Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
It never occured to me that I'd not single hand my boat! I must say it's easier to SH my Oday 30 then my Hunter 23 was. Rigging your mainsail to raise and drop from the cockpit saves allot of effort.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Thanks guys. Today the weather is great no crazy things forecasted. I won't be going out to sea just a big area in the harbor and if traffic is light like yesterday then I'll be one of the only boats out on the water. I have been mooring the boat solo already so I have motoring solo and docking solo and mooring solo down very well. I have a furler for the jib and all sheets go to the cockpit. I think it's time!
Pfft...you're all set, you have a plan and your boat has some conveniences to make it easier. Go for it.

Just remember Rule #1: Stay on the boat!

Everything else is secondary.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-07-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you are ready, I have yet to do it myself though, I also do not have my own boat yet. I am hoping to get out on my own before seasons end though. That is October 15 or so... Though I pretty much single hand now its just that there is someone else on the boat to assist if need be. Some are much easier to do because of their set up.

Take your time, no harm in exiting early, keep to your comfort level, wear your PFD, and depending on what gear you have, tether in too. As you probably know there is a multitude of info here on single handing. This document was posted a while back and was very informative I thought. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I have singled handed since I got my boat, but at 20ft that is easy.

Just add complexity as your comfort level increases; headsail only, mainsail only, head and main together, 5 to 10kt winds , 10 to 15kt, 20+ when ready. Add complexity with sea state, 1 to 2ft chop, large swells, 4ft breaking waves when ready.
Old 09-07-2011

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
I was 26 when my dad bought a Columbia 45. It was 1977.

No furling, no windlass, no instruments but a compass. He purchased depth and speed which I installed. And we put in a VHF. Several years later he bought a LORAN.

Soon after he bought it, he invited a friend and his son aboard, both experienced sailors, to teach me how to sail. The lesson lasted about an hour. After that I was on my own because my dad assumed I knew everything there was to know.

My first single handing experience was about a month after he bought it. I remember locking the wheel, running forward and hoisting the main then running back to the wheel and correcting the course. Then I headed it into the wind and ran forward again and hoisted the genoa (I had hanked it on prior to going out) then running back to the wheel and fine tuning the sheets and outhaul.

One of my proudest moments was when tacking. The wind was about 15 knots that day. I turned the wheel, locked it, released the starboard sheet, hauled in the port sheet and just as the wind caught it, I cleated it. It was perfect! I didn't have to trim it at all. The only problem was there was no one to witness it.

Later I found out my dad's friend and his son were out sailing and saw me. They later told my dad I "looked pretty good out there."

For the next eight years I singlehanded that boat most of the time. Everyone who came on board saw themselves as guests and the idea of doing any work never crossed their mind. I often joked I was the only single hander with a crew.

The three most important things in single handiing a boat are planning, planning and planning.
Old 09-07-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
The three most important things in single handiing a boat are planning, planning and planning.
Yep....start thinking well ahead of what you're going to do....get ready, everything in place....think about it and get ready for it.....then do it.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 09-07-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Wear life jacket at all times, and harness clipped in all times, have jack lines set from stern to bow of boat, have a hand held vhf in your pocket, have a way to board the boat if you go over the side (leave a ladder down or have a rope type ladder). Think ahead what you are going to do before you do it. Anticipate what can (and will) go wrong and what you will do when that happens. Be safe and minimize any risk.
Old 09-07-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post

I often joked I was the only single hander with a crew.
True 'dat. I'm pretty new, too, yet I've singlehanded a number of times. And I've also decided (like on Labor Day) that the winds were just a bit too high and gusty to go out alone. I felt like a wimp for not going out, but I also didn't want to be a brave dead guy.

If you follow the advice of people and keep following through on ways to take it slow and easy, singlehanding is a blast.

Old 09-08-2011

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arknoah View Post
If you follow the advice of people and keep following through on ways to take it slow and easy, singlehanding is a blast.
And it teaches you a lot, very quickly! If you forgot to do something, you'll find out what it is, sometimes in a matter of seconds. And if you have to work your tail off getting out of the mess, it will be a lesson you'll never forget.

But when you get it all right, especially in difficult situations, it can bring a big smile to your face.
Old 09-08-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Some good advice so far, but one other thing you need is to gain confidence in your own abilities. Take it slow, learn from your mistakes, and as your level of confidence grows, so will your enjoyment.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.