Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Great you found a boat and yes working on a boat is part of owning a boat otherwise rent a charter WITH crew and have no fun. I agree the market is still tough and only a few old boats might move that have a 'good' name, but there are many Good Old Boats out there. As a matter of fact you should subscribe to G.O.B. many good articles on messing around in boats plus a great back log of articles especially for a popular boat like your C&C. An old boat is only as good as the PO took care of her.
As for Arjen take a look at mine (all freshwater) under "sailingtexas.com"
ltgoshen likes this.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Yep, I was talking about the free boats about six months back. I read a few on here that actually thought the market would come back. It has not, and I still see free boats at some of the marinas. Also a LOT of lien sales. We're years out from the market coming back. Still seeing the higher priced boats falling down a few tiers on the price scale. 40' Formosas in good condition going for $29k...

We looked at a 48 foot steel boat last weekend. The marina wanted $6500 for her on a lien sale, but she needed more work then we were willing to put into her.

Still a great market for people to get into. At least it's a good time for those that could not normally buy a sailboat to get their feet wet. Oops, maybe that wasn't a good choice of words!
When do these lien sales generally happen? Should I just call local marinas and see what they have, or is there some kind of auction or listing or something?

This thread is giving me hope that I will find a liveaboard of at least 30' in my price range... 5K lol...
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 01-30-2012

benjmin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
When do these lien sales generally happen? Should I just call local marinas and see what they have, or is there some kind of auction or listing or something?

This thread is giving me hope that I will find a liveaboard of at least 30' in my price range... 5K lol...
After having many yacht brokers laugh at me because of my low budget. A broker for "Certified Sales" in Charleston S.C. Found me my boat. It was floating at the docks, abandoned because the owner lost it for lack of money to pay bills. And the marina & company that cleans the bottoms had a lien on it. I paid the marina and bottom cleaners a small amount of money and the boat was mine.

So yes, call marina's. Call brokers.. Never hurts to ask... Lots of deals are word of mouth.

Or go look at certifiedsales website see if they have anything in stock.

Hope I was helpful....
tomperanteau likes this.

Last edited by benjmin; 01-30-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2012

tra is on a distinguished road
The marina where I keep my boat has several abandoned boats. They just take up space and bring no income. Some have been there for several years. Most are "sunk on land" They are full of rancid water from rain and snow. The interior wood is rotten or delaminated. Things like cushions are useless. Cost to save the the boat is more than the boat is worth. The marina has to pay big bucks to get rid of the boat. It's hazardus waste.

Having said that, I would go to marinas and look at boats in the storage yards. If the registration sticker is more than a year old, say 2010, I'd go to the office and ask. There may be a mechanic lien on the boat. You should dress and present your self as a pratical and responsible person. More than one person has adopted a boat and walked away when he found out how much work it became. Offer 6 mos or a years slip fee up front. That will surely get their attention.They know who's late on their rent. Make sure the marina allows you to work on your boat!

When I store my boat, the first thing I do after it's been set is pull the hose off the lowest through hull ball valve and open it. That way if a 4' snowfall and freezing temps hit my boat won't sink on land and become worthless. There are sites that will give a check list for your own survey, delaminated decks, rotted bulkheads, bad keelbolts, mechanical issues. bad sails. Happy hunting, I wish I could be there, it's fun.
Old 01-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Is the sailboat market really this bad?

To get back to the op's question;

YES.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-30-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
And be gratefull if your a buyer in this market...
Old 01-30-2012

rrodak is on a distinguished road
ltgoshen -

I am interested in the steps you took to recently purchase your boat. I tried to PM you, but I don't have the minumum posts yet.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Donít mean to revive an old thread "BUT" I have an update.
I am the the proud new owner on a 1981 C&C 30 MK1 in fair to good shape. I followed the advice of this thread and tracked down the owner of a yacht with some hull growth on her and out-dated documenting. The owner was pleased that I contacted them. They had no idea what they were going to do. The husband was no longer able to sail and the lady never did. So I got the boat for a song. And "sure" it needs some work. I have spent the last 5 weekends on her. Working on the thru-hulls that are stuck, Oil change to the Yanmar engine, New impeller, pulled all cushions out for cleaning and zipper work. Pulled the delaminated holly-teak ply wood sole out. This week, I will have it hauled out cleaned and painted. While there, I will work on the wiring for the instruments "7" St-50 wind, speed, depth, apparent-true wind etc. I will clean out the fresh water holding tanks and the poop holding tank. I will rework the marine head. So, yea there is a lot to do. But ya know what? I am having the time of my life. I am so excited with this project. Most of it I can do my self, and the good part is that I am on a mooring that I now own. She will have the Feb hull cleaning and and painted be dried in. C&C 30 MK1 The begining of a dream - YouTube
So recap anybody looking for a free boat there all over the place. They are not all in bad shape and will need a lot of TLC. I paid $2,500 dollar for her. It will cost another $2,500. To get it ready. Thatís $5,000. For a $23,000. I know I know. To you guys out there with all the money that you ask your self whatís your time worth? Do I want to spend all my time repairing float switches in the grimy bilge or do I want to sail. Well to us normal folks, itís a way to enjoy the day on the water and follow our dream with little or no investment but time. Any body want some help on how I did send me a p.m and I will give you step by step on how to get a boat. The rest will be up to you. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this forum. IT WORKED!!!!!!
See ya in the breeze, C&C 30 MK1 drive by - YouTube
ltgoshen likes this.
Old 01-30-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
So tell us your buying secret and congratulations.
Old 01-30-2012

Passat is on a distinguished road
The market is really bad. I recearched yachworld and found that in Europe sailboat prices already much lower than in USA, in average $15000 or more. The best example Grece and Croatia. It's better buy boat there, but it's not cheap to ship it here, unless you're experienced enough to buy and sail away. Any comments?
Old 01-30-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
On the South of Europe is not "that bad" is worse and getting worse. The right time to buy a boat: more and more boats are for sale and some for more than 2 years.

Also a very bad time for most of the boat manufacturers

Regards

Paulo