reporting the popular press. Anyone recall these two "causal" relationships that were reported in the popular press from years back?

- Listening to Mozart in uteros makes babies smarter.
- Nightlights in bedrooms make children nearsighted.

Neither are true, but in both cases there is a correlation that exists.

So, don't throw away the sunscreen. Just this last year a 10 year prospective, randomized study on the use of sunscreen and skin cancer was reported on. The study found a 50% reduction in Melanoma in those participants who used sunscreen daily compared to the control group who did what they wanted to, when they wanted to it. This is the first prospective study that was done and was reasonably designed. Other studies will need to be completed to confirm it, but this is real evidence, not simply a retrospective correlation.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on