Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rikhall
  • 1 Post By WDS123

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
buying boat need input

Am narrowing my boat search down now that I have had a few years of exposure to sailing and completing my ASA courses, as well as getting my first mate exposed to my passion.
Am ready to buy a boat and am looking for experienced input:

1.) will be based in Chesapeake. Will go down ICW and out into ocean for 1-day runs. Will cross Gulf Stream from No Name Harbor Key Biscayne to Bimini for crusie through Bahamas/Exumas.
2.) Eventually cross down to D.R. and on to Virgin islands and back.
3.) maybe in future Florida to Yucatan.
4.) need comfort for first mate
5.) looking for bigger births than traditional 30 foot cruisers and we don't like to sleep in v-berth.

These are my list of six (6) top older boats for me:
Please give feedback as I want to distill these choices down to top 3 if possible and I am looking for folks who are more experienced than I.
I also realise that every boat and its condition is completely different and it csan be hard to compare as one 'better' model in crappy condition is worse than a lesser-rated boat in good condition. I know it all comes down to the individual condition of the individual boat. But, if everything else is equal, any feedback on these boats based on what I want to do:

1.) C&C Landfall 38
2.) Cal 39 MK ii
3.) Ericcson 38
4.) Morgan OI 41
5.) Hunter Legend 40
6.) Irwin 38 Center Cockpit

Plus, any feedback on my feeling that I am biting off more than I can chew and so I have always liked the Island Packet 27, even though it does not have a bigger berth or a nav station - still conflicted about the less expensive costs for a smaller boat.

Thanks so much-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I'm sure there'll be tons of opinions on each exclusive model, but I take it that you're purchasing a used boat. If this is a purchase that you plan to make in the near future, you might be better served by searching for what's available, as opposed to narrowing it down to exclusive make/models. Not saying that the "one for you" isn't out there, but I definitely would hate to be looking for only Boat "A", in Size "B", for "X" amount of dollars. It may prolong your dream for a lot longer than you think.

On the other hand, if you've got years to make this purchase, then forgive the intrusion and I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Whatever you end up with, good luck and from the list you've posted, you probably can't go wrong with any of them. Assuming, of course, that you make the best decision up front. Are you planning to have whatever you purchase professionally surveyed? Also, have you checked the market as to their availability?
Old 09-25-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
You have one on your list that is my top pick for our next boat. That said - I will repeat to you what my sailing mentor said when I asked how big a boat should I buy:

"But the biggest boat Linda can handle alone when you are unconscious and she is sick."

Best of luck!

Rik
messer999 likes this.
Old 09-25-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Of that list, given your aversion to V berths, the C&C Landfall stands out. It has a neat aft cabin with, if memory serves, 2 berths - one a minimal double and a single. Those would likely make decent sea berths too.

That model would be from C&Cs banner years and a good one should certainly be up to the stated objectives.

oh... and Rikhall's admonition is worthy of serious consideration too.. so if your wife is a newbie any of those on the list are pretty ambitious starters.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-25-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Smaller is usually safer for. First boat.

Don't think in terms of length, think in terms of displacement. 38 ft doesn't sound like much, but 24,000 lbs puts it into perspective.

I can't imagine 2 sem-experienced people trying to sail a big heavy 40ftr on their own. On a big boat the forces are quite large. They need to be to move all that mass.

Can your wife reef a 40ftr's sail by herself ? Could you reef the main while your wife drove ? Could you reef the main In the dark ? In a blinding rainstorm on a moonless night ?
rikhall likes this.

Last edited by WDS123; 09-25-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Aside from what WD says, and he's right, the first two on your list.
Old 09-26-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Saltwater Suzi and I have lived and cruised on a Morgan Out Island 41 for 14 years. She's comfortable (the boat, not Suzi) and solid and easy to sail. If you can find one that's been cared for it would be well worth looking at.

(Actually, Suzi is comfortable, too, but isn't easy to sail.) (No further comments on THAT issue.)

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-26-2011

You mention Irwin 38 Center Cockpit, the Mark II has a queen sized bed with access from both sides! That's what I want.

But - she is not a Tanzer 22 and would take some more experience before you took her too far.

Rik
Old 09-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
She's comfortable (the boat, not Suzi) and solid and easy to sail.
Larry

You are either a very brave man, totally foolish or Suzi never reads Sailnet.

Rik
Old 09-26-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Choice

Since it appears you will be learning more about sailing as you go with your purchase, you could consider sailboats that will take good care of you which also means you will keep your wife comfortable. Consider a careful look at Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere by Gregg Nestor. He has written many articles for sailing magazines about various boats and has give careful thought to selecting sailboats that are blue water capable and sized for two people.