SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Carrying Mast Chicago to Mobile

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ebs001 
#1 ·
We're cruising from Chicago to Mobile. Was considering trucking the mast. But it is 68' and that is oversize and expensive. Considering carrying the mast on crutches on board, all the way down.

Looking for sailors with experience doing this. How difficult was it? Boat is 42' with overall length of about 48' so we'll have 20' of overhang.

Please share your experience in carrying your mast from Chicago to Mobile on board.

Thanks

#2 ·
i dont have a boat that big but i have moved my boat on trailer and under power that way. i just went from pulpit and had supports all the way aft with overhang on both sides. my mast is 30 foot however and can be moved by two people. a mast your size is no joke. if it were me i would just pay to have it shipped and to it the proper way. boats arent cheap so it is no suprise to have to pay that much but its worth it in my eyes.

#5 ·
That's a lot of overhang Ray, and you have quite a few locks to go through, and let's face it, something goes wrong, that mast isn't going to be easy to replace. Not to mention it will impede your movement on deck. I think I'd just bite the bullet and ship it. Perhaps it could be piggybacked with some other oversized load, to cut down on the cost.

#6 ·
Texas? Whos' going to Texas?

Carrying the mast aboard is done every spring & fall on the Erie canal by hundreds of sailboats just like this. Some with much longer masts.

Looking for those who have done the Ten-Tom waterway this way.

#8 ·
I did the Tenn-Tom this spring, and I don't see too many problems with you carrying your 69' mast on deck, except for getting fuel and finding a slip sometimes. Most of the marinas have a face dock that will accomodate you if it is not full. You will need to call in advance to be sure. You can usually anchor out if you plan ahead also. Most of the locks have lakes upstream with a place to anchor.

It will make the trip more difficult, however. Be sure and mount it high enough it is out of your way. Good luck!

#9 ·
We didn't do the TennTom but did the Erie when we went south. We had our mast shipped but met many who carried their mast. Most envied our clear deck and no overhang problems.That was a relatively short trip and not nearly as much traffic compared to the yours You are dealing with a boat that is now 68' and that in itself causes new problems -marinas that can't accomodate you or you can't get off because the bow pulpit is 10' from the dock. You are also on a boat that was never meant to do locks - round belly single screw. However , if you decide to carry your mast be sure to remove all instruments from the top of you mast of they will get damage and either way connect up a temporary aerial for your ships VHF radio. Handhelds don't always get you by.
Personnaly I would recommend you ship your mast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.