Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road
Re: When were you ready to single hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I mean that seriously, what is the worst that could happen?
Oh lord....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2014

PhilCarlson is on a distinguished road

I'm a rookie and all I've done is single hand with my 26 foot sloop. Well, crew when present was generally useless, or worse.

1. Be aware of your surroundings and movements of others on the water. Heed the law of gross tonnage.

2. If you are thinking "maybe I should let reef, or douse the sails," then you should already have done it.

3. Relax and enjoy yourself.

4. Repeat step three.
Old 06-13-2014

Bob Peterson is on a distinguished road

I'll give you the same advise that I received. "When in doubt, let it out".
when sailing if you let go of the tiller the boat will turn into the wind and stop.

HAVE FUN, OTHERS WILL BE GLAD TO HELP. THEY HAVE BEEN THERE!
Old 06-13-2014

grampianvoyager is on a distinguished road

Put the smallest head sail you have and double reef your main. It was hard for me to make a mistake that way.
Old 06-13-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

I know the thread is 3 years old, but I sailed solo my first time, on a schooner no less. Never sailed before in my life, but I am a pilot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPRwwH-WERo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnionPacific; 06-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I am probably the wrong person to ask the title question of this thread since my answer adds little to the core point of the discussion. As a 12 year old I first singlehanded a small sloop that I had bought out my meager savings from allowance and odd jobs. By the time I was 15 I was able to single-hand my dad's 32 foot Vanguard. I now know that I really did not know enough to safely single-hand the Vanguard.

But I think that the more useful question that seems to underlie the title question is how do you know when you are ready to single-hand your boat? Obviously there is no one right answer. Many of the answers make the very valid suggestion to build skills by.single-handing in ideal conditions and then press your luck a bit more over time until you can single-hand safely in whatever conditions you encounter.

But I would also like to suggest a training wheels approach. Before you actually start single-handing, go sailing with a knowledgable person with the explicit agreement that that person is only an observer unless there is an emergency. This will give you a chance to get a feel for single-handing and more importantly give you the opportunity to analyze the sequence of doing tasks, whether you need to make changes to the boat, or where you store things, and what problems you may encounter, before single-handing "without a net". You will probably find that you sit in a different position when you single-hand and may need to run control lines a little differently as well. Over time you will figure out how to make the boat sail by herself, and how long you can leave the helm unattended.

Single-handing is like any other complex skill. You learn it a piece at a time, building on the lessons of the past and using past skills to build new ones. And the good news is that the process of learning can be a fun trail to follow.

Good luck,
Jeff
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.