Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Oh, I only just ran across your message. Good on ya' shipmate! Here's best wishes for the few, the fuzzy, the fund raisers of Womboat Wonderment and Fame!
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Latest from the womboat is that it's blowing 40kts off the entrance so they won't make it tonight . will try again on Monday .

let's hope Heaven will Wait for the Womboat . It's a bit tricky doing a race if you can't get to the starting line!...
Old 09-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
First up, thanks to Tom Donnelly for the contribution.. Good on you. Much appreciated.

Well, that was a fiasco, I must say. We'd just topped up on diesel and were heading out when the gale warnings started coming in. The entrance to the lake is over a bar and to be honest I didn't fancy it in 40knt winds. Not sure if they did reach that but even at anchor inside Sydney Harbour it was a mongrel of a night.

Swansea Bar Web Camera - NSW Maritime

Looks pretty calm this morning.

Anywho ... we'll now head up to the lake Thursday. Means taking a couple of days off work but for some reason the Wombet is not opposed.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Do your best lads. That's all we ask!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-25-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Getting there safely is step one of the 'plan to kick butt' during the race, n'est pas?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-25-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Getting there safely is step one of the 'plan to kick butt' during the race, n'est pas?
One would hope, Faster, one would hope.
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The wonderful Laurie Anne(s), and the fella she(they) hang around with has added to the pot. Cheers John, thanks mate.

Hey Smack ... we be trying .... mind you the Wombet reckons I very very trying at times ... tish boom ....

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-26-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey Smack ... we be trying .... mind you the Wombet reckons I very very trying at times ... tish boom ....
Anything we need to know about BEFORE the event, TD?

EDIT: Whadya know.. Kukka's in the Top Ten! Woo-hoo!!
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/event...t_2011/top_ten

Well done, y'all!!

Last edited by Classic30; 09-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Anything we need to know about BEFORE the event, TD?

EDIT: Whadya know.. Kukka's in the Top Ten! Woo-hoo!!
Everyday Hero Australia: Heaven Can Wait 2011

Well done, y'all!!

shh ... be quiet ... wombat is still trying to come to grips with the rules ....

have you seen the size of that bloody rule book ? heavens !!

thankfully we have Hartley who is apparently a racer with vast experience .. he should know the rules.

then we have the Wombet who is never known to be wrong which should help resolve any starting line or give way incidents.

Bent ... who along with the Wombet will be able to out debate the jury should it come to that ...

and me ... oh well .. every chain must have a kink somewhere ..

Now money ... yes we are in the top ten but we have dropped one place (five down to six) since yesterday so we need to intensify our efforts.

Intersting point btw ... there is no nautical chart for the Lake and the bloody thing is strewn with shoals. There is however a PDF boating map that our resident IT Genius ... yes you young master ... is currently working on converting to a KAP file which we can then import into OpenCpn.

I must say OpenCpn is a beauty. I also have MaxSea and Seaclear but neither works with Linux. (see the Linux thread)

Old 09-26-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Rules?? That's easy: "the little boat gives way to the big boat - especially on the start line". That Nathan Outteridge had better get a good start because the Womboat will be right up his ....!

Shoals will be more of a challenge.. So long as the depth sounder is working and the PDF boating map is relatively recent, by watching other boats roughly the same size as us (particularly the locals or those who have done it before) we should be fine. Otherwise Bent gets lead-line duty for the entire race.

I do find it difficult to believe the Organisers would design the course around the premise that "he who wins runs aground the least", but, hey, the Marlay Point race is like that, so anything is possible. P'raps we just need plenty of wind!..

I'm looking forward to working with OpenCPN.