Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
When were you ready to single hand?

How long did it take you to single hand? I am thinking of going out tomorrow solo. I can always keep the engine idling in case I need it. I was going to be in the harbor only. Maybe find a low traffic area of the harbor and raise the main and unfurl the jib. Is there anything I should know first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
The key to single handing is to think ahead and anticipate what you'll need 30 minutes down the road. Raise your sails, then turn off the engine. You won't need it until you're ready to come home. Be methodical. Give yourself enough sea room so you can be patient. The harder you try, the worse you'll do. Relax, breath, be methodical, be methodical, be methodical. Everything happens much more slowly single handing than crewed, so patience is really key to both your happiness and sanity. Keep a handheld VHF in the cockpit and listen to shipping traffic so you won't be surprised about what's coming down the pipe. Keep your center of gravity low while moving on deck. Plan for the possibility of 'bad' things happening, but don't obsess. Single handing is riskier than double handing and crewed sailing, but it's still probably much safer than the drive to the marina. You're sailing a 30' boat. That's a great size to single hand! One more time. Relax, be methodical, be patient, have fun.... smile.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 09-07-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Check the weather and choose your days (as always). You don't want to get caught in something gnarly until you are confident, if you can avoid it. My boat circles to port in forward, so I point her downwind and go forward to raise the main. I get everything ready while she slowly heads up. when she's into the wind I raise the main (with a blown main sheet of course). I have a furler on the head sail, so it's a piece of cake. If I didn't, I think I would get her close hauled with the main, lock the steering or tie off the tiller (only if she felt stable), go forward and raise the Jib (others may have better ideas). I do the reverse when dousing the sails. If everything is led aft it makes things a lot easier, of course. Under most conditions I can balance the sails on my boat, (some times tying off the tiller) and go forward with confidence while she sails herself. I have an auto helm, but haven't used it in years. You might also want to sail under Main or Jib alone for a while to simplify things and see how she sails under each sail. For example, some boats tack like champs under a jib, some won't tack without a main. It's nice to know her capabilities. If the wind picks up, I would use a "chicken jibe" (tacking) and avoid jibing the main until I was confident I could control it, and the boat by my self. Lastely... when out of the cockpit, hang on to the boat like your life depends on it, it probably does (better yet...use jack lines).
Stevew123 likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 09-07-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
The advice above is good. However, pick your time and just do it and you will find that you are fine.

Most 'skippers' effectively singlehand anyway. Most [all] Dad's singlehand effectively.

The 'other person' is often just there in case!

Go for it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I read your other thread about second sail. Nice job done, but don't let a light air day build your confidence to the point you do yourself harm. When the wind doubles the more forces more than double. Be grateful for the light wind as a beginner, and take it a step at a time. Learn to reef effeciently, and reduce your headsail when needed. Be carefull wishing for gust. One maybe a Santa Anna wind that does you harm.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

The Following User Says Thank You to imagine2frolic For This Useful Post:
Stevew123 (08-13-2013)
Old 09-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I would only hoist one sail at first, preferably the main, if your boat will sail it alone. You should have plenty of weather helm if the turd hits the fan and it will be easier to tack and jibe. Build some confidence, then try just the headsail alone.

Always be sure you have room to headup into the wind for a quick stop to regroup. I also wouldn't worry too much about perfect trim at first either. "when in doubt, let it out" and sail her underpowered at first.

Good luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Regarding the "sail under-powered at first" comment, if you choose to do this, life will be a lot easier if you put the reef in at the dock before you depart.

It's easier to shake out a reef while you're underway than it is to put the reef in.

Do you have a tiller tamer or autopilot? That'll make going forward a much calmer experience.
redfishnc and anthemj24 like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-07-2011

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I think you will find that sailing single handed is a piece of cake. That first one is just a case of the jitters. As puddinlegs said, just think it through in advance and be methodical in your execution. I actually sailed more single handed after that first attempt than I did with crew. Just more enjoyable being on the water alone sometimes.

Docking single handed can be a little more intimidating at times. This is when things can become somewhat challenging.
Old 09-07-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I bought my boat with single handing in mind....

The first time I took it out by myself was the second time ever on the boat, the first being the sea trials with a sailor friend, pre purchase. This second outing was right after I got the motor back from an impeller replacement and I just motored around, drifted, motored back to the marina.

The next weekend, third outing on the boat, I motored out, raised the main, killed the motor and took off....third time in my life to go sailing.

Been single handing ever since. I've been out many more times by myself than with anyone else aboard.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 09-07-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. Today the weather is great no crazy things forecasted. I won't be going out to sea just a big area in the harbor and if traffic is light like yesterday then I'll be one of the only boats out on the water. I have been mooring the boat solo already so I have motoring solo and docking solo and mooring solo down very well. I have a furler for the jib and all sheets go to the cockpit. I think it's time!