Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Barry
I was there also. Yes they had the Hunter 33 & 36. They were tucked in behind the 50. Went on the 33 very nice if you want to drop 127k

Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2011

Epicpopsicle is on a distinguished road
Yep the Hunters looked nice with lots of eye candy but in contrast the two Island packets were nice with simplicity. Lots people not lots of boats but I had a good time regardless if I didn't bring the kids it would have been better.
Old 09-18-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Went yesterday. The weather couldn't have been better, and there were more people there this year than I can remember in a long time. Not as many boats, that's for sure, but enough to make it a very worthwhile show. Some terrific vendors. While wandering past a stainless manufacturer, one of the reps convinced me to participate in a nautical trivia contest. the contestant with the most correct answers gets $500 worth of stainless. Some guy before me got all 12 of his questions right; I got 10 right and walked away with a folding anchor and 40 feet of line rode. Not too shabby!
Old 09-19-2011

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
I went on Sunday and thought it was fun. I'm certainly not in the market for any new boat but it is too bad that they don't have more small ones. Last year I liked Island Packet Estero with it's open space and lack of a V-Birth.

This year I thought the Mystery 35 was the most interesting. It was sitting by itself not getting much attention. I walked past 2 or 3 times and didn't see any reps in it. Finally I asked the guy at the boat across from it whether it was open and he said sure, jump in it's a boat show. So I did.

Beautiful British boat. Classic, simple interior, and tiller steering but lead bulb keel underneath and supposedly great performance. Neat boat that really stood out to me.
Old 09-19-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
I'm glad people enjoyed themselves. I know I started this thread on a bit of a downer, maybe it's just a case of "she ain't what she used to be" syndrome.
Old 09-23-2011

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
I missed it. It has been several years since I have been to the Newport Show. I used to own a Dealership there.

As a Dealer, even when times were better, the show produced a lot of "maybe" leads and we counted on Annapolis to make things happen. We did move some boats there but it seems that the region where there is just so much water, so many options regarding where to sail and potential destinations, that the Newport show would be amazing, far greater than Annapolis in terms of Sailing as we had an office there too.

Newport just Just never lived up to the expectation that I thinkl it deserves. The region has a "healthy" population of high net worth individuals which is why we put the larger boats there. In difficult financial times,that is where the bulk of the market is.

I definitely spent a fortune with that show though. What I would do now just to have a fraction of that money back.

All the best!