SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

When were you ready to single hand?

9K views 45 replies 38 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
How long did it take you to single hand? I am thinking of going out tomorrow solo. I can always keep the engine idling in case I need it. I was going to be in the harbor only. Maybe find a low traffic area of the harbor and raise the main and unfurl the jib. Is there anything I should know first?

#2 ·
The key to single handing is to think ahead and anticipate what you'll need 30 minutes down the road. Raise your sails, then turn off the engine. You won't need it until you're ready to come home. Be methodical. Give yourself enough sea room so you can be patient. The harder you try, the worse you'll do. Relax, breath, be methodical, be methodical, be methodical. Everything happens much more slowly single handing than crewed, so patience is really key to both your happiness and sanity. Keep a handheld VHF in the cockpit and listen to shipping traffic so you won't be surprised about what's coming down the pipe. Keep your center of gravity low while moving on deck. Plan for the possibility of 'bad' things happening, but don't obsess. Single handing is riskier than double handing and crewed sailing, but it's still probably much safer than the drive to the marina. You're sailing a 30' boat. That's a great size to single hand! One more time. Relax, be methodical, be patient, have fun.... smile. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Check the weather and choose your days (as always). You don't want to get caught in something gnarly until you are confident, if you can avoid it. My boat circles to port in forward, so I point her downwind and go forward to raise the main. I get everything ready while she slowly heads up. when she's into the wind I raise the main (with a blown main sheet of course). I have a furler on the head sail, so it's a piece of cake. If I didn't, I think I would get her close hauled with the main, lock the steering or tie off the tiller (only if she felt stable), go forward and raise the Jib (others may have better ideas). I do the reverse when dousing the sails. If everything is led aft it makes things a lot easier, of course. Under most conditions I can balance the sails on my boat, (some times tying off the tiller) and go forward with confidence while she sails herself. I have an auto helm, but haven't used it in years. You might also want to sail under Main or Jib alone for a while to simplify things and see how she sails under each sail. For example, some boats tack like champs under a jib, some won't tack without a main. It's nice to know her capabilities. If the wind picks up, I would use a "chicken jibe" (tacking) and avoid jibing the main until I was confident I could control it, and the boat by my self. Lastely... when out of the cockpit, hang on to the boat like your life depends on it, it probably does (better yet...use jack lines).

#5 ·
I read your other thread about second sail. Nice job done, but don't let a light air day build your confidence to the point you do yourself harm. When the wind doubles the more forces more than double. Be grateful for the light wind as a beginner, and take it a step at a time. Learn to reef effeciently, and reduce your headsail when needed. Be carefull wishing for gust. One maybe a Santa Anna wind that does you harm;).......i2f

#6 ·
I would only hoist one sail at first, preferably the main, if your boat will sail it alone. You should have plenty of weather helm if the turd hits the fan and it will be easier to tack and jibe. Build some confidence, then try just the headsail alone.

Always be sure you have room to headup into the wind for a quick stop to regroup. I also wouldn't worry too much about perfect trim at first either. "when in doubt, let it out" and sail her underpowered at first.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Regarding the "sail under-powered at first" comment, if you choose to do this, life will be a lot easier if you put the reef in at the dock before you depart.

It's easier to shake out a reef while you're underway than it is to put the reef in.

Do you have a tiller tamer or autopilot? That'll make going forward a much calmer experience.

#8 ·
I think you will find that sailing single handed is a piece of cake. That first one is just a case of the jitters. As puddinlegs said, just think it through in advance and be methodical in your execution. I actually sailed more single handed after that first attempt than I did with crew. Just more enjoyable being on the water alone sometimes.

Docking single handed can be a little more intimidating at times. This is when things can become somewhat challenging.

#9 ·
I bought my boat with single handing in mind....

The first time I took it out by myself was the second time ever on the boat, the first being the sea trials with a sailor friend, pre purchase. This second outing was right after I got the motor back from an impeller replacement and I just motored around, drifted, motored back to the marina.

The next weekend, third outing on the boat, I motored out, raised the main, killed the motor and took off....third time in my life to go sailing.

