Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccriders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011

blaurence46 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Broken fixing where boom is fixed to mast

Hi,
I was out sailing this morning in my 1985 Beneteau First 24 and I managed to break the fixing on the mast where the boom is attached to the mast.
Both mast and boom are factor origionals and a sticker on the boom reads Spars La Rochelle. Pictures below ( I put a little black star in the picture near the broken part where the bolt did go through. My question is where can I get a replacement fixing for the mast and what is it called ?
Attached Thumbnails
Broken fixing where boom is fixed to mast-image0309.jpg   Broken fixing where boom is fixed to mast-image0311.jpg   Broken fixing where boom is fixed to mast-image0308.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
It is generally called a goose neck. Have you contacted Beneteau? they may be able to direct you to the spar maker. Also, it looks like the goose neck (and maybe boom) are replacements. I say this because the marks on the mast indicate a differently sized gooseneck had been previously installed. If push came to shove, you could drill out the rivets and take the mast mounted portion to a machine shop and have it copied. What ever you do, get rid of that stove bolt.
Good luck,
John
jackdale likes this.
Old 09-10-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I would also suggest that those fittings do not match. That might be source of the problem.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-10-2011

afrinus is on a distinguished road
I've got a First 26. The mast came from Z-spar or now US-spars.

Your mast is a model Z230, and the entire goose neck is listed for $92.09 (part # 3355) on their site.

Boat Information | US Spars, Inc.

Pete
Old 09-10-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I would also suggest that those fittings do not match. That might be source of the problem.
That's right, or at least some spacers are missing.

John
Old 09-10-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
So you need a new gooseneck bracket, eh? Well, time to employ some Google-foo.

As others stated, Beneteau uses Z-Spar components. The Beneteau First 24 in particular has a mast section labelled Z230 and uses the Z160 gooseneck assembly on the boom, as you can see from the hyperlinked page. You are in luck! Z-Spar is still in business.

You might want to try someone like Rig-Rite for consultation and part ordering. They stock a lot of replacements for old hardware. I have never used them personally so I can't say how their service or knowledge is, but their selection of older gooseneck brackets looks promising. Just eye-balling it, I'd say your broken piece is a Z-1478C, which is compatible with the Z230 mast section. But don't depend on me to decide. Measure the broken piece then call them to ensure you know the right piece before you order.

I agree with the others, the gooseneck casting you have now does not look like it fits the bracket. So while you are at it, measure your gooseneck casting and talk to them about it. I think it should be a Z-160-1, but consult the parts experts to be sure. And and get yourself a proper pin that fits the hole! This is likely why the casting broke in the first place. A carriage bolt that is smaller than the hole concentrates the force on a line rather than spreading it across the entire tab. To continue using a carriage bolt is just begging for trouble.

Also, feel free to work with some other company instead Rig-Rite. I only used Rig-Rite because they were at the top of the Google list and I can find stuff on their site.

Final update: While reading the later entries on this thread, I saw afrinus recommends US Spars. I'm sure they are a fine company and would serve you well. However, if you order part 3355 you are going to get the gooseneck, not the gooseneck bracket. According to their break-out, the bracket is part number 4063, is called the Gooseneck Base, and lists for 24.73. My opinion about the gooseneck casting and pin also apply here. Once again, I recommend measuring and calling before ordering to ensure you get the right pieces. this may be especially important in your case. I see other holes in your picture and suspect I am not looking at original equipment.
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 09-10-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I agree. It looks like the goose neck bracket has been replaced once before but not with one that matches the boom. Either get one that matches the boom, or replace the entire goose neck assembly.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
boom mast