Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I agree with dinghy prices from Defender when they go on sale...usually in the winter. While Shawn is right about Oak Harbor and Ken is reputable as heck ( although not timely) we got a better deal on our new Harken furler from Harbor Haven by about $250 and they will match any specials you see on line also. We got the Harken IV Unit 2, but I think the Unikt 1 would fit Spindrift. Their labor is cheaper by $25 per hour to install. It could be put on on a weekend sail over there in a few hours. I would recommend replacing the forestay at the same time and also make sure you get the right toggle for the foot to have the Harken off the deck.

BTW we are planning Cacaway this coming weekend., are you guys game?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Dave, we're definitely in for the Cacaway trip next weekend.
Old 10-10-2011

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
We went Saturday and Sunday. We were able to park Saturday in a church lot for $20. Not bad (although they obviously weren't offering the lot on Sunday). Sunday was a LOT less crowded than Saturday, therefore more enjoyable. I noticed most of the same vendors as last time, which I guess is a good sign of the economy. People were lined up to see the Beneteaus and Jeanneaus like they were giving them away! Which, in comparison to some of the other boats, kinda seemed like they were. LOL I think Jeanneau had some starting in the range of @$280,000 for a 40'.
Old 10-10-2011

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
We were there Friday and parked in the stadium for $10.00, $34.00 for admission, $3.00 for a bottle of water and $12.00 for two cups of soup. Only went on two boats, a Farr 40 and a Harken(?). We were there to talk with the vendors and to gather literature, not so much to see the boats we can't afford. On Saturday we visited Bacon Sails and ended up buying a main. It was our first time to the Annapolis boat show. Tad over priced but over all a good experience. Got some grand kids visiting time in as well.
Old 10-10-2011

PanamaRed is on a distinguished road
Good Show

This was my first boat show, I had a great time. However, it was much like any other type of trade show I have been to, but a lot less crowded than I expected (i.e., Oshkosh Air Adventure).

I thought the food prices were reasonable, a lot less that at a ski resort. Vendors were friendly, and there were numerous show specials, especially with the sail magazines.

It was great to see all the boats. I was surprised that Jenneau had almost as many boats there as all the rest put together. They had quite a setup, lounge, salesmen, and hostesses.

My favorite booth was the free gin or maybe vodka booth. I liked it.

We parked on Riva road due to the Navy homegame (I can't believe I was so close to the Naval Academy, not my favorite place, Go Army!), anyway the bus transportation from Riva Road to the show was well run and timely. Parking was $10.00 which included round trip bus trans. Did not have to wait for the buses, just walked up, got on and the bus left, about a 15 minute drive either way.

Overall, well organized show, lots of fun, good place to learn about sailing. Pusser's had good food and Great Beer!

BTW, the dingy dock was not so well organized, but that seems to be the situation in many other places as well.
Old 10-10-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
We were there Friday and parked in the stadium for $10.00, $34.00 for admission, $3.00 for a bottle of water and $12.00 for two cups of soup. Only went on two boats, a Farr 40 and a Harken(?). We were there to talk with the vendors and to gather literature, not so much to see the boats we can't afford. On Saturday we visited Bacon Sails and ended up buying a main. It was our first time to the Annapolis boat show. Tad over priced but over all a good experience. Got some grand kids visiting time in as well.
Captainmeme,

Since your wristband gets you in an out of the show all day, if you decide to go again you might want to consider buying water from the CVS that's within about 50 feet of the entrance and eating in one of the many restaurants that are within spitting distance of the show. I expect higher food prices inside the show gates, kind of like most trade shows. When we go we step out and eat lunch at one of the bars. It gets us away from the crowd and we take some time to look over the brochures we picked up and maybe work on a strategy for when we get back inside.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-10-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Hey guys do you know this video about the show:

Annapolis Sailboat Show Timelapse - YouTube
T37Chef likes this.
Old 10-10-2011

Great video PCP.. I was laughing

I usually have my strategy before I go to the show. Dickering to get better prices on things I really need or want. Its a great place to meet friends too. $7 for a delicious pit beef sandwhich at the fleet club with and ice cold draft for 5$ seems resonsable so as not to have to fight the crowds in and out of the show and eat the crappy food with the snarling servers in the restaurants surrounding the boat show. The ice ceam place is the best in the shows vicinity.

Now dinner is different...Josses has great bait...I mean sushi and sashimi for dinner.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-10-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I spent Saturday and Sunday at the show and it was great. Being from Los Angeles, part of the enjoyment was simply looking around the charming city of Annapolis. I hadn't been off the parking bus 5 minutes when I said, "I want to live here". LOL. Spent Saturday checking out boats. My favorites were the Tartan 37, Jeauneau 439 and, if I hit the lottery, the Outbound 46. Not sure where I've been, but GEEZ! have boats become expensive. Having spent Sunday learning that I can replace my 36 footer for a cool $ 250,000 - $ 350,000, I spent Sunday walking the tents looking for things to buy to improve my humble, but paid for, boat. Found a great deal, IMO, on a Honda 2000 generator. $ 899 + 25 shipped to Cali and no sales tax. Don't think I could beat that anywhere. Spending this week sightseeing in DC, quick stop at Ohio State to see my kid and home on Monday. I would definitely like to come back and will plan to see/learn more about the area next time.

Mike
Old 10-10-2011

Mike great deal on the Honda did you know you can get attachment and run it on propane. I have been reading about that as that may be a better way to go with it.

Hope you have fun in dc and visit some of the museums I suggested.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.