Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: buyer's broker payment questions

" It takes too much time to go look at all these boats. "
Then go buy a new boat, because any broker or agent you could hire is going to have to spend that much time and more, and they're entitled to be paid for that time. And presumably more expertise than you have.

The cruel truth.
davidpm and mitiempo like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think you can go with someone like Robert Perry as he offers a consulting service. He may not go out and find the actual boat, but he should be able to whittle down the list anyway. It is really more just honestly looking at your intentions on what you are doing with the boat, and finding boats that fit that need. If you are going to be day sailing in lighter winds, (say Chesapeake Bay for example) then a heavy cruiser is not going to be a good match.

You really should be able to narrow it down quite easily even by posting the list here and what your plans are. No one here has a bone in the fight, but remember the advice may be worth what you paid for it.

As far as fire damaged boat, that would not be a deal killer but even if fixed properly it would still be worth perhaps 60% of what a good example was worth.

Did you wind up with a boat?
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-29-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerpb View Post
I don't go back on my word, and now I have a broker who I looked in the eye and promised to use.
Yeah, and he looked you in the eye and made promises, too, didn't he? And he is not keeping those promises, is he? He is not representing you the way he should be. You will NOT be breaking your promise if you go and find someone else. He already broke the deal!
arf145 likes this.
Old 10-29-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I'm in Real Estate and I often work as a buyer's broker. bljones is right. A good broker will not wish to waste his time pushing you towards something you dont want. If you decide to go with a broker, be forthright and realistic about your needs and wants in a boat and make sure to discuss them frankly with your broker. That more than anything else will help you both greatly.

Good luck!

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
As someone who works on commission, I will argue that if you want results, hire a guy who doesn't get paid unless he gets the job done.

Of course, there are those who argue that "well, because a broker works on commission, he is going to steer me toward higher priced boats so he can make more money."
Wrong.
It makes no sense to a commission broker to steer you toward a boat you won't buy. It wastes his time and money, because if you don't buy he makes nothing. He also runs the risk of losing you as clients, because he is wasting YOUR time, too.

A GOOD broker will find you the right boat, at the right price, as quickly as possible.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 10-29-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
be forthright and realistic about your needs and wants in a boat and make sure to discuss them frankly with your broker.
Excellent point. The broker can't help you if he doesn't know--in absolutely unequivocal terms--what it is that you want. Given the OPs other postings here I have to wonder if he is hemming and hawing, and letting the broker tell him what he should look for, rather than coming straight out and saying in words that cannot be misunderstood, "This is the kind of boat that I want, and this is how much I am willing to pay."

Tags
broker , commission