SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Will you be lost?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  apogee1mars 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I'm with Joe, and I don't think I would have any real issues more than I already do.

I figure there will be a fix sooner than later, anyways, but then again, I'm not really going to be affected that much because my poor C22 is on the hard for refitting.

Your mileage may vary...

#13 ·
Whats GPS?!?!?!?! is that using my map/chart and compass? they is removing this option!....oh dear or me oh my! need to go see the wizard! to fix this horrible mess.....paper charts are not working no more.....for shame for shame........may have to go back to using stars.......but it rains too dang much here in the salish sea.....hmmmmm what to do.....what to do......hmmmmmm.........

#14 ·
The Bear's two cents worth
Here in the big pond we know west is Texas, and Mexico, North is La., Miss., Ala., An N Fla, east is Fla. and south is hot, do not go there. Beside stop and ask at the next derrict for directions and can we use the rest room. Gee, what are you doing out of sight of land without a compass, paper charts and even small floating chips, a plastic protractor and watch? Five hundred years ago men were sailing all over the earth with the simplest, read primitive, tools and and instruments and getting there and back. Have we dumbed ourselves into such a low level of knowledge that all we can do is push a button and depend on electronic devices to supply our knowlegledge to us. To go off shore without the basic knowledge of dead reckoning navagation and the tools to do it with is to endanger one's self, the crew and those who will have to come after you. For Shame!

#16 ·
I learned on Steam driven instruments for aircraft, and the old school navigation for boats and ships. Technology is nice but it can render primary navigation skills insufficient for many over time. This is a current problem the Airlines is having with many of their pilots. Everything is so automated anymore, off line skills have suffered. Murphy was an optimist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.