Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011

Minga is on a distinguished road
First Step - Advice

Hi All
My name is John and have to admit that i have been reading your forum for some time, but now is time to join your great community.
I have a big dilemma (read problems, hiccups ?).
I am 58, no family left (just me and my dog Penny. I am finding that keeping my 3 bedroom house and some land is getting harder from day to day. I am thinking of selling up and, as i always love the sea, get a nice live a board or costal sailing live (early retirement)
I have to admit, it is a scary thing for me. It is a: stepping from comfy zone i know into something i am not sure about. I did make an broker inquiry and he forward some boats for me look at it. It is and Adams 31 (centre cockpit) and Swanson 32.
But this not my biggest dilemma. I would like to hear from anyone who maybe found him/her self in similar situation (early retirement and big next step into unknown).
I am not sure about cost of sailing and living aboard in marinas, (having my dog Penny with me) This part is scary for me. My founds will be around 200k before qualify for government pension, another 7 years, (money come from sale of my house and paying all my debts).
Would appreciate all comments and advices.

Regards - John

PS. I am currently undertaking my first sailing lessons from one of the Melbourne sailing schools with further costal navigation training (just in case).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
How big is Penny?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 09-18-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
A good first step is to live aboard a boat for a short while. Try a week long bareboat charter course. Learn some basics first to get them out of the way so you can focus on the living aboard part.

That said, it probably won't tell you anything you can't figure out from reading a few books. The conditions are more vacation-like, and don't expose you to the realities of day to day living tied up in close proximity to all the other folks getting away from it all.
Old 09-18-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
First - buy a wee boat or join a club in order to sail as much as you can for say 2 summer seasons. You will expand your knowledge immensely. Then after 2 years, you'll be ready to buy a live aboard with full confidence.
Old 09-18-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
First - buy a wee boat or join a club in order to sail as much as you can...
Heh. Sailing has little, if anything, to do with living aboard a boat.
Old 09-18-2011

Well. Penny is about knee high and we been together for 14 years. As for a sailing, i did some time ago on small cat, but nothing big (around 30 foot range).
The main reason i am thinking go on water is the cost of living here in Australia. The prices are getting high for everything from food to utilities. I have found that i am working for about $500 a month after all expenses are paid. I know that many people out there are getting much less, but i think that living on own boat ken be possibly less expensive (correct me if i am wrong). And yes i would love to sail to some destinations if possible. As a diesel fitter mechanic i can fix engines (including marine type). So hope that i may pick a dollar or two doing some maintenance here and there.
But the biggest thing for me is the possible step out of the comfy zone i am now into the unknown territory which the sailing and living onboard is.

John
Old 09-18-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Saltwater Suzi and I were in your shoes about 15 years ago. We have learned a lot over the years and have attempted to share some of what we have learned on our website, the Frugal Mariner. Take as look here for our take on - The Cruising Dream (which can also be construed as the Liveaboard Dream).

Best of luck to you. And, while it's nice to have a pet along as a friend, we highly recommend someone else who can also occasionally 'man the helm' when necessary.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 09-18-2011

Wow, thank you for your link to your web site. Lots of info. Appreciate very much.
I will definitely take your advice as i am taking my first steps. I have not seen and boats yet, but at least i am aware what to look for and what the right questions to ask.
I will-be also putting my name in local yacht club for anyone who is looking for a crew to gain experience.
Thank you again LarryandSusanMacDonald for your adice.

Regards - John