Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
How would you fix a beached hunter 42?

That was tossed cross the rocks,

had chain ripping out the bow...

halved the rudder..

(Keel unknown at this time)

Assuming starboard has about 10 ft of gaping holes in the FG.

Does sand mix with epoxy?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2011

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I would use a cordless drill, and a 1/8 drill bit, 1/4" plywood cut into manageable sizes. drill through the plywood and into the good fibreglass, then drive in a self drilling 1 1/4" pan head screw. Lay a good bead of your preferred goo, mine would be toilet seal doughnuts, rolled out to form a gasket, and smushed in. and yes sand can be mixed into epoxy, along with almost everything else in sight, when the mixer is switched to high speed when I hit the switch...

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
It can be done but the interior needs to be taken out to get at it from the inside.

Generator w/ heat lamps to help cure the fiberglass and sanders.

Fiberglass resins, mostly "layup" and some "wax" topcoat types,

glass mat,

heavy clear plastic (dining tabletop protector type) To make a quasi mold from the outside and it's taped very securely to hold the contours. Lets you see any bubbles and you can work them out if needed. It's also on the inside but top isn't sealed so you can pour it in slowly from ea. side and let it soak evenly into everything. Sand inside out to 6"-12" around the bad areas, stop drill any running cracks. A crapload of sanding the areas b4 you start

The problem is that the factory doesn't really put as much glass as this so it also needs to seep all (heat lamps will pull it) around to blend w/ the factory stuff.

Remove plastic molds after 1st layer, then start cosmetic filling outside and structural inside w/ larger layer patches, then wax coat outside when it's all filled in.

Bow is done the same way.

Rudder can be fixed after it's in a boatyard

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 09-09-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: sanding
Old 09-09-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Yes, seems to me the outside of the hull after all the broken edges are ground for feather edging, polyethylene sheeting can be taped very tight, then thin plywood can be curved and screwed to the outside hull to give it "shape" Then from the inside. the real FG cloth layup can be started. and when firmed up the outside can be finished and painted.

my current "project"!
Old 09-09-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
I doubt they're going to let them paint it on the beach.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 09-09-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

well, later then

my current "project"!
Old 09-09-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Prior to buying said beast, you should have it surveyed.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 09-09-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
You don't say if the boat is still on the beach or not.

If on beach... I'd use flotation bags to get it floating and to a yard where she can be worked on -- presuming she's worth salvaging. I would NOT try to make a sand mold to repair the hull on the beach.

If in a boatyard... The biggest problem is being able to get at the inside portions of the hull. Sounds like the interior will need lots of work anyway. There are better fillers for epoxy besides sand. If you're trying to build a "non-skid" surface, sand might be the way to go...but it'll slow down the boat if below the waterline and your diver won't be happy with you when he sands through his wetsuit.

Sorry,

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 09-12-2011

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road
somebody out there thinks the best solution is to torch it!
Storied yacht destroyed by fire on Ocean View beach | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com