Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011

whorne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75R20 View Post
Since no one else has said it....I will. Your boat and trailer set-up was designed for use with a sling, and not a ramp. While I applaud you and the others for trying.....the boat ramps in my part of the country are far too busy for that kinda messing round. lowering\moving a trailer out from your tow vehicle with a strap will surely bring the harbour patrol out and tickets will be written.....doesn't matter what there for but it will ruin your day.
Best of luck with that.
Kary
S/V Mariah
Hey...that's cool. Sorry to hear that boating in your part of the world is so hectic. I have paid $280 to launch my boat with a travel lift. I would not consider dinking around at a busy ramp. Using the strap has been a pretty smooth in and out operation but I would only attempt it if there were no other boaters using the ramp. Things are pretty laid-back in the south. Come on down sometime and relax.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011

Tides in this part of the Gulf average 1.4 feet.
Old 09-21-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Round trip at the marina that I use is $24.00, up from $20.00 2 years ago.
Good luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 09-21-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
To pull our 58 foot purse seiner is ~$300.00 one way including blocking.......I'd sure look at cheaper sling trips. We're roughly 100,000 lbs. gross weight, with a draft of 15 feet......not exactly a boat ramp vessel.
To pull with the crane is ~$250.00
Prices qouted 10 minutes ago...Seaview Boatyard, Seattle WA.
Kary
Old 09-21-2011

I have a 23 foot Paceship that I am refurbishing so that I will have a boat that I can launch more easily. I'm just trying to get one last cruise out of my Cal 25 before I try to sell it. I love the boat but it is just too much for my pocket book if I can't launch from a ramp. Its too bad because I think it is just the right size boat for me, big enough to be comfortable but small enough to single hand. Wish the launch wasn't such a headache.
Old 09-22-2011

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
rather than looking for a suitable ramp in the area your visiting maybe search for a marina that has a boatell , I would think the forklift charge to set you on and off would be quite reasonable.
Old 09-22-2011

kamala is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorne View Post
I have a fixed keel sailboat on a trailer. I need about 6 ft of water to float the boat off the trailer. Looking for a boat ramp that is deep enough has been very frustrating because any ramp directory gives info about the amenities, number of lanes, parking spaces etc. but does not include the depth of water at the end of the concrete. I want to launch in the Gulf of Mexico between Mobile Alabama and Panama City Florida. Any suggestions?
I'm in a similar situation with a wing keel Catalina 22 and similar ramp requirements. I have used the Brooks Bridge Ramp. They have a very deep ramp and are located at the western end of Okaloosa island between Ft Walton and Destin. Great parking lot to step the mast, good service, deep ramp. I will say there can be a pretty quick current that makes putting the boat back on the ramp interesting but launching is no problem. I haven't been there in 2 years so I would call before heading over. It is across the street from a really large dry storage facility that is completely unhelpful. Let me know if you need more info.

Google Maps Coordinates
30.399613,-86.600214
whorne likes this.
Old 09-22-2011

The post I was hoping for...Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamala View Post
I'm in a similar situation with a wing keel Catalina 22 and similar ramp requirements. I have used the Brooks Bridge Ramp. They have a very deep ramp and are located at the western end of Okaloosa island between Ft Walton and Destin. Great parking lot to step the mast, good service, deep ramp. I will say there can be a pretty quick current that makes putting the boat back on the ramp interesting but launching is no problem. I haven't been there in 2 years so I would call before heading over. It is across the street from a really large dry storage facility that is completely unhelpful. Let me know if you need more info.

Google Maps Coordinates
30.399613,-86.600214
Now THIS is the reply I have been hoping for. Many, many thanks my friend!
Old 09-22-2011

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
A marina with a hoist is your best bet. I sailed out of Mobile Bay in an O'Day 22 (3 ft draft). It was difficult to put even that size boat in the water using a ramp. Most of the time we used a hoist. They are also plentiful around the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-22-2011

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
If interested, there is a Marina on the Dog River accross from the Mobile Yacht Club. (Cant remember the name?). They have a hoist.

Tags
deep water , florida , launch , ramp