Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Don’t mean to revive an old thread "BUT" I have an update.
I am the the proud new owner on a 1981 C&C 30 MK1 in fair to good shape. I followed the advice of this thread and tracked down the owner of a yacht with some hull growth on her and out-dated documenting. The owner was pleased that I contacted them. They had no idea what they were going to do. The husband was no longer able to sail and the lady never did. So I got the boat for a song. And "sure" it needs some work. I have spent the last 5 weekends on her. Working on the thru-hulls that are stuck, Oil change to the Yanmar engine, New impeller, pulled all cushions out for cleaning and zipper work. Pulled the delaminated holly-teak ply wood sole out. This week, I will have it hauled out cleaned and painted. While there, I will work on the wiring for the instruments "7" St-50 wind, speed, depth, apparent-true wind etc. I will clean out the fresh water holding tanks and the poop holding tank. I will rework the marine head. So, yea there is a lot to do. But ya know what? I am having the time of my life. I am so excited with this project. Most of it I can do my self, and the good part is that I am on a mooring that I now own. She will have the Feb hull cleaning and and painted be dried in. C&C 30 MK1 The begining of a dream - YouTube
So recap anybody looking for a free boat there all over the place. They are not all in bad shape and will need a lot of TLC. I paid $2,500 dollar for her. It will cost another $2,500. To get it ready. That’s $5,000. For a $23,000. I know I know. To you guys out there with all the money that you ask your self what’s your time worth? Do I want to spend all my time repairing float switches in the grimy bilge or do I want to sail. Well to us normal folks, it’s a way to enjoy the day on the water and follow our dream with little or no investment but time. Any body want some help on how I did send me a p.m and I will give you step by step on how to get a boat. The rest will be up to you. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this forum. IT WORKED!!!!!!
See ya in the breeze, C&C 30 MK1 drive by - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Donít mean to revive an old thread "BUT" I have an update.
I am the the proud new owner on a 1981 C&C 30 MK1 in fair to good shape. I followed the advice of this thread and tracked down the owner of a yacht with some hull growth on her and out-dated documenting. The owner was pleased that I contacted them. They had no idea what they were going to do. The husband was no longer able to sail and the lady never did. So I got the boat for a song. And "sure" it needs some work. I have spent the last 5 weekends on her. Working on the thru-hulls that are stuck, Oil change to the Yanmar engine, New impeller, pulled all cushions out for cleaning and zipper work. Pulled the delaminated holly-teak ply wood sole out. This week, I will have it hauled out cleaned and painted. While there, I will work on the wiring for the instruments "7" St-50 wind, speed, depth, apparent-true wind etc. I will clean out the fresh water holding tanks and the poop holding tank. I will rework the marine head. So, yea there is a lot to do. But ya know what? I am having the time of my life. I am so excited with this project. Most of it I can do my self, and the good part is that I am on a mooring that I now own. She will have the Feb hull cleaning and and painted be dried in. C&C 30 MK1 The begining of a dream - YouTube
So recap anybody looking for a free boat there all over the place. They are not all in bad shape and will need a lot of TLC. I paid $2,500 dollar for her. It will cost another $2,500. To get it ready. Thatís $5,000. For a $23,000. I know I know. To you guys out there with all the money that you ask your self whatís your time worth? Do I want to spend all my time repairing float switches in the grimy bilge or do I want to sail. Well to us normal folks, itís a way to enjoy the day on the water and follow our dream with little or no investment but time. Any body want some help on how I did send me a p.m and I will give you step by step on how to get a boat. The rest will be up to you. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this forum. IT WORKED!!!!!!
See ya in the breeze, C&C 30 MK1 drive by - YouTube
Congrats! Sounds like it will be a great boat for you.

Whatever gets you on the water, works!
ltgoshen likes this.
Old 01-29-2012

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Ha, this tread looks a lot more promising than the replies to the thread i made

For those that know what im talking about: I just arived in Ft Launderdale today. Tomorrow i start buying myself a phone, camera, measuring tape and some more details to get started. I printed about 30 boats from sailboatlisting in florida in the 5000-15000$ and 27 - 35 ft range that are listed as "good" or "excelent" condition. So thats where i will be starting at.

For those that didnt read my tread: I will still be happy to hear from people in this area that would like to help me in person to buy a boat since i don't have experience yet to know what to look at !
ltgoshen and Shipislandpirate like this.
Old 01-29-2012

benjmin is on a distinguished road
Have fun! I remember the joy of looking for a boat to buy.
Hope I never have to do it again. Ugh!
Old 01-29-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Ha, this tread looks a lot more promising than the replies to the thread i made

For those that know what im talking about: I just arived in Ft Launderdale today. Tomorrow i start buying myself a phone, camera, measuring tape and some more details to get started. I printed about 30 boats from sailboatlisting in florida in the 5000-15000$ and 27 - 35 ft range that are listed as "good" or "excelent" condition. So thats where i will be starting at.

For those that didnt read my tread: I will still be happy to hear from people in this area that would like to help me in person to buy a boat since i don't have experience yet to know what to look at !
I'll be happy to help you but I'm in Connecticut.
Our boats are generally in better shape but it is pretty miserable looking in the rain and snow and cold.
Old 01-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Congrats. The Water Rat had it right - "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

As a matter of fact......
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-30-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Yep, I was talking about the free boats about six months back. I read a few on here that actually thought the market would come back. It has not, and I still see free boats at some of the marinas. Also a LOT of lien sales. We're years out from the market coming back. Still seeing the higher priced boats falling down a few tiers on the price scale. 40' Formosas in good condition going for $29k...

We looked at a 48 foot steel boat last weekend. The marina wanted $6500 for her on a lien sale, but she needed more work then we were willing to put into her.

Still a great market for people to get into. At least it's a good time for those that could not normally buy a sailboat to get their feet wet. Oops, maybe that wasn't a good choice of words!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 01-30-2012

tra is on a distinguished road
Sweet boat igoshen. My Contest 27's halliards looked like yours. I used messenger lines tied to the end and removed them, put them the washer in a MESH BAG bag with some Downey. soap and bleach and they look sorta brand new. Only took a couple minutes to remove and reinstall.

This localized global warming has given us some great weather in VA for working on boats. Of course Anchorage AK was 50 below this past weekend.

Happy hunting Argen
ltgoshen likes this.
Old 01-30-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Arjen-
If you need the phone "locally", try MetroPCS. Great coverage and service in Florida, weaker network nationally, but in FL you'll get great unlimited prepaid plans from them.
Old 01-30-2012

melliott0352 is on a distinguished road
A friend at work just closed on an older Oday twin screw power cruiser he bought for fishing for no more that 1/3rd of its going price of 2 years ago according to the surveyor he brought along. This was thru a broker and the boat is mint, wouldnt think it was more than several years old, not 20 plus. Only several hundred hours on engines and so clean you could eat off it. There are deals out there, but dont think you will buy low to sell at a profit. The resale market is tough. Inventory is not moving in the Northeast.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.