SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Heaven Can Wait - but not the Womboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/78517-heaven-can-wait-but-not-womboat.html)

tdw 09-08-2011 11:21 PM

Heaven Can Wait - but not the Womboat

She's ready and raring to go .... her crew keen as mustard though her skipper is a wuss. :eek:

Guys and Gals, Ladies and Gentlemen, Good folk all ....

Over the first weekend of October the Fuzzball, the Wombet, Hartley18 and BentSailor are going to make up the core of what should be called Team SailNet to run in the Heaven Can Wait 24Hr race on Lake MacQuarie NSW in the the land of Oz.

If you don't know about the event , have a butchers at

Heaven Can Wait 24-hour Yacht Race 2011

A fabulous event for a truly worthwhile cause.

Now if you feel inspired get yourself along to the Womboats page at

Everyday Hero Australia: Heaven Can Wait 2011

I do hope you can help in any way you are able.

Andrew the Fuzzball and the Crew of the Womboat

ps - the page is only just up so if you are quick you could be our first patron. :)

Faster 09-09-2011 12:37 AM

Give 'em hell, td.... show us what that slug - er - sled can do....:p;):)

tdw 09-09-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 772025)
Give 'em hell, td.... show us what that slug - er - sled can do....:p;):)

Should be a lot of fun provided Bent and Hartley don't come to blows over matter religous and politic .... :eek::eek:

Thanks for your contribution Fast, I appreciate it.

Classic30 09-09-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 772033)
Should be a lot of fun provided Bent and Hartley don't come to blows over matter religous and politic .... :eek::eek:

We'll behave... honest. :)

Oh, by the way, are there any sharks in Lake Macquarie? :p

blt2ski 09-09-2011 10:52 AM

Cam,

I think there is a croc or two, not sure about sharks!

Looks like PHUN, hope you all have a good time, now to look at the what the race is about etc.

Marty

blt2ski 09-09-2011 06:47 PM

Now that I have looked at the NOR, how long is the course?
how many laps can the womboat do with GOOD crew in that time?
The wombat not with standing mind you.:p:rolleyes::laugher
Wombet maybe!:D

tdw 09-11-2011 08:37 PM

You are a good man Smack.

As always he comes through. Thanks so much.

tdw 09-11-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 772435)
Now that I have looked at the NOR, how long is the course?
how many laps can the womboat do with GOOD crew in that time?
The wombat not with standing mind you.:p:rolleyes::laugher
Wombet maybe!:D

Couse is basically 30 nms. We should be able to do that in 24 hours , easy. :p:p

The lake is notorious for calms, can get quite nasty in a southerly gale. Nothing like a Great Lakes storm though. LM is placid by comparison. Division 2 boats covered between 120 - 150 nms. Top placed did 146 so I guess we'll be hoping for somewhere in the middle of that. I'm presuming top placed boat had a crew who knew what they were doing. Its bound to take us a couple of laps just to figure out the basics and stop falling over each other, so lets work on 3 to 4 four laps, unles it is a complete fiasco.

I like the bit in the NOR where they recommend skippers note each makes coordinates in daylight .... we may not make it round one lap before night descends ..... :eek:

Anywho, I'm looking forward to it. 50nms dash up the coast from Sydney to Swansea. We'll do that the Friday or Saturday before the race. I'll enjoy that cos I usually do like offshore stuff but it will be just me and the Wombet so no crew training going on.

Bent spent a stormy day on board a few weeks back back but we did little sailing. Hartley has never been on board and we are still trying to lock in another couple of crew. If we don't, no big deal. Four people can handle it for 24 hours. We won't be using a symmetric, only the assy, so sail handling should be no big deal.

Hartley is a racer so I guess we'll make him tactician. Then when it all goes wrong we'll know who to blame.

As I said, biggest ask will be getting everyone used to the ship and her layout is intended to make short handed cruising relatively simple so I hope we don't need to do too much tacking.

:):):)

Classic30 09-11-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 773214)
Hartley is a racer so I guess we'll make him tactician. Then when it all goes wrong we'll know who to blame.

Hence my question about sharks... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 773214)
As I said, biggest ask will be getting everyone used to the ship and her layout is intended to make short handed cruising relatively simple so I hope we don't need to do too much tacking.
:):):)

No biggie, TD - I'm sure it won't take that long to "learn the ropes". We'll be up to tacking duels with the Bendytoes before you know it. :)

Even if my First Mate can't make it - I'm looking forward to this.. Don't forget to pack the coffee. We'll need it!! :cool:

tdw 09-11-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 773236)
Hence my question about sharks... :D

No biggie, TD - I'm sure it won't take that long to "learn the ropes". We'll be up to tacking duels with the Bendytoes before you know it. :)

Even if my First Mate can't make it - I'm looking forward to this.. Don't forget to pack the coffee. We'll need it!! :cool:

Me too. Fret not re the coffee we'll be stocked up on Vittoria Espresso. I'm thinking final crew numbers anywhere between four and seven. GS is having second thoughts, I think he's worried that sailing with us may make him a laughing stock. He could well be right of course. Still another couple of maybes.