need advice on trailer sailers (or draft >3') for the Chesapeake Bay ( - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Bayliner Buccaneer?

If you can find a Bayliner Buccaneer in good shape it might serve you well. 24 feet long with full standing headroom, very roomy interior, shallow draft. It's kind of hard to find a sound one, though. Many of them have rotted endgrain balsa. Roomier than a Catalina, but you still might to better with the Catalina...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2011

gregschultz is on a distinguished road
I think that Ottergreen is on to something.

I have an older (mid-80s) trailerable Australian trimaran, 20', a Haynes-Hunter Tramp. I absolutely love it - it is very stable, fast and fun. I intend to move back up to Virginia and look forward to sailing on the Bay with it. They are pretty obscure, though. With that said, I remember that there are a lot of boats around the Bay that are neglected but never quite make it into the pages of craigslist or the boat trader, so you might find one if you poke around a bit.

Monohulls with water bladders and swing keels are probably more plentiful and have more vendor support.
Old 09-14-2011

OtterGreen is on a distinguished road
my "keel" is just a centerboard,moves up and down with a line and locks into a cam, after we had our old cal with a 600 lbs keel that would always snap the cables and drum issues we decided not to go that route again.
Old 09-14-2011

oh, and shes very fast too..
Old 09-14-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterGreen View Post
There she is, parked usually between two ensigns with some tight docking maneuvers..

Attachment 8869
thanks for the info and nice boat. My I ask age, type, and size?
Old 09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
How far off the dock is there deeper water? Maryland is very easy going about moorings. You could have quite a nice boat on a mooring and a small dinghy to get out to the boat.
Good point about a mooring. I have to find out more about the depth in the cove.

another question for the collective group - I see that most of the boats in this size range have an outboard. Do any of the water ballast / swing keel boats have a diesel inboard?
Old 09-14-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
A hunter 260 should be in your price range. I'll give you a short little review to help you determine if it's a reasonable boat for you.
1'9 draft with the CB up, 6' with the CB down. 2,000lbs ballast with the WB tank full. Powerful main on these and sails well without the jib. 5'7" head room but the top over the galley pops up so anyone under 7' can stand up there. Has an enclosed head with sink and a wet locker. Some have pluming, most have a portapottie. More cup holders than amount of people who should be onboard. I counted 10. Comfy for two people to spend a week on, three or four (two of them being kids) for a weekend. Any more and it's crowded though technically you could sleep six (I wouldn't though). The table down below is a beast. You can comfortably and easily sit six people around it without packing them like sardines. A lot of people have cut them down to give more room in the cabin. The table rotates around to extend the v-berth giving two adults some decent sleeping room for this sized boat. The aft bunk is between the size of a double and queen sized bed. Lots of storage for this size boat.
They're a catagory C boat. Needs a reef at 15 kts or else she'll start to be a handful. The outboard needs to be the long shaft. I don't know if mine is, I need to measure. It can pop out of the water with 1' waves. Standing on that side of the boat prevents that though. It's designed to have a 9 hp motor and I have a 5 on it. Definitely needs the 9 if you deal with currents. No traveler or cunningham (unless an owner added it). It's a delight to sail. It's a good little boat and will move even in very light winds. Easy to single hand with just a few minor mods (mainly putting a lift under the cam cleats for the jib). Hull speed is about 6 kts which it reaches easily. Handles well under power. Initially tender until about 10 degrees of heel where she will stiffen up.
The companionway cover usually leaks. I used a router to make a groove all the way around the lexan cover to break water tension. We haven't had a good rain for me to test if it fixed it yet, but with a hose it stopped the leak. Many have just put a sunbrella cover over the entire companionway which has fixed it.
I know of someone who had the bolt rust which holds down the bow pulpit which is where the forestay connects. The way he found it was by surprise when he pulled the bolt out. It hadn't actually failed yet. They through bolted it and haven't had problems. The same person made a new backing plate for the bow eye as they didn't feel it was solid enough. I haven't checked mine. It's a freshwater boat and I very, very rarely tow it right now.
Oh, and there's some dude who sails his from florida to the keys or to the bahamas. I guess if the weather will be good, nearly any boat will make it. But with this boat, if conditions warrant a storm jib, you should have stayed at the dock.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 09-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSailor View Post
thanks for the info and nice boat. My I ask age, type, and size?
thanks! just shy of 24 ft. its a 93 Santana 2023c. there are a few different models, the a is less cabin more cockpit and the c has more cabin and amenities like a galley and head.
Old 09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
A hunter 260 should be in your price range. I'll give you a short little review to help you determine if it's a reasonable boat for you.
1'9 draft with the CB up, 6' with the CB down. 2,000lbs ballast with the WB tank full. Powerful main on these and sails well without the jib. 5'7" head room but the top over the galley pops up so anyone under 7' can stand up there. Has an enclosed head with sink and a wet locker. Some have pluming, most have a portapottie. More cup holders than amount of people who should be onboard. I counted 10. Comfy for two people to spend a week on, three or four (two of them being kids) for a weekend. Any more and it's crowded though technically you could sleep six (I wouldn't though). The table down below is a beast. You can comfortably and easily sit six people around it without packing them like sardines. A lot of people have cut them down to give more room in the cabin. The table rotates around to extend the v-berth giving two adults some decent sleeping room for this sized boat. The aft bunk is between the size of a double and queen sized bed. Lots of storage for this size boat.
They're a catagory C boat. Needs a reef at 15 kts or else she'll start to be a handful. The outboard needs to be the long shaft. I don't know if mine is, I need to measure. It can pop out of the water with 1' waves. Standing on that side of the boat prevents that though. It's designed to have a 9 hp motor and I have a 5 on it. Definitely needs the 9 if you deal with currents. No traveler or cunningham (unless an owner added it). It's a delight to sail. It's a good little boat and will move even in very light winds. Easy to single hand with just a few minor mods (mainly putting a lift under the cam cleats for the jib). Hull speed is about 6 kts which it reaches easily. Handles well under power. Initially tender until about 10 degrees of heel where she will stiffen up.
The companionway cover usually leaks. I used a router to make a groove all the way around the lexan cover to break water tension. We haven't had a good rain for me to test if it fixed it yet, but with a hose it stopped the leak. Many have just put a sunbrella cover over the entire companionway which has fixed it.
I know of someone who had the bolt rust which holds down the bow pulpit which is where the forestay connects. The way he found it was by surprise when he pulled the bolt out. It hadn't actually failed yet. They through bolted it and haven't had problems. The same person made a new backing plate for the bow eye as they didn't feel it was solid enough. I haven't checked mine. It's a freshwater boat and I very, very rarely tow it right now.
Oh, and there's some dude who sails his from florida to the keys or to the bahamas. I guess if the weather will be good, nearly any boat will make it. But with this boat, if conditions warrant a storm jib, you should have stayed at the dock.
great info, thanks. I have looked at (online) a bunch of these so far and looks promising.
Old 09-14-2011

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I sailed many times on a Tanzer 22. Very sturdily built boat and I think the swing keel version meets your draft requirements. Here's a review:
Small Boat Journal (1986) - Tanzer 22 Class Association