Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
But one minor detail, You will have the onus of paying for the survey and haulout. This was close to a thousand dollars for both on the vessel that I've gladly acquired. So how enthralled are you with this boat??
These costs depend on the size of the boat, what marina you use for the haul out and how much the surveyor charges. Our haul out and survey wasn't anywhere near a thousand dollars.

But yes, the prospective buyer pays AND eats the cost if he or she decides not to by the boat. But don't give up the survey even if you bought the boat. You paid for it, it's yours. If the boat owner wants a survey he or she can pay for one. I have heard of owners asking if they can have the survey if the buyer decided against the boat.
Boasun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2011

Sailski3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all who have offered advice. Do I have to get all of this in writing from the broker? That I can back away post inspection, post survey, post sea trial or is this a given? Deposit is 100% refundable at any point prior to actual agreement of sale? As for the offer, I manage and train comodity buyers, so it is not lost on me that it is the mother of all buyers markets and it is end of season. Sellers will be more likely to want to clear the books so as to avoid winter storage. Additionally, it is an estate sale.
Old 09-14-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
If you are dealing with a broker, he or she will have an offer form that you need to complete and sign, and accompany with a 10% check. If it is the standard YBAA form, you can walk away for just about any reason - within reason .

However, I read in your previous post that there is already an offer on this boat. If there is already an offer, why are YOU looking at it? Yes, I know that the offer may be rejected. If so, then there is no offer on the boat. DON'T let the broker use you for leverage.

Ask the broker if the other offer is still being considered. If it is, tell the broker that you need to look at other boats. The broker should only tell you about this boat if, and only if, the other offer is rejected. If ANYONE has the right of first refusal, it puts both buyers at a disadvantage. I would only enter into negotiations if I were the only one making an offer on a boat.

I had an experience with another member of sailnet where the other member was selling a gorgeous boat, that I would have loved to purchase. However, he told me that another person had made an offer, and he granted that person the right of first refusal. I never made any offer for that boat, and have no regrets. I have nothing but respect for the other buyer, and the seller of that boat. I can only hope that they respect my decision not to initiate a bidding war.

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
These costs depend on the size of the boat, what marina you use for the haul out and how much the surveyor charges. Our haul out and survey wasn't anywhere near a thousand dollars.

But yes, the prospective buyer pays AND eats the cost if he or she decides not to by the boat. But don't give up the survey even if you bought the boat. You paid for it, it's yours. If the boat owner wants a survey he or she can pay for one. I have heard of owners asking if they can have the survey if the buyer decided against the boat.
You can make a pre arrangement with the seller to split the cost of a survey. The advantage for the seller is that a recent survey is good for the prospective buyer if you opt out. It is just part of the dance. It is the same with aircraft.
Old 09-14-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
A good broker will tell you all that upfront and it will be in the agreement you sign.

Although it's good to approach a broker with eyes open, they aren't all bad. We had an extremely good one who was open with us and stopped us from making some potential mistakes.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
A good broker will tell you all that upfront and it will be in the agreement you sign.

Although it's good to approach a broker with eyes open, they aren't all bad. We had an extremely good one who was open with us and stopped us from making some potential mistakes.
A good surveyor will do the same, and is unbiased towards the sale.
Old 09-14-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
can someone comment on how surveyor's fees are structured? Is is a flat rate based on boat size, or a percentage of surveyed value? Or something else.

I'm also considering an upgrade to a boat in the 9k range, and in this economy plan on offering around 5k. Boat is a mid-80s Cal24, so prone to age issues. I don't want to pay more for a survey than the boat, but don't want to blow 5k on an irreparable problem, either. I don't mean to hijak, but thought these tied in to the OP's question.
thanks
Old 09-14-2011

can someone comment on how surveyor's fees are structured? Is is a flat rate based on boat size, or a percentage of surveyed value? Or something else.

I'm also considering an upgrade to a boat in the 9k range, and in this economy plan on offering around 5k. Boat is a mid-80s Cal24, so prone to age issues. I don't want to pay more for a survey than the boat, but don't want to blow 5k on an irreparable problem, either. I don't mean to hijak, but thought these tied in to the OP's question.
thanks[/QUOTE]

Depends on the arrangement you make with the surveyor.
Old 09-14-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
If you don't have and idea how the boat sails the sea trial is not the correct way to find out

The further you get into the deal the more difficult it is to back out without losing money UNLESS there is a true deficiency in the boat that shows up in the survey OR the sea trial which is at least around here the final part of the deal

For example on Long island i payed 300 just for and insurance survey in my driveway BUT you cant get real marine insurance without a survey from someone accredited with SAMS or its equivalent as a big part of the deal is them putting a value on the boat that can be justified

You surely don't want to be paying for several surveys as a way of weeding out boats

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 09-14-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I've only paid for a survey based on a quote, which in turn is based on LOA. I did pay by the hour once, but it was capped at that quote based on LOA. I stopped the survey about mid way, rejected the boat and saved money.

On another point made, that seller did ask for the partial survey. I did not provide it. They could have bought it from me, however. The boat was not as represented in many way, which is why I rejected it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
boat buying process , first boat purchase help