Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011

sailordoc is on a distinguished road
Sailboat partner needed - Penobscot bay - incredible!

Dear fellow sailors:

I love sailing and currently I own a 2004 Catalina 28 which is kept in Stockton Springs, Maine (Penobscot Bay). My problem is quite simple and I believe I have a fantastic offer for the appropriate sailor:

I am a busy physician, getting progressively busier and for that reason I am having less and less time for taking care of a boat. On the other hand I would like to continue owning a boat.

So here it goes, please spread the word in case you know people who fits the profile I need:

My offer is to have a very atypical and special kind of sailboat partnership:

I am looking for a retired, knowledgeable, available, meticulous, very careful, sailboat expert who leaves close to my sailing location, for joining me for a partnership in my current and future boats (I plan to purchase something in the 35 ft range soon).

Such partner will be able to use the boat WHENEVER I AM NOT SAILING and will basically contribute with availability, time, labor, expertise, as I will contribute with most financial expenses. That's true: he/she will have MINIMAL financial expenses.

Interested sailors should send me cv and sailing resume.

Folks, do you think I will be successful in finding such person. Anyone with previous experience with sharing boats? Did it work? If not, why?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
I all works out for you in your endeavors Doc.
Old 09-18-2011

Thanks! Same to you.
Old 09-18-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sailordoc,
I've had a partner in my 27' Tartan since the day we bought her about 8 years ago. Before I got into this arrangement I was advised by an old sailing friend that partnerships such as this are rarely a partnership of equals. While this adage is most certainly true I like to think that our differences (my partner and me) are what makes us stronger as a whole.
Yes, I end up doing most of the things that involve 'boat snot' (re-bedding, finishing, epoxy, painting) while my partner excels at electrical, plumbing and engine work. Of course we overlap quite a bit in our skills but it has served us both quite well for now. I am certain that another aspect of the success of our partnership is that we have known each other for 30 years or so. We also share the yearly costs of ownership which makes our partnership one of nearly equals, or about as close as it could be.
What you seem to be asking for is certainly a possibility too. I know of one fellow in CT who would likely sign up to the partnership that you are suggesting, but, alas CT is much too far from Maine.
A successful partnership is not bought by money as much as trust and mutual understanding, and in my case, friendship and patience. I think you need to be a bit more specific about what your expectations are about "WHENEVER I AM NOT SAILING" means to a prospective partner, in terms of when THEY could use the boat.
Perhaps those details a premature at this point so I wish you the best in your enterprise and hope you can find an ideal partner; however unlikely.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Hi Doc I'm probably the Connecticut guy Caleb is referencing. I've been doing the exact service for a couple people the last few years.

We have a little longer season here than in Maine and a lot of really top notch marinas. Might be good to get away from the office for a long weekend once in a while.

This offer is made in jest of course unless you decide to take is seriously then it is a serious offer.

One of my customers lives in Florida and keeps his boat here so who knows what would work for you.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-18-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
sailordoc, I hope you find someone to fit the opportunity. I think it is a great idea. I have more money than time, and more time than expertise. Until I can afford to retire (if I can afford to retire), I have to pay people to do some of the work on my boat. Example, I dinged my stern on dock roller. It was just a chip in the gelcoat primarily, but it exposed the glass mat. I was pissed at myself for doing it, and I didn't have the time to do a repair. I hired a couple of guys that can do anything and they took care of it over a weekend.

If these guys wanted to enter into such a deal, I'd jump at it. They are good sailors and know Catalina's inside and out. I also have another friend who can do just about any repair and maintenance on boat. I've paid him to repaint, rewire, install furnaces, etc.. on my boats. However, he and I could never be a partner in a boat since he and his wife are dedicated racers and our needs for the boat are too different.

Good luck. I hope you find the right person.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Yup. David is the one.

David is the one I was thinking of in CT. Great sailor and all around good guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Hi Doc I'm probably the Connecticut guy Caleb is referencing. I've been doing the exact service for a couple people the last few years.

We have a little longer season here than in Maine and a lot of really top notch marinas. Might be good to get away from the office for a long weekend once in a while.

This offer is made in jest of course unless you decide to take is seriously then it is a serious offer.

One of my customers lives in Florida and keeps his boat here so who knows what would work for you.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-20-2011

Thank you very much folks for trying to help, I will reply to each of you later but now I have to leave to start my daily routine .

Best regards!