Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
First Singlehanded Sail!

Got off work at 5 and the wind seemed like it was pretty good so I shot down to the harbor and started getting the boat ready. Previous owner was down there working on his new boat and said go for it! So I motored to the turnaround, pointed it into the wind and raised the main then unfurled the jib...BAM I'm sailing! It was a pretty uneventful sail at about 6 knots, which at times seemed like 30...lol. Its the heaviest wind I've been out in on my boat. I had a sailing lesson in a tad bit higher winds, but that was in a harbor 20. I was (and still am) concerned with a sudden gust pushing me into things and or over...I know I kept telling myself that this wind is nothing, probably 11-15 knot winds. I just kept the jib sheet handy and when the heel angle got uncomfortable, I eased it and it righted itself, or I steered into the wind and that took care of it as well. I was out about 90 minutes then I came back as it was getting dark. I pulled into the turnaround area under motor with the jib furled and the main still up, and lowered the main....then moored. I feel pretty proud of myself. A month ago I had never sailed in my life. Now I am able to single hand a 30 foot yacht!!! Sure it wasn't an ocean voyage and was just in the harbor, but its a pretty good feeling. I have some time off this week so I'll be out ALOT over the next 10 days.....In fact, I'll be out most of the day tomorrow!
dvuyxx and PaulinVictoria like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NewportNewbie; 09-11-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Sounds
like the perfect sail.
Old 09-11-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Sounds
like the perfect sail.
Well I did lower the main, without reattaching the boom lift....so the boom just started to fall to the cockpit floor...lol...No big deal...I just raised it, then attached the boom lift and lowered the main and tied it down. What was great was there was hardly anyone out so I didn't have to worry about standup paddle boarders or electric duffy boats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2011

DSnider748 is on a distinguished road
Outstanding! Your 1st voyage out, and no OMG stories, which challenge you to not return. You make it sound so easy, and capable of being a no-brainer...

I've been sailing now for months, about 3 times per week. I too am a solo sailor. In as much, I have had to "learn" sooo many OMG lessons, develop specific procedures and methods, and design modifications for the boat (to accomodate the context of a solo sailor). I have a trailored 15 Ft. Sloop... 1st thing to learn was how to launch from the dock ramp, where the wind was blowing you back into the dock ramp.... little did I know, this was just the begining of many lessons to come.

In the beginning, I very much underestimated the complexity level, and how fast disaster can spring up out of nowhere.

My advice: No need to look for the thrill seeker edge, it will find you...
Old 09-11-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
Way to go. I grew up in Newport beach , great harbor to learn in. next time out when it is heeling to much, try leaving the jib sheeted in while going up wind. keep the boat on course and ease the main sheet to control the heel. as the wind builds you can sail with a little luff in the main and keep the jib in and on point. easing the main will give it more twist at the top which will lessen the heel and still keep your speed up.
Old 09-11-2011

DSnider748 is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with Overboard... Set the Jib for best performance, and concentrate on the Mainsail. The Jib is allows the sailboat to point like an arrow head, delivering excellent control with reference to direction and power; especially when sailing upwind. The last thing you need is to lighten control in high winds; where you need to clearly maintain tight, delicate, control of pointing the nose upwind, and constantly adjusting the mainsail according to real-time requirements. If the Jib is too loose, the ability of the tiller to control the nose will suffer, and then the collective control of the sailboat will suffer...

Keep up the learning process, it seems it never ends...
Old 09-11-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
DSnider is right. The more I sail, the more I realize that I have much to learn. And that, in itself, is one of the joys of sailing.

When singlehanding in open water, make a pact with yourself to wear an automatic vest.
Old 09-11-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you got the bug but good... Keep it up. More positive experiences means more confidence sailing. Sounds like you are taking the RIGHT steps, to being a safe boater, and a great sailor!
Old 09-11-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
NewPort, rig up some lazy jacks and they will solve the prob of the main all over the place after you drop it. Congrats on your first SH event!

My boat is for sale.
Old 09-11-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Newport - That sounds great, congrats on your first single handed sail. I have been sailing for two years and have yet to get out on my own. I am hoping to do so on Tuesday but there are some things that I don't have control of that will dictate that, not the weather thats going to be perfect. So enjoy yourself, learn from what you feel you did right and what you feel you did wrong and look forward to the next time. I bet it was an incredible feeling to be out there on your own, doesn't matter where you are.

Rockfreakingon!!

EDIT: And in case you were wondering, yes it is official. You are as fraking nuts as the rest of us....

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25