Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011

pgrech83 is on a distinguished road
boating license equivalents for the EU..

Hello everyone, my name is peter and im fairly new to this forum. I currently have the New York state boat handling and safety license and iI would like to know if the E.U (specifically the island of malta) will recognize any boating licenses from the U.S. or if there is any equivalents. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard.

I'm familiar with the NY boater safety course and certificate. I assume that is what you have. It is great to have, but is not a certificate of competency in operating a vessel as much as a classroom safety, navigation , etc review.

I do not know Malta's requirements, but if they do require a certificate of competency, I would be surprised if that did it. If you are chartering, the charter company would be able to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-16-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
You may need the ICC (International Certificate of Competence) The ICC and Proof of Competence Abroad | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA

Not all EU countries require ICC, check with the authorities in Malta.

If visiting on your own boat within certain time limits it is not required, but most charter companies will require it.
Old 09-16-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Taken from NOONSITE

Quote:
Some Good News Regarding the International Certificate of Competence

Created by val. Last modified on 2011-04-07 14:38:33
Contributors:
Topic: DOCUMENTS YOU WILL NEED
Countries: Albania, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, USA, United Kingdom

The Royal Yachting Association in the U.K. (the RYA) can now also issue an ICC to non U.K. citizens/residents. This covers nationals of non-UNECE countries, including nationals of the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The RYA cannot issue ICCs to the nationals of other UNECE countries unless they are British residents. This means nationals of: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. These citizen must apply to their national authority.

The restriction still remains that applicants must have a RYA practical course completion certificate of the appropriate level (i.e. Day Skipper or Power boat level 2) or take an ICC competency test at an RYA recognised training centre. There are such training centres in 41 countries around the world. Email enquiries@rya.org.uk or telephone +44 (0)23 8060 4296 for specific country information.
Certificates of proficiency issued by other organisations cannot be accepted.

The CVNI test can be taken online and then the ICC will be appropriately endorsed.

The ICC has to be renewed every 5 years, but this does not require a re-test, just more money!

Send Us News/Corrections/Information | © 2000-2011 World Cruising Club Ltd. 120 High Street, Cowes PO31 7AX, UK. Registered in England No. 5557900
Looks like you need an ICC to me.
Old 09-16-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
wouldn't a USCG license of 100 tons and above count toward being a ICC?
And considering my own license of 1600 tn Master / 2nd Unlimited upon Oceans will probably count for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 09-17-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
The ICC is primarily for recreational boaters.

The International Maritime Organization of which the US and most, maybe all, UN member nations are members coordinates commercial seamen qualifications across nations. USCG qualifications fall under IMO definitions.
IMO | About IMO

From the IMO site;
However, IMO has been given the authority to vet the training, examination and certification procedures of Contracting Parties to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978. This was one of the most important changes made in the 1995 amendments to the Convention which entered into force on 1 February 1997. Governments have to provide relevant information to IMO's Maritime Safety Committee which will judge whether or not the country concerned meets the requirements of the Convention.

Last edited by Ulladh; 09-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
STCW Training.... I've been through it...
First they try to turn you into a crispy critter with very basic Fire fighting training.
second they try to drown you several times in water survival, including Helicoper egress in the water a couple of times upside down, flipping a capsized liferaft and swimming under a pretend oil fire on the surface. And using your clothing as a life jacket. No they did not suceed to drown me. The only good thing was, it was a heated pool.
Third it was basic first aid and CPR
Fourth you had personnel hygene and working dynamics, some people don't like others and they have to learn to work with those they dislike. Some of these sailors don't understand on how aromatic they can get.
Fifth is Watch Standing responsibilities. That one is something you have to pound into hard headed sailors. On how to stand a proper and safe watch.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 09-17-2011 at 10:18 AM.