SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   San Francisco/Alameda Yacht Clubs (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/79136-san-francisco-alameda-yacht-clubs.html)

Brianr19 09-26-2011 01:14 AM

San Francisco/Alameda Yacht Clubs

I am interested in learning more about the San Francisco Bay Area yacht clubs, I can find a lot of the basic information online but it seems to lack a qualitative approach. I can't seem to find any articles comparing the different clubs, or anything of that sort (perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place). I think that part of the problem is that there are so many good clubs, but if anyone can add some inside information regarding the different clubs it would be appreciated.

I've owned a couple boats, the last a 1987 Hunter 37 but that was almost 15 years ago. I'm looking to buy a new boat, and thinking it would be more fun to be part of a club this time. I am looking to cruise a lot, mostly inside the bay, and to race a little - mostly on other boats as I would continue to be a complete novice.

I am in my 40's and live in the East Bay, though I work in SF and hang out on the Peninsula quite a bit, so pretty much the whole bay is fair game (with the exception of the North Bay areas).

Thanks in advance for any information.

B

L124C 09-26-2011 01:43 AM

I was just at a function at Encinal YC in Alameda. Don't know much about it, but the few times I've been there it seemed like a nice club (and it has a swimming pool!). A little club with tons of character in SF is the Bay view YC. The building is actually an old boat house that was moved there in the 40's if I remember correctly. Both it, and the Mariposa YC are within walking distance of AT&T Park. Not a lot of amenities, but plenty of charm and some lively parties! Golden Gate YC in SF was/is a working class Yacht club that happens to be sponsoring Ellison's America's Cup effort, which might be fun to be a part of. There is a funny story behind the sponsorship. I posted about it.http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing...tml#post682292

jstroup 09-26-2011 11:18 AM

I think a lot of it depends on where you want to berth your boat since you'll probably want to join a club that will be close by. You'll get more use out of the club if you can hang out there before or after a sail. Since you're in the East Bay you'll probably want to keep your boat on that side of the bay. My boat's at Marina Village and I've visited both the Oakland and Encinal clubs. Both are nice but I think Encinal leans more towards sailboats. There's also that pool which is quite nice on hot days.

One more thing to consider is the hours the clubs are open and whether they match your schedule.

Good luck,

judie

capttb 09-26-2011 08:22 PM

I've only been to the Encinal club but they seemed above average, nice pool, nice members, great recently remodeled bar, good bartenders and food.
Just seemed a top notch club with pretty active racing program.

svHyLyte 09-26-2011 10:06 PM

If you are a sailor, ensure you are looking at a real sailing Club. While a bit farther north than you might like, Richmond Yacht Club in Point Richmond is one of the best on the Bay and yet one of the least costly. We've been members since the mid-70's and it continues to be an excellent Club with some of the top sailors, young and old, on the Bay. The Club also has a good Marina in an area known as the "Banana Belt" due to the relatively benign conditions. The Club is also excellent if you have kids as it's family oriented and has a great Juniors program.

FWIW...

Brianr19 10-13-2011 01:58 AM

Encinal looks very nice, I drove by last weekend as I was in the area for my son's soccer game. I guess my curiosity is driven by the thought that I would want to pick a place to berth it with the local sailing community/yacht club as a big decision point. I have seen the Richmond YC a few years ago, it does look really nice and my impression was that the members would be all about sailing.

Is the consensus at Sailnet that the biggest deciding factor is which club is closest to where you berth your boat?

Thx

svHyLyte 10-13-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianr19 (Post 785706)
Encinal looks very nice, I drove by last weekend as I was in the area for my son's soccer game. I guess my curiosity is driven by the thought that I would want to pick a place to berth it with the local sailing community/yacht club as a big decision point. I have seen the Richmond YC a few years ago, it does look really nice and my impression was that the members would be all about sailing.

Is the consensus at Sailnet that the biggest deciding factor is which club is closest to where you berth your boat?

Thx

Brian--

In my view the deciding factor is the people. If the members are of such a nature that you would enjoy being among and part of the group, and participating, that's the most important aspect. Not having your boat at or relatively near the Club is problematic to some extent in that you will not be so able to take advantage of others' knowledge, or share yours, as readily. Many times at our Club I have had a thorny issue on our boat that has been solved with the help of one or more of the other members. Now that I am older--and have more experience--I am (to some extent) able to offer help to younger, less experienced members (or not if they prefer). On the other hand, not having your boat at the Club instantly gives you a destination and, of course, easier access to some of the other Clubs--which become more "user friendly" the minute you become a member of one or another. (Some our most enjoyable cruises were the round robin tours to other Clubs.)

If you have children, RYC is really a good Club as they have an excellent Juniors program. If you are looking for a Wine'n Dine Club RYC isn't it. IF you're looking for a sailing club RYC has much to offer.

FWIW...

vega1860 10-13-2011 04:33 PM

We spent ten days at the St Francis YC guest dock; great facilities, friendly people and active sailing programs. Unfortunately the initiation fee of $20K (That's right, TWENTY :eek:) is a little out of our range.

NYC is more our speed, but then, we do not live in SF

imagine2frolic 10-13-2011 04:40 PM

I raced as crew out of the Bayview, and the Golden Gate. The Bayview was a whole lot more fun!.........i2f

Boatsmith 10-13-2011 06:00 PM

When we lived in theBay we belonged to Encinal. I have very fond memories and if we lived there again we would again be members. David