Been single handing ever since. I've been out many more times by myself than with anyone else aboard.

#10 ·
Thanks guys. Today the weather is great no crazy things forecasted. I won't be going out to sea just a big area in the harbor and if traffic is light like yesterday then I'll be one of the only boats out on the water. I have been mooring the boat solo already so I have motoring solo and docking solo and mooring solo down very well. I have a furler for the jib and all sheets go to the cockpit. I think it's time!

#11 ·
It never occured to me that I'd not single hand my boat! I must say it's easier to SH my Oday 30 then my Hunter 23 was. Rigging your mainsail to raise and drop from the cockpit saves allot of effort.

#13 ·
Sounds like you are ready, I have yet to do it myself though, I also do not have my own boat yet. I am hoping to get out on my own before seasons end though. That is October 15 or so... Though I pretty much single hand now its just that there is someone else on the boat to assist if need be. Some are much easier to do because of their set up.

Take your time, no harm in exiting early, keep to your comfort level, wear your PFD, and depending on what gear you have, tether in too. As you probably know there is a multitude of info here on single handing. This document was posted a while back and was very informative I thought. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

#14 ·
I have singled handed since I got my boat, but at 20ft that is easy.

Just add complexity as your comfort level increases; headsail only, mainsail only, head and main together, 5 to 10kt winds , 10 to 15kt, 20+ when ready. Add complexity with sea state, 1 to 2ft chop, large swells, 4ft breaking waves when ready.

#15 ·
I was 26 when my dad bought a Columbia 45. It was 1977.

No furling, no windlass, no instruments but a compass. He purchased depth and speed which I installed. And we put in a VHF. Several years later he bought a LORAN.

Soon after he bought it, he invited a friend and his son aboard, both experienced sailors, to teach me how to sail. The lesson lasted about an hour. After that I was on my own because my dad assumed I knew everything there was to know. :laugher

My first single handing experience was about a month after he bought it. I remember locking the wheel, running forward and hoisting the main then running back to the wheel and correcting the course. Then I headed it into the wind and ran forward again and hoisted the genoa (I had hanked it on prior to going out) then running back to the wheel and fine tuning the sheets and outhaul.

One of my proudest moments was when tacking. The wind was about 15 knots that day. I turned the wheel, locked it, released the starboard sheet, hauled in the port sheet and just as the wind caught it, I cleated it. It was perfect! I didn't have to trim it at all. The only problem was there was no one to witness it.

Later I found out my dad's friend and his son were out sailing and saw me. They later told my dad I "looked pretty good out there."

For the next eight years I singlehanded that boat most of the time. Everyone who came on board saw themselves as guests and the idea of doing any work never crossed their mind. :rolleyes: I often joked I was the only single hander with a crew.

The three most important things in single handiing a boat are planning, planning and planning.

#17 ·
Wear life jacket at all times, and harness clipped in all times, have jack lines set from stern to bow of boat, have a hand held vhf in your pocket, have a way to board the boat if you go over the side (leave a ladder down or have a rope type ladder). Think ahead what you are going to do before you do it. Anticipate what can (and will) go wrong and what you will do when that happens. Be safe and minimize any risk.

#20 ·
Some good advice so far, but one other thing you need is to gain confidence in your own abilities. Take it slow, learn from your mistakes, and as your level of confidence grows, so will your enjoyment.

#21 ·
As always I see nothing but good advice here.
Light winds.
Take your time.
Motor out, head into the wind. Raise main.
Fall off to close haul, or close reach, and sail a bit.
If you are comfortable, head up again, unfurl jib sheet in...
fall off to close haul, and sail.. if all is well, shut off engine.

Congratulations on your first solo sail.

Also, for tacks... Single handed... Do a partial stop of the turn mid-way (into the wind), let the wind back the jib nicely before you release and try to sheet in on the opposite side. The wind backing the jib makes tacking easier, and the stall halfway through the tack, gives you time to regroup if you have to work your way around the tiller or wheel.

Jibes? Chicken jibes as I call them, in light wind, Sheet in the main to center, turn the boat slightly, pull the boom over, then release. In higher winds, doing a270 is easier single handed until you are more comfortable with jibing.

