SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What's your dream boat?

Tags
dream boat
11K views 58 replies 41 participants last post by  paulatcrag 
#1 ·
If you could own any older sailboat fully refurbished and in mint condition, let's say between 35 and 45 feet what would it be and why?

#3 ·
OK - I'll play....

For long range or offshore... Passport 40

For coastal cruising.... maybe a Catalina 42 mKII

Reactions: jackdale
#14 ·
The Catalinas are nice coastal boats. The forward head / shower on the 42 is nice. The gallery storage is wanting, but the top loading / front loading fridge seems to work.

Offshore - tougher choice; of the boats that I have sailed - Saga 43.

#4 ·
Son of a .....

I wanted to say Passport 40, w/ pullman berth, but Faster beat me to it...

I suppose that's why his handle is what it is...

#6 ·
Ok, here is another;

1998-1991 Pearson 38 (actually 36 feet LOA)

#9 ·
What I have, suits me just fine. Does what I need, gets me where I want to be, and lets me enjoy doing it. Lot more fun living the dream (even if on hold for a bit), than dreaming about something I won't ever have. But that's just an old curmudgeon's viewpoint ;)

#10 ·
65 foot catamaran of some sort is my dream... if I had the money would have to research. Or just get a F39 folding trimaran

#16 ·
How does she sail? What's it like to drive that thing hard?

I have looked at/been on a big Hans C (forgot the LOA - looked pretty much like yours though), they are probably my favorite big boat (big to me at least).

I love the cockpit layout and and the chests built in on the deck. Awesome boat, I'd want mine to have a tiller.. :)

#13 ·
For you folks with pullmans, please tell me you have lee clothes.

I sailed a Hylas 46 with an island queen and a pullman from Newport to St Barths. The island queen was unsleepable on any tack, the pullman was useless on a port tack (Bermuda to St Barths.)

#15 ·
We do have a lee cloth on the pullman however it is mostly there to prevent sail bags and such that we are storing on the bed from falling out. In my opinion berths that large, wile great at anchor, almost always make for poor sleeping when offshore (I prefer a nice tight space to wedge myself into) so when sailing we usually sleep in either the pilot berth or on the settee witch also has a lee clothe.

#21 ·
New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 the deep keel version.

I have a drop keel Explorer 44 and she suits me just fine, big open saloon comfortable bed and a BIG shower stall. Shower with a friend - no problem - two friends are even possible.

Came up from Trinidad to Grenada last week with new bottom paint, 8s 9s and the odd 10. Fast is good.

#26 · (Edited)
Exuma 44 by Reuel Parker, based on Commodore Ralph Munroe's brilliant
'Presto' round-bilged sharpie. Shoal draft, sea kindly sea keeping cruiser.

exumaplanpage

...now, to find funding. Anyone want to buy a house?

#29 · (Edited)
Actually to fit within the parameters of the original question, I saw a beautiful old wooden schooner, 45' on deck (smallest practical size for a schooner) nice graceful lines, low cabin with esthetically very pleasing aft cabin (not center cockpit, 2/3 maybe). Rig was a jib headed main, foresail was gaff, but could fly a staysail and topmast staysail (between foremast and mainmast) really big bowsprit with roller furler.....sorry don't have a pic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.