SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cheap Storage Options in Annapolis (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/78893-cheap-storage-options-annapolis.html)

Bigbobhooter 09-18-2011 11:09 PM

Cheap Storage Options in Annapolis

Any suggestions for places to park a 35 footer for the winter in the Annapolis area? I can either stay in the water or haul-- just want access to work on her during the cold months.

I priced out the boatyards on Back Creek, which seems to be the center of Annapolis, and they just feel crazily expensive. Jabins quoted about $500 per month to store on the hard-- and that's after paying $500 or so to be hauled!

All suggestions appreciated.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 09-19-2011 06:53 AM

Check out Herrington Harbour North in Tracys Landing MD. About 15 miles south of Annapolis. They have the largest land storage area on the Chesapeake, possibly the east coast. You can work on your boat or they have numerous contractors on site; mechanics, fiberglass repair and blister removal, carpentry, canvas & sail work, riggers, electricians and a West Marine on the property for all the parts you need.

SVAuspicious 09-19-2011 07:46 AM

HHN is a good idea. They are really decent about DIY work on the hard or in the water. Do be aware that there have been issues with offsite contractors who compete with onsite businesses.

Also try Eastport Yacht Center - they are less expensive than Port A or Jabins.

Low end of the market is probably Petrini's Shipyard on Spa Creek.

If you don't need services and are staying in the water Watergate Village Marina may be able to help you. I don't think they have an off season rate; let me know if you are interested and I can walk over and talk to the management folks.

Similarly you might want to talk to John Kelly at Woodsback Marina. It's a small private marina in Eastport.

For the latter two, please tell them Dave on Auspicious sent you.

Bigbobhooter 09-19-2011 09:14 AM

Thanks guys-- I'll follow up on your suggestions and post back anything else I come up with.

I really didn't think I'd ever find a place with marinas and boatyards that have higher prices than San Francisco, but Annapolis has now moved to the top of that list!

brak 09-19-2011 09:21 AM

I used Casa Rio marina/boat yard in Mayo, MD for a few years. The prices were quite a bit lower (about $150 a month I believe) just 2 years ago. They are a DIY yard, and also provide most services (as long as you are not in a rush :) )

Quickstep192 09-19-2011 09:29 AM

I recently had my boat at Smith's Marina which is just a bit upstream from Annapolis. Their prices seemed very reasonable and they were incredibly nice to deal with.

BubbleheadMd 09-19-2011 11:33 AM

You guys that are suggesting HHN apparently skimmed over the word "cheap" in his request.

Right next to Herrington Harbor North, is Rockhold Creek Marina. Also second the suggestion for Casa Rio marina. I'm hauling out there for a quick repair on Thursday. Also near Casa Rio is Holiday Hill Marina. Very affordable, but not very heavy on amenities.

ramminjammin 09-19-2011 01:17 PM

try holiday hill marina , on the rhode river

i left my 40 foot sailboat on a mooring there one winter

the owner even gave me a ride from annapolis plus lent me his truck one afternoon

it was 100 per month for the mooring

good luck