#22 ·
-Run as many lines aft as you can
-Get far enough away from land so that you have room to drift while you're putting up the sails.
-Make sure you have the pole ready so when you come back in, you can easily grab dock lines.
-If you're dealing with waves, I'd recommend a way to clip yourself to your boat for when you need to go forward.

I started with a reefed main even though winds were light. It gave me a chance to go through the motions without a sail at full power. Then I went out with the reefed main and jib. Then full sail.
Tacking is easy if your jib sheets run back to the helm. I'm not comfortable gybing in higher winds single handed. I don't know if it's the proper way but when I do gybe, I concentrate on the main and get it over. Then I uncleat the jib and let it come over.

It's intimidating and that won't change until you do it. I single hand more than I want to but it does give me time to enjoy quiet and appreciate a crew. It also lets me work on and obsess about sail trim without someone asking me questions as to why I keep adjusting things.

#23 ·
Thinking about your question again (when were you ready?) you know I always feel apprehension, maybe that is a good thing, keeps me on my toes. The hardest part for me is docking and undocking- don't want to hit someone's boat. I have sailed small boats and never felt the apprehension, but a big boat is a lot more to handle, but like I say, some apprehensioin is probably a good thing. When we become complacent, bad things can happen.

#25 ·
I didn't notice if anyone mentioned it, but an autopilot is extremely helpful when you're singlehanding. Thanks to my lazy friends, I pretty much always singlehand even when I take them out. Their only job is to throw everything that floats in my direction if I fall in.:eek:

Mike

#27 · (Edited)
I have a checklist I use before I leave the dock (sample below). Anytime you are sailing, it's a drag to look into the Salon, and realize you left a hatch or sink valve open and have water coming in the boat. It's even worse when you have your hands full single handing. I provide it as an example, obviously your list will be somewhat different.%

#28 ·
I can relate. Bought my 30 Catalina and she sat in the marina for 3 weeks all alone except for my daily visits. Easy winds and a bucket of courage and we were out sailing with the jib alone. Then a reefed main and jib. Then all was up. I love sailing with my great sailor/wife but the whole feeling is different when I am alone and the sails are up and I bend down and shut off the diesel (now a Compac 27). The silence takes over and the feel of the wind in your face, the accomplishment of single handling. I sail conservatively and try to do things early. My instructor taught me the importance of heaving to, something very useful especially when alone.

#39 ·
I can relate. Bought my 30 Catalina and she sat in the marina for 3 weeks all alone except for my daily visits. Easy winds and a bucket of courage and we were out sailing with the jib alone. Then a reefed main and jib. Then all was up. I love sailing with my great sailor/wife but the whole feeling is different when I am alone and the sails are up and I bend down and shut off the diesel (now a Compac 27). The silence takes over and the feel of the wind in your face, the accomplishment of single handling. I sail conservatively and try to do things early. My instructor taught me the importance of heaving to, something very useful especially when alone.
Agreed, pick your weather window and take some Courage with you.

MedSailor

#29 ·
It took me about 4 years, from age 10 to 14 but I could probably done it sooner. I was working for a marina that rented boats off moorings. Rentals would return to a beach and we'd sail them back out to the mooring. About 2 weeks after I started at the yard my boss told me to take an 18' boat out and moor it. No one was available to crew for me so off I went. Gig the mooring on my 2nd try.

My wife solo'd after about a year. We had a GP14 and were sailing along one day with her driving. She said that she felt good so I flipped myself off the gunwale (without a lifejacket) and told her to come back and get me. She sailed off cussing, but eventually made it back before I drowned. True story.

#30 ·
Hard parts are getting on/off a dock. If you've figured that out, sailing is a piece of cake IMHO.

When sailing alone, my single biggest worry is falling overboard on autopilot and watching my boat sail away at 6 kts. Just don't. I use harness and jacklines if leaving the cockpit or if the weather is bad even in the cockpit. Yea, I'm a little sloppy about this rule:) on a perfectly sunny calm day, but I probably shouldn't be....can't live in a bubble;)

Go have fun...in some way's it's easier because you don't need to worry about anybody else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.