Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
38-42 foot liveaboard sailboat

I am looking at some used sailboats under $75k
I have seen the Pearson 42 and some other boats like a C&C and a CSY and some of the older (1970-1985) sailboats. They all look really nice.
Question: if you were going to buy a used boat in this price range, and you wanted to sail down the east coast from the Chesapeake, and into Florida and on to the Bahamas and back--- are there any specific makes that you would recommend me looking into? I know that each boat is individual as it relates to its actual condition, but since there are so many on the market - is there something that you could say to help me focus on my search?
I had originally thought i would get a 28 foot IP but she is not into that small size. Even my friend Bruce Van Sant (Gentleman's Guide...") said a 30-footer may be too small to live aboard with all the needed gear plus my lady. It's not like we are both nineteen (19) years old and she is into roughing it. All she wants is a nice bedroom aft....not alot to ask. As for me, if I was alone as a bachelor, I could (and have) sailed off in a 28 footer and felt it was cavernous.
I would like to get a Catamaran, but the expense is about 50k more than I would like to spend, although I really like the extra accommodations and the speed of the cats.
But if I cant afford a used Cat, then is there a 38-42 foot boat you can recommend that would have that nice big aft stateroom? I don't really like sleeping with my lady in the traditional V-berth with all the motion at anchor and it seems only the larger boats have the nice rear stateroom (not the quarter-berth which is nice for me alone...but not big enough for my lady and I).
If you can refer me to my search for a coastal cruiser that might have that aft stateroom- that would be appreciated. I guess I am stuck because i want a big enough boat to liveaboard in comfort but for another 50k I could get what I really want which is a used Cat.
Plus, I really like the extra speed of the Cats over a monohull cruiser (12 knots vs. 5 - what's not to like?)
HELP!! I am in boat buyers purgatory!!
Any input from those who have been in this 'I don't know which boat to get!/indecision' phase. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Hunter Legend 40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-05-2011
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Go poke around, crawl over and under anything on your size/price range. Even if you know its a non-starter, go look at it. Hopefully this will help you come up with a short list of acceptable makes/models. Then you can start to look for the boats on your short list and shop for the best condition, rather than narrowing your search down to one model only.

Given that your budget for the size you'd like is a little bit on the tight side, you need to have more than one boat in mind in order to maximize your buyingpower. In the end, the right boat will find you if you take your time.

I wouldn't rule out newer production boats either. For runniing around the coast and the Bahamas? You could do a lot worse than a newer Beneteay/Jeanneau for instance. If you decide you have to sail the Capes you can always buy a boat suited for that purpose later.
This is coming from someone who bought a heavy cruiser because of an ambtious itenary. Love my boat but do not underestimate the expense in refitting an older "blue water" boat. It would eat up your budget very, very quickly.

Our little blog has moved!
Old 09-05-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
I do not sell boats
I am not related to this person
I have never met this person nor the broker.
I have no connection to this person, the broker nor the sailboat.

BUT - If I had the money, me, personally, I would be looking at and probably making an offer on Wildfire.

Rik
Old 09-05-2011

snotter is on a distinguished road
My Morgan 415 Out Island may not win any races but she really excels at the dock.
Old 09-05-2011

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
ditto the Hunter Legend.
Old 09-05-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
is there a 38-42 foot boat you can recommend that would have that nice big aft stateroom?
Hold the press don't buy until you have looked at a Hunter Passage 42 by far the best aft cabin and bathroom on a boat of that size. An early one will be in your price range and has the benefit of a backstay.
Old 09-05-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
there is one of these on my dock (the 38) that is really neat...
Morgan sailboats for sale by owner.

given my druthers i would probably buy one of these:
Cheoy Lee 41 yacht for sale
Cheoy Lee boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
I like the Robert Perry designed 41...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-05-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Just curious as to what Bruce advised?........i2f
rappsks likes this.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-05-2011

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
Subscribed