SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sandblasting? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/792-sandblasting.html)

michaelhalliday 02-19-2001 08:29 AM

Sandblasting?

OK, I am about to attempt a bottom job on my Catalinia 22. (First one for me ever, and in 7 years for the boat) I expect to have to fix some blisters, and maybe repaint with a barrier coat.

I was hoping to save some time by using a sand blaster to clean most of the old paint off to bottom, and to open up some of the blisters. Is this a foolish thing for a non-pro to try? I really am worried about the extra time, effort, and $$$ (yard time), that have to scrape and sand the whole bottom by hand.

Thoughts? Better ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

helmsman 02-23-2001 04:06 AM

Sandblasting?

I had the hull sandblasted on my first boat, a 26 foot sloop. It had hundreds of blisters. I queried many, many of whom recommended against it. The yard owner recommended a guy who used the ''right'' sandblasting medium that wouldn''t remove all the gel coat. His work opened up all the blisters. I washed the hull in fresh water, almost daily for two months before it fully dried out (some spots were wet, checked with a moisture meter). I faired very few of the deeper blisters, applied West Epoxy over the entire bottom, two coats of Interprotect 2001, then bottom paint, and crossed my fingers.
Three years later I hauled the boat for new bottom paint. Not one blister! Boy was I happy!
Overall, the job was still messy and miserable, working at backwrenching angles in the hot summer months.... but I''m getting ready to do it again, two boats later.... not as bad this time though, just a few gel coat blisters, dime sized and smaller...
good luck

michaelhalliday 02-23-2001 04:30 AM

Sandblasting?

Thanks for the insigt. Very good info here. I had gotten a response on another board (at TrailerSailor.com - nice site BTW) that reccommended "Plastic beads" instaead of sand. Maybe that is what your guy used, but I will defintily as the Yard managers at my marina for some reccommended professionals. I just hope the cost does not blow my budget, but I think the scraping and rough sanding would be a brutal amount of work!

Mike

noctaluca 03-17-2001 02:14 PM

Sandblasting?

If you end up sanding, try using a liquid stripper for the initial paint removal. In California I use Jasco stripper purchased at home depot. Apply it liberaly and let it sit till it realy bubbles up. It is about the best and is economical for the purpose of stripping and time involved. If you sand, use a good random orbital sander like porter cable has. Some yards rent air driven random orbital sanders, these seem to be the best.
Good luck, Bill

sord 03-17-2001 02:48 PM

Sandblasting?

If you do try scraping it yourself make sure you protect your back. Scraping a boat in cramped quarters like under your cradle can cause very serious back damage. I scraped my 22ft boat last year and ended up in hospital for 6 weeks and had a further 8 weeks of therapy. I had herniated 2 discs in my back. I had only spent 5 hours working under the boat - total time. Really screwed up my sailing. Make sure you scape for no more than one hour at a time. Leave and stretch for at least 1/2 hour.

jw.nyc 03-23-2001 04:29 AM

Sandblasting?

Back in Ohio we used to blast with ground up corn cobs, did a good job and was soft enough not to do any damage.

You could also try something like Peal Away stripper,put it on and come back 3 days later. Works better in cold weather as the solvents do not flash off as quickly and can do maore stripping