SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Books: Florida fiction or truth retold? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/78771-books-florida-fiction-truth-retold.html)

CalebD 09-14-2011 10:15 PM

Books: Florida fiction or truth retold?

Here is an author that always includes something about, boats, the sea or the Florida Everglades in his novels.
Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - Home
I happen to find his books entertaining and thought I'd share.

Latitude: S. Florida
Attitude: Not so much liking what has been done there.

tdw 09-15-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 774981)
Here is an author that always includes something about, boats, the sea or the Florida Everglades in his novels.
Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - Home
I happen to find his books entertaining and thought I'd share.

Latitude: S. Florida
Attitude: Not so much liking what has been done there.

Caleb,
Have you read any James Lee Bourke ? I'm not knocking Hiassen but I think JLB is a better writer. Hiassen, I've read (and enjoyed) a few of his books though not recently. JLB otoh, is for me a must buy, must read.
Cheers
Andrew

bljones 09-15-2011 05:39 PM

If you like hiassen and burke, you'll like randy wayne white's doc ford series.

Faster 09-15-2011 06:02 PM

Thoroughly enjoy James Lee Burke, but really laugh with Hiaasen.. Burke's daughter Alafair has written a couple too, not bad either.

bljones 09-15-2011 07:47 PM

Yeah, not many laughs in Burke's writing. He do find the bleak side of da bayou.

tdw 09-15-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 775345)
Thoroughly enjoy James Lee Burke, but really laugh with Hiaasen.. Burke's daughter Alafair has written a couple too, not bad either.

Read AB's first, havn't made it to her latest. The Wombet read it recently and liked it. Guess I should have another look at some recent Hiasson.

Will check out Randy Wayne White, Jonesy. As you say, not much to laugh about in JLB writing. Damn he can be depressing. If I lived in Robicheaux's world I reckon I'd have kept right on drinking. :)

I've not been reading much fiction of late but I did read Jonathan Raban's "Foreign Land" recently. Again bleak. Wry sense of humour but overall bleak. I enjoyed it. Maybe that says something about my current head space. :(

Maybe I need to re-read some Wodehouse and lighten TFU ... :):)

tdw 09-15-2011 08:25 PM

Hey Jonesy .... RWW ... start with Sanibel Flats or go for his more recent stuff ?

bljones 09-15-2011 08:27 PM

Start with the Flats- it's kinda cool to see the characters evolve.

bljones 09-15-2011 08:29 PM

Another great maritime thriller series is set in Seattle- the Frank Corso books written by GM Ford.
Corso lives on a Monk trawler. No sails, but Ford gets a lot of the details of liveaboard life right.

Faster 09-15-2011 08:44 PM

The guys name is really GM FORD???:):cool:.. his folks had a sense of humour!