SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

what to do? what to do? looking for wisdom

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TQA 
#1 ·
ok, i wanna be on a boat. i live on a huge river that leads to the port of Savannah GA. i would like to buy a boat maybe 24 feet (i dont need much space) i nearly bought one in hawaii, but diddnt want to deal with that there. the biggest reason i want a sailboat is because well i love to travel. i have my passport now :) and i would like to sail the Carribean and Mexico and eventually the rest of the world. i love water, especially a beach (surfing) though i have never been in open ocean (im a little worried about this) i can deal without several amenities, im a backpacker style guy. i have taken a bath in a lake and i can live for months at a time without refrigeration. though i must have electricity - im a techie im sure solar could cover my needs. but i am very minimalist, i could live in a boat with a 20 gallon water / holding tank for extended periods.

my problem is that i dont know what kind of boat i want. i would really like to build my own boat or refinish one with a good hull. im a man of many skills electrical engineer, carpenter, and mechanic. (i would like to know in depth what im driving so when something happens, i know exactly how to fix it) i want it to be fast (according to sailboats) should i go with sail or solar electric? catamaran or solo hull, planing displacement?
i want to have a boat that hauls ass has enough room for a nice sized berth, a head with holding tank, fresh water tank, - cheapest propulsion dollar for dollar. and beaching capabilities(super shallow draft) capable of sailing the gulf

im considering being crew on a cruise somewhere so i can get some experience, but i dont know how to go about doing that.

looking for some wisdom

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
one day i will have another Westerly Centuar, Fast no , not really beach able but it is make to ground with 2 Bilge Keels, and the rest of the package for me works, 6' head room in main cabin, in-closed head, holding tankage and water holding that can be redone to fit your needs. The Centuar was built back in the '60s and can handle the Caribbean and a lot more. Check them out they are out there, but it is not a fast boat.

and i hope you find something that fits your "needs", Cheers

#6 ·
you can find a boat that is ready to Sail now, but is needing your personal touch in order to make her your own. as stated above building from the ground up can cost you a lot more then you want to spend, and you cant GO Sailing until your done, call it 2 to 5 years. take a few weeks and look at what you are wanting to do with the boat. you listed cruising the Caribbean and Mexico, also you want Speed and able to Beach her as needed, room for more tanks then what she came with is also on your list, and other how about standing head room, storage of gear and a dinghy Draft is another thing to look at as well, don't forget to look at storage, will you have a slip or hang on a hook all the lime in the Ga Area.

yes i ramble so i will stop here, again Best of everything to you in your search of a boat.

#7 ·
well im currently un-employed, so im sure that will speed up the refurbishing process. :)

i wont need much storage room. i would like standing head room. but its not necessary i would like to get one of those macgreggors maybe? a cat would be cool though. i would like to stay out at anchor when it's not beached. here in augusta i would probaby pull it out of the water

#9 ·
Been my experience that you have the core set of skills to provide emergency repair, and maintenance. With that said, you will be more than busy, and achieve self satisfaction with maintance, and modifications you employ as you embark on your sail journey.

Been my experience that the sooooooo much engineering, has already gone into the design of a sailboat model, you would be much better off to research the size and model of sailboat you are looking for, and leverage this baseline for your modifications and enhancements. Why waist time to re-invent the wheel, when you can leverage an respectable sailboat into the dream ship you are looking for.

Have fun... You are on the right track of life; you know yourself, now find the sailboat that matches your base needs, and run with it...

#10 ·
well see i have a camper that i can disassemble and use what ever i want, including this mini fridge that runs off of ac and propane :) there is also a propane stove and heater, though i dont think i would need the heater. and i bet i could use some of the windows in this thing too

#11 ·
A Wharram seems to fit many of your parameters. see CLICKY

Look at the Tiki.

If tempted by a cheap unfinshed one check that the plywood is the right type.

I know of one that was built by a young French girl in her dads garden, sailed from France to the Caribbean with minimal facilities and equipement. No water tanks just lots of 1 gall containers, no engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.