Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I still think he needs about 75 feet of chain and 250 feet of rope. Oh, and the anchor should be at least a 75 pounder. :'o
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
If anyone has seen pictures of the Mistral 16, it isn't designed to do what he wants to do but he's making it work and I give him credit for that.

There's a reason those of us in the chat room (who have gotten to know him and have followed his boat saga) call him "Huck." To me, it's refreshing to see a kid off the couch and outside just being a kid.
I agree. I checked out the pictures and didn't think that he had a bow roller, so one of the responses wouldn't be exactly applicable to him at this time (or to me, which is another reason I was inquiring).

And certainly, it's nice to welcome someone to sailing who isn't my age (way beyond 40) and is as enthusiastic as he is!

Old 09-21-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I still think he needs about 75 feet of chain and 250 feet of rope. Oh, and the anchor should be at least a 75 pounder. :'o
Hmmm.
That's one option. Another option might be an el cheapo imitation Danforth that weighs about nine pounds, a hundred feet of rope rode, and don't sleep too sound.

That's assuming you're going to start out in relatively shallow water, 8 or 10 feet deep for a while.
Tempest likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 09-22-2011
Rapscallion

epaolino is on a distinguished road
Maybe we can give Huck some info on where he can get a small used cheap anchor.

Anyone see one at a yard sale or a scrap yard or something that is close by his location?
Old 09-22-2011
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Huck,

Forgive me if you've got this info already but, when you install the cleat, don't forget to use a backer to spread the load, otherwise the cleat may pull out.

Also, after you follow all of the advice here, think about anchoring out for an afternoon so you can see how your boat and ground tackle behave while you are awake and have light to use while you work out any bugs.

Good luck!
DRFerron likes this.
Old 09-22-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A. Advise on anchoring threads is very conservative...

... and is based upon bigger boats and old men (I'm one of those). Worse come to worse, this boat is beachable.

B. This is a light boat. Chafing through the rode is unlikely, since the anchoring loads are trivial. 5-feet of 3/16-inch chain would probably do, backed by 100 feet of 3/8-inch line. It's a small boat and he will anchor very close to shore.
C. A 6- to 8-pound anchor should do. I might also carry and extra 100 feet of line and a smaller anchor, perhaps 2-4 pounds. Perhaps not.
D. A backing plate is still a good idea, because though the load is low, the deck may be very thin. Again, nothing too thick; 1/8-inch aluminum or 1/2-inch ply about 4 inches in dia. should do.

I cruised a Prindle 16 a few times (tent and beached, though anchored a few times with a 4-pound danforth. I also cruised a 27-foot 1200-pound catamaran for thousands of miles with a 6-pound Fortress and an 8-pound danforth. Each had 5 feet of chain. I have a larger boat now with a more traditional ground tackle, which would be ALL WRONG for a 16-foot day boat. Who is this group has cruised a 16-foor boat?

The most important advise, IMHO, is to avoid thunderstorms in a small boat. Sail early and hunkerdown in the afternoon as needed. Don't be a hero. There is no heavy weather plan that is dependable in a boat that light.

And have fun!
kpgraci likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 09-22-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
can you get a pic up of the bow and cleat you screwed in so we can figure a way to make it strong?

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 09-22-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I would recommend a small little Fortress. One key point for the Fortress is it is that you can disassemble it for easy storage. Storage on a small boat without an anchor roller might be a problem. The Fortress should help. You can even get a canvas carrying bag for them.

I think a Fortress would be a good place to start.
Go for an FX-7 Fortress Marine Anchors

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-22-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Just found a picture of the Mistral 16 on sailing texas.
Great looking little boat! Looks like a ton of fun to sail.
Stowing the anchor is going to be an issue. I think you are going to like the disassemble feature of the fortress.
I would also look into fabricating a boom tent for yourself. Nothing worse than waking up soaking wet from an overnight rain shower. It will also keep you protected from the hot sun during the day time.
Good luck with your plans and go for it.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-22-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
That boom tent is a good idea. 9x12 plastic tarp would work as a start. Use lots of zip lock bags. They will keep your socks and underware dry. Good way to store lots of things.

Anchor - 5 gallon bucket, light weight danforth or claw type, 3 ft of 1/4" chain, 100 ft of 1/4" 3 strand nylon and gloves. All fits in bucket to store away. Don't forget to secure the line to the boat before you drop the anchor overboard. And see if it is a better option to move in close to shore and use a spring line between two trees. Enjoy!