SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Picnic 17 - my dream boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/78383-picnic-17-my-dream-boat.html)

dylanwinter1 09-06-2011 06:45 AM

Picnic 17 - my dream boat
 
One of my subscribers has just been given one of these

350 were built

it is a 17 foot fibreglass boat designed in 1959 and so much a boat of the times

it is a planing hull that can take a 30 hp outboard

- but also has sails and a centre plate

the brochure is an absolute hoot and a classic of its type

http://www.rvharvey.com/picnicbrochure.pdf

but it is a 6mb download

there is a faster loading website about the boats here

Lofland Picnic 17 Sailboat

Dylan

tdw 09-06-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 (Post 770493)
One of my subscribers has just been given one of these

350 were built

it is a 17 foot fibreglass boat designed in 1959 and so much a boat of the times

it is a planing hull that can take a 30 hp outboard

- but also has sails and a centre plate

the brochure is an absolute hoot and a classic of its type

http://www.rvharvey.com/picnicbrochure.pdf

but it is a 6mb download

there is a faster loading website about the boats here

Lofland Picnic 17 Sailboat

Dylan

Who could ask for anything more ? :p

and one of these to tow it ..

http://www.australiaforeveryone.com....s/Anglia_1.gif

dylanwinter1 09-06-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 770791)
Who could ask for anything more ? :p

and one of these to tow it ..

http://www.australiaforeveryone.com....s/Anglia_1.gif

but I learned to drive in one of those

blimey

I think I reaaly want a Picnic 17 now

Dylan

Classic30 09-06-2011 07:44 PM

C'mon, Dylan.. I know you've been out on the water awhile so maybe this is news to you, but it's the 21st century now - and has been for a few years!

A Hartley TS18 is a far better boat than that. Just sayin'.. ;)

tdw 09-06-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 770829)
C'mon, Dylan.. I know you've been out on the water awhile so maybe this is news to you, but it's the 21st century now - and has been for a few years!

A Hartley TS18 is a far better boat than that. Just sayin'.. ;)

at last it becomes obvious as to the inspiration for the Hartley :eek:

edit - or was it the other way round ? When was the Hartley first built ?

(I do like a bog with a bit of privacy !!)

Classic30 09-06-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 770847)
at last it becomes obvious as to the inspiration for the Hartley :eek:

edit - or was it the other way round ? When was the Hartley first built ?

The other way around, TD. The Hartley TS was actually the world's first home-built trailable yacht with accomodation.

Wikipedia says:
Quote:

Designed by Richard Hartley beginning in the late 1950s for home construction. The TS16 was the first truly trailable sailing boat which incorporated accommodation. His genius for design and identifying the need for yachts that gave a little more room and comfort than that offered by Off-the-Beach yachts initiated a whole industry. TS16's have been built in Australia since 1963, and there are records of TS18's and 21's being built in the early 1970s
..and that's probably about right. Should be old enough for Dylan - no? :)

dylanwinter1 09-07-2011 06:51 AM

cheap enough
 
the Picnic looks cheap enough

although transport might be a problem

I would love a Hartley 16 for exploring the creeks of the UK

and they sail really well

it would be great

but I have the slug - and everything is wonderful

of course I could always buy one of these

which is nearly as lovely as the picnic

Scuttlebutt 99 very ugly Keep Turning Left

by the way has anyone actually read the prose that goes with the pdf of the picnic

brilliant

dig this guys


"Junior as lookout squatted on the bow deck. Sis , sprawled out on the cockpit floor mattress. Perhaps your wife will want to put the baby to sleep in the cabin for a nap. It is so wonderfully quiet under sail. Then she will relax in the sun - lean comfortably back against the cabin wall and glow with delight as she watches you skipper the boat with boyish joy."

It is a wonderful, wonderful document

Especially when your wife suggests taking "Betty and John" from next door for a sail as well. That is four adults and three kids in a 17 footer

brilliant stuff - well worth a wallowing in the prose - and the pictures are brilliant

Dylan

Classic30 09-08-2011 03:56 AM

Yep, a TS16 would be IDEAL for exploring the creeks of the UK!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 (Post 771009)
but I have the slug - and everything is wonderful

of course I could always buy one of these

which is nearly as lovely as the picnic

Scuttlebutt 99 very ugly Keep Turning Left

by the way has anyone actually read the prose that goes with the pdf of the picnic

brilliant

dig this guys


"Junior as lookout squatted on the bow deck. Sis , sprawled out on the cockpit floor mattress. Perhaps your wife will want to put the baby to sleep in the cabin for a nap. It is so wonderfully quiet under sail. Then she will relax in the sun - lean comfortably back against the cabin wall and glow with delight as she watches you skipper the boat with boyish joy."

It is a wonderful, wonderful document

Dylan... I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I think all that salt air has messed with your head. ;) :D :laugher

tdw 09-08-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 771559)
Yep, a TS16 would be IDEAL for exploring the creeks of the UK!



Dylan... I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I think all that salt air has messed with your head. ;) :D :laugher


Guess we'll have to get us one of those Picnics then. Not only does such fine prose make it hard to resist, its been a few moons since last I saw the Wombet glow with delight at my boyish joy. :( A Picnic could well be the go.

Yon TS16 may well be perfect for the creeks but I'm not sure about the offshore hops. :eek:

Still and all I'm thinking Picnic could be a Dylanesque boat. Notice how as soon as he gets his hands on a decent donk he's heading upstream like a typical stinkboat hoon. Five knots indeed. You hooligan DW. Imagine if he had 40hp on his Picnic. Be overflowing with boyish joy.

No no young Winter .... get ye back to your Sullen Ark .. :)

ktl vlog 139 Honda Keep Turning Left


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012