Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
The market has bifurcated - boats appealing to the true wealthy continue to sell well. However, boats for the merely prosperous are languishing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilby View Post
That generation is slowly getting off the water with no replacements in sight. I would not consider a boat if I had $2,500 per month mortgage payments like so many 30's and 40's have now.
Yeah. The life path these days is you have to go to college for a decent job, so you sink 40-100k into loans for that. Meet a girl there or shortly after and sink another 25k into the wedding. Do the apartment thing until you're ready to have kids and then sink 200-300k into a home that's in a good school district. Pre-school will run you 1k+ a month and you're a bad parent today if you skip it(wonder how I survived without it?). Family health insurance can run about 500-1k per month too.

Monthly boat payments + slip fees + maintenance isn't going to happen when you only have 10 paid vacation days a year to enjoy your boat and since you have set fixed loan/house/insurance/etc payments due each month, you can't take any extended time off.

Living like the above you're pretty much limited to weekend outings and toys you can fit in your garage and tow behind your SUV.
Old 09-10-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
The boat market is very much like the housing market at this time...IMHO...FWIW...

Yes, it's a buyers market. Lot's of people are looking for one of these great deals. First they have to sell what they have. They paid XXX and they want to get what they put into it so they can upgrade at a lower price. So, they put something on the market that won't sell in the price range they are asking.

This leaves the market flooded with things that may never sell and forces those who really need to sell now to take whatever they can get.

No shortage of people hoping to get lucky.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 09-10-2011

Yado is on a distinguished road
Young People and Sailing

One option to make it more enticing: Access to affordable and functional boat ramps, along with an overhead bar to help raise the mast would make it less complicated than paying a yard or renting a slip.
Even if you can find a ramp that is long/short/steep/deep enough to handle your trailer sailor, the real limiting factor to trailer sailing is raising the mast without the help of a crew.
Some boat yards used to let you toss a line over a bar or an old lift to help leverage the mast up. That made it so much easier, and cheaper, to take the boat from the driveway and use it for a day or a weekend.
Makes it a more spontaneous activity providing spur-of-the-moment-fun.
Old 09-10-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Yeah. The life path these days is you have to go to college for a decent job, so you sink 40-100k into loans for that. Meet a girl there or shortly after and sink another 25k into the wedding. Do the apartment thing until you're ready to have kids and then sink 200-300k into a home that's in a good school district. Pre-school will run you 1k+ a month and you're a bad parent today if you skip it(wonder how I survived without it?). Family health insurance can run about 500-1k per month too.

Monthly boat payments + slip fees + maintenance isn't going to happen when you only have 10 paid vacation days a year to enjoy your boat and since you have set fixed loan/house/insurance/etc payments due each month, you can't take any extended time off.

Living like the above you're pretty much limited to weekend outings and toys you can fit in your garage and tow behind your SUV.
Yeah, pass the hemlock....

Time and money are often mutually exclusive of one another. And when they do team up, they're nowhere to be found!
Old 09-10-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
The market has bifurcated - boats appealing to the true wealthy continue to sell well. However, boats for the merely prosperous are languishing.
All US markets are in this condition. As the nation's wealth concentrates more and more in the hands of fewer and fewer, only products that interest this market segment move. Unfortunately there aren't enough of them to underwrite a prosperous national economy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 09-10-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yado View Post
One option to make it more enticing: Access to affordable and functional boat ramps, along with an overhead bar to help raise the mast would make it less complicated than paying a yard or renting a slip.
Even if you can find a ramp that is long/short/steep/deep enough to handle your trailer sailor, the real limiting factor to trailer sailing is raising the mast without the help of a crew.
Some boat yards used to let you toss a line over a bar or an old lift to help leverage the mast up. That made it so much easier, and cheaper, to take the boat from the driveway and use it for a day or a weekend.
Makes it a more spontaneous activity providing spur-of-the-moment-fun.

Smithville Lake in Missouri near Kansas City has exactly this: a utility-type pole with a yard and a block and tackle right near the gate. Hoist your mast, pay your ten bucks ($35.00 annual) and go sailing. 8,000 acres, too many big powerboats, but a lot of young people sail it anyway.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 12-30-2011

nissantwa is on a distinguished road
free sailboats

I've been offered a few too. Classic plastic. I took 2 Catalina 22's but after I've put $500 in them to refurbish, can't find any buyers at $850. Also offered a Coronado 25? for free but that's bigger money. Harbormaster has lien sales with few bidders. This is on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula. Since slip fees equal a car payment, I can understand reluctant owners.
Old 12-30-2011

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
I bought a boat last year from a broker that had originally been listed over 120k. Out of state seller, clearly ready to dump it, was listed at 40k when I bought it. I paid 30. It has some issues, but it also has new standing rigging, reasonable sails, and a solid engine. I live on board and I'm hoping to have it in good enough shape to go cruising for the long term in the next few years. I knew I had the sickness when, while cleaning my boat, I started thinking about buying a sailing dinghy to screw around with.

Buyer's market fo sho.
Old 12-30-2011
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
C&C 30 MK1 Almost Free

I picked up a C&C 30 MK1 last week for almost free. Needs a little work Has 7 sails in great shape, has a yanmar 2Gm diesel runs great no smoking tapping or spewing water. Soles are delaminated needs some running rigging and a bottom job. But for almost free Iím there. I have a nice boat that needs a little TLC. Itís on a mooring, so I can afford some time to put the effort into her. She is not far from sail away condition. The last owner tried for 7 years to sell her for a fair asking price and finely gave up. I was in the right place with money. Very little money,
aeventyr60 likes this.