Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011

contrarian is on a distinguished road
As a former owner of a Pearson 26 OD ( even less room in the cabin than a standard Pearson but a huge cockpit) I would recommend the E27. I looked very hard at an E27 before I purchased the Pearson but this particular boat just had too many issues otherwise I would have chosen the Ericson. I know I am going against the traditional grain in saying this but I don't agree with the adage that you should learn to sail in a smaller boat. If you want to race dingies then buy a dingy. If you want to cruise buy a cruiser. I really think you should look at a 30 footer, you will probably own it longer before the 3footitis sets in than you will with the 27. The learning curve will be virtually the same on either boat with the exception of perhaps inboard vs outboard motors.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2011

INMA is on a distinguished road
I agree with contrarian learning in a medium sized keel boat is fine.

Do consider doing a course before casting off in your own yacht because 2 or 3 days in a course reduces the mistakes your likely to make in your own yacht. I put my wife on the course before me so she had the advance on knowledge and experience.

Don't scare your crew and you will have a great experience.
Old 10-06-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
Size is a factor of finance. Bigger is more comfortable, but it costs more to buy, maintain, and operate. Smaller gives you sailing skills without the complexity of big boat systems....outboard vs inboard....armstrong vs winches.....trailer vs berthing.......home vs yard maintenance. Condition is king as replacing equipment and structure is expensive. Best to find the best for the least money. PO did the work and spent the money to upgrade and maintain = you get to enjoy. PO did not do the work and did not spend the money = you lose. Two approaches.....buy it done or buy good bones and fix as you have time and money. Best depends on you. If you are not handy, buy it done. If you are, doing it yourself gives you the knowledge of how it was installed and that makes future repairs easier. If you do not do a good job, this backfires, so don't fool yourself. Lots of electronics and gear may not be best becaue if they are 5-10 years old, they are bound to fail or need major repair soon. Old boats are smaller than new boats. If you are small in stature, an older boat may work for you. A 20-22 is least cost but requires compromises. A 25 is a sweet spot, because it is big enough and small enough. The 27s are a good compromise as many are good small yachts and two ft does help. The 30s make very good all around cruisers. They are big enough to provide the accomodations to make cruising comfortable and small enough not to break the budget. So establish your budget and find a boat that fits your skills. Look at an O'Day 22, a Bene 235, a Stonehorse, a Balboa 25, a Coronado 25, a Catalina 27, a C&C 29, and a Pearson 30. They represent a cross section of the designs but not the only choices that will work. Then look for the best deal in the best condition that meets your requirements. And hold back 25% of the purchase price to make the boat yours. Do it and enjoy the experience.

Last edited by Cherie320; 10-06-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Having just spent two exhausting days waxing my boat, I would suggest nothing bigger than a kayak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.