Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Bladders are a GREAT idea ... except for a few issues.

He has a 75 gallon tank and a 75 gallon 'bladder' will not have baffles to lessen the fluid impact (during 'rough' conditions) thus will most probably 'split at its seams' ... and it will 'chafe' itself into destruction when its 'that' large or even at 75/2 gallons per two 'bladders'.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Not very scientific but dried figs do stop fuel. You open one up and put on the hole from outside. Worth a try?
Old 09-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Take it out, put in a new one. Anything else is temporary
Old 09-21-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Bladders are a GREAT idea ... except for a few issues.

He has a 75 gallon tank and a 75 gallon 'bladder' will not have baffles to lessen the fluid impact (during 'rough' conditions) thus will most probably 'split at its seams' ... and it will 'chafe' itself into destruction when its 'that' large or even at 75/2 gallons per two 'bladders'.
The bladders are tougher than that. Some are baffled and they have been aircraft approved for many years. You could coat the entire inside of the tank with GRIP before installation. Fill the bladder to have it form fit the ID of the tank and that would do it. Do you think the original tanks are baffled? I wonder.
Old 09-21-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Bladders are temporary solutions. And they expand and contract as they are filled and as the fuel is used...so you will never know how much fuel you actually have in the bladder.
Old 09-21-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Bladders are temporary solutions. And they expand and contract as they are filled and as the fuel is used...so you will never know how much fuel you actually have in the bladder.
I beg to differ with you good sir. If the bladder is placed into the holding tank properly it will not expand and contract with the fuel quantity. If having exact knowledge of fuel quantity on board ever became guess work this could be resolved with a fuel totalizer. They are so squared away now days they will keep a log, show GPH and of course total fuel burnt. They are an inline item and do not need to go into the tank. The triple lumen material that is now being used for the bladder will go 15 years, but it almost always goes longer than that. I don't know about you but I hope I am still above room temperature in fifteen years!
Old 09-26-2011

dalraidia is on a distinguished road
Leak in fuel tank

Thanks for all the good replies. I like the idea of putting something inside the present fuel tank. Trying to pull it out would be a bear. Won't say it could not be done, because I feel sure it could. But for the type of sailing that I am doing these days I think the fuel bladder idea would probably work just fine. So will investigate that. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
The life of a bladder tank inside a rusty old steel tank is going to be measured in [ a few ]hours the first time you encounter a situation where the boat is rolling or pitching regular basis.

You got to bite the bullet remove the old tank [ an angle grinder is your friend here ] then figure out how to replace it possibly with two or more tanks in the same space. Do you need 75 galls?
Old 09-26-2011

dalraidia is on a distinguished road
Well, the first thing is to take the top of the tank off and see what it looks like inside. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of protective "sheath" being inserted inside the tank to protect the bladder. So will talk to some good boatyard people and see what ideas they have. I still think a bladder is the way to go, if it is protected. But they may have different ideas. Right now, the leak is not all that bad, and so I have plenty of time. But of course it will only get worse.
Old 09-26-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Sooner or later that tank will be coming out - either to do any of the suggested repairs in a reasonable amount of time in a favorable work environment or to replace it. The bladder idea may seem great (because of the money saved???) and those hi tech foam filled bladders look amazing, but is he realistically going to get into that limited space, with tools, to cut the holes, to dress the hard edges, and KNOW FOR SURE that it fits right - without yanking the tank out of the boat? Coating the outside of the tank is a bandaid that will almost certainly fail when least expected and in the worst conditions. Then what? Bight the bullet and put in a new tank (stainless steel or one of those hi tech units), replace the fuel lines, clamps & valves, really clean up the area the tank has been sitting in for 38 years and get the job done right the first time. The $ spent now will be offset by failure and down time later - Oops! Just my thoughts.