SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What's your dream boat?

Tags
dream boat
11K views 58 replies 41 participants last post by  paulatcrag 
#1 ·
If you could own any older sailboat fully refurbished and in mint condition, let's say between 35 and 45 feet what would it be and why?

#30 ·
The boat I have now fits my need perfectly, a 31 ft steel twin keeler of my own design. If I won the lottery I wouldnt change boats. By the time my first boat hit the water I wished I had done a lot of things differenly. The second one took me eight years befoe I wished I had done enough differently, to build another.My current boat is 29 years old and there is little I would change.

#31 · (Edited)
If I "won the lottery" I woul;d probably have my hull built 50% bigger, riigged as a schooner and have some major changes made to the cabin lay out.....though is I had a very big chunk of change land in my lap (but not enough for a new boat) I would make some major changes....
hmmmm that almost sounds like the makings of a new thread.....if you you could change one thing on your boat what would it be? I am happy with my hull, my rig and my engine....so I'd have to say I'd rebuild the accommodations from scratch, which would include modifications to the cockpit and lazarette ((which would become an aft cabin).
Then I would have as close to my dream boat as I will ever get

#42 ·
Say you won El Gordo lottery, last year worth 720 million Euros. then what would you buy?
An island,
....for bad weather,
One of these: Meet the "Cosmic Muffin"
....for no-wind days,
And this Exuma 44
....for most of the time.

#43 ·
Passport 40 (if it has had chainplates replaced) and is well cared for. Awesome galley. Good sailer. Solid. Stable and predictable. Fantastic engine access -maybe the best.

Passport 42/Slocum 43 -for the same reasons

Nordic 44 -and if you could afford it Norseman 447

See a trend? PERRY BOATS!

#51 ·
I got to see several of these old style boats sailing, by the way the one in the picture was built in 2012, and I have always loved them. I think that seeing a vessel like this under sail is one of the most beautiful things there is to see. Since you like the schooners....

There might just be something for you to enjoy here...

BTW, I am currently looking at a Kettenburg K-43 that I am really considering, and you might just see it here, but I am not telling which one it is, I want to keep that to myself until I can get it sorted out if I am going to buy it or not HAHA.

#52 ·
Lovely video... makes me wish I were there to see that

I just love the "work boat" look of cutters and schooners. It is one of the reasons I am planning on selling my seasprite in a couple of years and looking for a Catboat

#55 ·
If you like those boats and the whole premise of what they do you should check out The Ancient Mariners Sailing Society at

Ancient Mariners Sailing Society - Home

I do not know if they have chapters where you are, but it might be fun to find out. I wish I was out there with them, but not this year, maybe next year after my contract is done here and I buy the boat I am looking for, I love the classic styling and lines of these boats, and the fact that their owners are putting on this event just makes it better.

I am sure that if you put your mind to it you can find something similar in your area, as long as you are close to the sea...unlike me :(

A sailor in the desert is not a happy sailor, and no those are not sea cacti...

#54 · (Edited)
Lagoon 450 owners version. Stepped aboard one at the San Diego boat show and been looking at Lagoon's ever since. May as well dream big, it doesn't cost any more.
The Gunboat 66 is nice too but doesn't fit the OP's size limit.
Edit: Missed the and why part...
Space, lots of space. And stability. I really like the panoramic view from the saloon. When I was a 17 year old kid one of my first cars was a 1973 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, Of always had a thing for big. Except when it comes to my wallet... :(

#56 ·
The marketing industry that runs this culture of ours would like people to think that the way to impress someone with a boat is by doing so with the latest greatest 6 figure boat on the market. Though what is actually impressive is for someone to come into a crowded anchorage under sail and drop the hook all in one clean motion, then raise anchor under sail the next morning. Docking can be equally impressive.....unlike impressing people with a show of how much money you can spend on your boat, showing your actual ability by doing something everyone should (but rarely does) know how to do creates an inner warmth...it doesn't matter what they say.

#58 ·
Wolf is right, I am far more impressed when I see a captain come into a dock under sail and then time the momentum just right to bring the boat into a slip or alongside a dock than I am when I see a guy with a multimillion dollar boat. I actually have only seen it a couple of times, but hey even once was enough to make me feel humble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.