SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   how to anchor my small boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/78954-how-anchor-my-small-boat.html)

smallboatlover 09-20-2011 05:39 PM

how to anchor my small boat

well since i want to sleep on my sailboat that means anchoring out and i don't have much expericence in anchoring out. i will have a 2 hp motor so what do i need to do to anchor the boat. what size anchor? and how much chain. i am going to install a cleat tommarrow so thats what i will tie it to. but how do i anchor it so i can sleep peacefully through the night.

Epicpopsicle 09-20-2011 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
16'...

jackdale 09-20-2011 06:09 PM

I would recommend twice as much chain as the length of your boat. Then add to that enough rode that you can anchor with at least a 7 to 1 ratio. (depth+tide+freeboard). More is better.

Once you have laid out your rode, dig it with your 2 hp engine. Look to both sides to get a transit to ensure you are not moving and then grasp the rode forward of the bow roller to check that the rode is hard and not vibrating through the anchor skipping across the bottom. Viola.

rikhall 09-20-2011 07:15 PM

There are branches of the USPS safe boating group all over the USA - take a look at this one evening seminar:

USPS Educational Department - Anchoring

Rik

junkrig 09-20-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikhall (Post 777437)
There are branches of the USPS safe boating group all over the USA - take a look at this one evening seminar:

USPS Educational Department - Anchoring

Rik

As a member of my local USPS Squadron, I can absolutely guarantee that your local squadron wherever you live would LOVE to have you come around for anything from one seminar to membership.

Here's my squadron's web site: The Kansas City Sail and Power Squadron - Home

We'd give a lot to have some young people come around. :D:D Your squadron could teach you a lot... probably learn a lot from you too.

Jeff

LarryandSusanMacDonald 09-21-2011 08:41 AM

Here's our take:

The Frugal Mariner: How to set anchor to keep from dragging

INMA 09-21-2011 01:31 PM

Fortress Marine Anchors

Fortress Anchors - Safe Anchoring Guide

I use 10m of chain with a FX7 for a light 24 foot yacht on soft bottoms, the extra chain is because I anchor around coral and need to keep the nylon line off the bottom.

If your anchoring on rubble or weed then a heavy anchor and tackle is more appropriate. Generally locals in an area can give good advise regarding what works best in the area your cruising.

arknoah 09-21-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 777388)
Look to both sides to get a transit to ensure you are not moving and then grasp the rode forward of the bow roller to check that the rode is hard and not vibrating through the anchor skipping across the bottom. Viola.

I am wondering if the original poster has a bow roller, and how you might modify your advice if he doesn't have one. Just sayin'...

DRFerron 09-21-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arknoah (Post 777802)
I am wondering if the original poster has a bow roller, and how you might modify your advice if he doesn't have one. Just sayin'...

I happen to know that he does not. Smallboatlover is 15 years old and doing a great job trying to make this boat that his dad gave him into one that he can hang out on during the weekends and in the summer (when he isn't in school). He isn't going into the open ocean with it unless it's by some freak accident and he'll more than likely not be too far out of a protected area.

If anyone has seen pictures of the Mistral 16, it isn't designed to do what he wants to do but he's making it work and I give him credit for that.

There's a reason those of us in the chat room (who have gotten to know him and have followed his boat saga) call him "Huck." :D To me, it's refreshing to see a kid off the couch and outside just being a kid.

captainrizzo 09-21-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 777810)
There's a reason those of us in the chat room (who have gotten to know him and have followed his boat saga) call him "Huck." :D To me, it's refreshing to see a kid off the couch and outside just being a kid.

Ditto! Go Huck!