Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Carrying Mast Chicago to Mobile

We're cruising from Chicago to Mobile. Was considering trucking the mast. But it is 68' and that is oversize and expensive. Considering carrying the mast on crutches on board, all the way down.

Looking for sailors with experience doing this. How difficult was it? Boat is 42' with overall length of about 48' so we'll have 20' of overhang.

Please share your experience in carrying your mast from Chicago to Mobile on board.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2011

OtterGreen is on a distinguished road
i dont have a boat that big but i have moved my boat on trailer and under power that way. i just went from pulpit and had supports all the way aft with overhang on both sides. my mast is 30 foot however and can be moved by two people. a mast your size is no joke. if it were me i would just pay to have it shipped and to it the proper way. boats arent cheap so it is no suprise to have to pay that much but its worth it in my eyes.
Old 09-08-2011

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I remember years ago, the guy in the slip next to mine was telling me about moving his boat without the mast. He said the boat was very tender without a mast.
Old 09-08-2011

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Your'e not gonna find to many marinas between Chicago, and Texas that can accommodate this set up.
Old 09-08-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
That's a lot of overhang Ray, and you have quite a few locks to go through, and let's face it, something goes wrong, that mast isn't going to be easy to replace. Not to mention it will impede your movement on deck. I think I'd just bite the bullet and ship it. Perhaps it could be piggybacked with some other oversized load, to cut down on the cost.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2011

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Texas? Whos' going to Texas?

Carrying the mast aboard is done every spring & fall on the Erie canal by hundreds of sailboats just like this. Some with much longer masts.

Looking for those who have done the Ten-Tom waterway this way.
Old 09-09-2011

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
I would say there are marinas that would accommodate you, as there are marinas on the Tenn-Tom that accommodate 100 foot powerboats.
Old 09-09-2011

okawbow is on a distinguished road
I did the Tenn-Tom this spring, and I don't see too many problems with you carrying your 69' mast on deck, except for getting fuel and finding a slip sometimes. Most of the marinas have a face dock that will accomodate you if it is not full. You will need to call in advance to be sure. You can usually anchor out if you plan ahead also. Most of the locks have lakes upstream with a place to anchor.

It will make the trip more difficult, however. Be sure and mount it high enough it is out of your way. Good luck!

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 09-10-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
We didn't do the TennTom but did the Erie when we went south. We had our mast shipped but met many who carried their mast. Most envied our clear deck and no overhang problems.That was a relatively short trip and not nearly as much traffic compared to the yours You are dealing with a boat that is now 68' and that in itself causes new problems -marinas that can't accomodate you or you can't get off because the bow pulpit is 10' from the dock. You are also on a boat that was never meant to do locks - round belly single screw. However , if you decide to carry your mast be sure to remove all instruments from the top of you mast of they will get damage and either way connect up a temporary aerial for your ships VHF radio. Handhelds don't always get you by.
Personnaly I would recommend you ship your mast.