Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
South for the winter

We're just not ready for this yet, but someday. We have dock neighbors heading for FL and the Caribbean already. Aside from the time or expensive (you pick) to get the boat there, we just don't have the time to get that far to use her to justify it.

We have been thinking about Charleston or Hilton Head, which for personal reasons are more accessible to us. The first question, being winter, is whether these are appropriate in water winter locations. I believe they do see freezing temps at times. Second, is whether these are good weekend sailing grounds, let alone good winter sailing. I know the winter temps aren't balmy, but could probably time the weekends with higher temps.

Lastly, which marinas would any recommend?

Just dreaming. Probably induced by the 30 gallons of antifreeze that just arrived at the door yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
The winter of 09 I spent a month inside the boat near Jax Florida. It was too cold to go outside, and just sand. Depends on what kind of winter they have.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Both are year round in the water. Hilton Head (Port Royal Sound), to me, has better sailing. There's Skunk (or is it Skull, I can never remember) Creek Marina, on the west side of the island, but I've never stayed there. You might PM Sailhog, as he used to be located on Hilton Head and would know better than most anybody else.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-30-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I used to be a native of Charleston, and while the city does see freezing temperatures every winter, the harbor, rivers, creeks, and streams (and most puddles) do not freeze, so bubblers are not necessary, and any marina that will let you live aboard will do as far as cold weather goes.

However, your boat will need ready means to heat it. Just 'cause the water isn't solid doesn't mean it's shirtsleeve weather.

I really like the Charleston City Marina, but it's pricey.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased