Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011

cranki is on a distinguished road
1 Head Better Than 2?

I am making an offer on a center cockpit project boat for liveaboard and NE coast, Great Lakes, Bahamas to Caribbean cruising, Will mostly be just me on board and I am considering turning the aft stateroom head into either a workshop or a small office area.

Any thoughts? I did see one similar boat where the aft head was converted into a dedicated shower with no toilet or sink and that seemed like a decent idea to me as well.

I don't really see why I need 2. You?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
At some point in a future sale it may become important again so as long as you do it in a way that lets it be restored to original there is no downside i can see

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Big shower more important than most anything
Old 09-17-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
I've found that most cruisers who have two heads have "repurposed" one them -- storage is the most common use. The teaching point is that most find a dedicated second head unnecessary. What you actually elect to do should reflect your needs and/or desires. You'll have to decide the pluses and minuses of any option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
At some point in a future sale it may become important again so as long as you do it in a way that lets it be restored to original there is no downside i can see
+1 on Tom's thought here. If you do decide to convert the head, keep all the bits and peices that can't be easily replaced (like cabinetry) -- that will give you a huge leg up if you find you need to convert it back to original.

Last edited by PorFin; 09-17-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
I like to tease friends that 2 heads on a boat is just asking for trouble, I've never met a boat shower I like, one bigger than a phone booth does have appeal.
Old 09-17-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
I like to tease friends that 2 heads on a boat is just asking for trouble, I've never met a boat shower I like, one bigger than a phone booth does have appeal.
When on the hook we typically shower in the cockpit -- lots of room, no worries about fouling the bilge with hair/soap scum. And every so often, neighbors get a cheap thrill!

In a marina, we use their facilities.
Old 09-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We kept two heads as a family of four and raising our children aboard. Even though we are "empty nesters" we retain our aft cabin head for guests. Since we are fulltime cruisers and often conserve our fresh water for periods of a month or so, we have no use for a big shower. We more often bathe with sea water and follow with a conservative fresh water rinse from rain collected water on deck. Heads, showers and water management are best adapted to how you crusie and use your boat. We've been aboard our current boat for 26 years and I'm not one to consider keeping a boat to manufacturer's standards for the purpose of resale. Once again, these choices are dependant upon how you use your boat. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 09-17-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
We are weekenders and week long trip sailors and enjoy having guests but even so, there are several better ways I could think of to use the space of a second head and related plumbing.

We've had as many as 5 on our 36' boat for a long weekend and no one seemed to have a problem with having only one head. i would love to have a full shower enclosure so I could shower on my boat instead of relying on the marina facilites, however it seems most boats large enough to have 2 heads also feature a shower in one of them.

I think I'd prefer the space be used as a sail storage/work space or a larger owner cabin with more storage for clothes. I just don't see two heads as a major desire for us.
Old 09-17-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Coming into port - after 10 days or so at sea - there is simply nothing more lux than cleaning up in a big shower.

Stepping off a boat all clean and scrubbed in a new port is always a great feeling.
Old 09-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Two heads = twice the grief (potentially)...

Unless there's a large gang aboard all the time can't see the need either. Making sure whatever you do to the space is reversible for re-sale makes good sense.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)