Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviGsr View Post
Three men, all in their late 20s, were safely rescued and taken to St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson
Most important question, was the cat ok??
Attached Thumbnails
3 Rescued from Sailboat on LI Sound-15_readyfordinner_100_2926.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
Most important question, was the cat ok??
Yes, Sailboat Kitteh is fine, but will be seeking revenge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 09-18-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
The cat wanted to stay aboard and ride it out, but was over-ruled by the crew. They will all be writing books.
Old 09-18-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Weather forecast, we don't need no steeking weather forcast.. - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Looking her over, it appears that the jib zippered out of the tuff luff, and then they lowered it, to promptly sink and wrap around the shaft, because that's where it is. The jib is tacked on to a Furlex, and the halyard is over the side with some sail around the shaft and skeg. The main is "storm" furled with whatever rope they had aboard. You could hoist it now.
Finally, the weather the night they "abandoned the boat because it was sinking" was really... meh. I mean, the anemometer on my house was reading about 24-26 knots, gusting to 32-34 at best. Not your choice evening for a delivery, but certainly not an "oh my God we're all gonna die call the Coast Guard" type of night either. Let's face it, we've all raced in worse, let alone delivered. According to a friend, you should have heard these guys on VHF Ch. 16. We're on the south side of LI Sound, so the nearest Coast Guard station isn't "near." It's in New Haven. So generally, Suffolk County PD and the local volunteer fire departments respond in their generic 28' "rescue" boats. These guys were calling for help on the radio, and were told that it might take 30-45 minutes to get a boat to them off Wading River. Then they started screaming that they didn't have that long to live. They were scared, really scared.

Okay, so chalk it up to complete inexperience, and no, none of us were there so we have no idea what really happened to these guys. No harm, no foul. Most likely someone bought a boat, found two buddies who had not been sailing much to help him deliver, and well, as the thread title says, "Weather forecast, we don't need no steeking weather forecast." Then things started going south, and they panicked. If they had only stayed with the boat they could have just washed ashore in my back yard, and I would gladly have given them hot coffee and breakfast.
Now, would you please get your sailboat off my beach? Sailflow is calling for 20 knots of easterlies all day, and this thing is going to wind up racked up on the eastern jetty of Mattituck Inlet by sunset. They called in Douglass Marine for an estimate on what it would cost to haul her off the beach, but they didn't like the price, so they declined. Meanwhile. the locals are "exploring" their new find, and I think eight people have approached me asking what the definition of salvage rights is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-18-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
What's the tidal range out there? I know it's about 9 foot or so in Port Jeff. Is it beached above the high water mark? The photo I saw looked like it was below?
Hard to believe the owner hasn't appeared to secure the vessel...ie: remove the sails and gear, free the fouled prop...Close the hatches..and ports..

Coast Guard must be concered with Fuel spill.?
Old 09-18-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Hard to tell if the boat is at ht line from the picture but probably is. Nothing a couple of stout kedges, come-alongs and some shovels can't solve. The news said that they called that they were sinking. I wonder from what? This looks like a case of 0 experience and panic. Too bad the owner got caught in a blow before he had time to learn a little more...ok a lot more. Hope he can get her off the beach. He could probably even give one of the local commercial guys a few bucks to drag him off...it's not like it's an ocean liner.
Old 09-18-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Unbelievable, I highly doubt they were seeing sustained 40 kts. Sounds like the 25-30 Gusts to 40 to be more likely. I was out in the same stuff last Sunday. It was a lively day. Practiced heaving-to. Good times.

Edit - For some reason I thought that I read that someone claimed that they were seeing sustained 40 kts, but it was only gusts to 40. Still, I can't believe anyone would abandon ship in such conditions. Methinks they need another hobby.
Downeaster 38 #40

Last edited by Argyle38; 09-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Hard to tell if the boat is at ht line from the picture but probably is. Nothing a couple of stout kedges, come-alongs and some shovels can't solve. The news said that they called that they were sinking. I wonder from what? This looks like a case of 0 experience and panic. Too bad the owner got caught in a blow before he had time to learn a little more...ok a lot more. Hope he can get her off the beach. He could probably even give one of the local commercial guys a few bucks to drag him off...it's not like it's an ocean liner.
One of the stages of Hypothermia is confusion, loss of judgment. Compounded by lack of experience..would lead to pushing the panic button.
The picture in the article showed them in shorts and T-shirts..

Last edited by Tempest; 09-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
One of the stages of Hypothermia is confusion, loss of judgment. Compounded by lack of experience..would lead to pushing the panic button.
The picture in the article showed them in shorts and T-shirts..
Let's see, confusion, loss of judgment...so they were obviously suffering from hypothermia before they even boarded the boat!
Tempest and jameswilson29 like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-20-2011

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
Tommays

They get her off the beach yet? Or should I come over and give you a hand