SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Trying to understand boat registration

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

We recently bought a boat in North Carolina. It is a U.S documented vessel. We are Canadian citizens.

We would like to rename and register the boat. So - some questions....

Can Canadian citizens register a boat in the US (specifically North Carolina)?

I know there are some issues with titling a boat that is already federally documented. Is there any way to rename a federally documented vessel?

We will be sailing the boat south, then eventually back up north. Down the line, we would like to register the boat in Canada. Does a vessel need to be located in Canada in order to register it within Canada? Could I register it as a Canadian vessel while I'm down in North Carolina?

I'm currently located in Canada, but will be heading down to NC in a few weeks. Is there anything I can do for all this stuff now, while I'm up here?

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Nick

See less See more
#2 ·
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL?
When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the "Sale or Transfer of Vessel" section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules, and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee ( lender) should complete a Satisfaction of Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage.
Top of Page

IF you purchased the Vessel already, did the previous owner fill out the appropriate forms? As you say, you will not be able to title a vessel anywhere, without having done this AFIK.

After the owner undocuments the vessel. ( You have to be an American Citizen to document a US vessel) I believe you can register it and rename it whatever and wherever you want but, I'd simply call NC Basic Facts on Vessel Registration and Titling And Verify.

If you travel outside of canada and the US, you may bump into paperwork issues..having canadian citizenship and a US registered vessel.... ( Proof of ownership, title..etc)

Registering it in canada may make your life simpler. Then there's the whole thing about staying in the NC waters for more than 90 days... So I'd call them, and call home..

#3 ·
You can definitely register her as a Canadian boat... probably more easily done and less complicated than trying to register in a state as a non resident.

You need not ever actually import the boat into Canada, but if you do that's when any taxes and duties will come to bear.

Leaving the Canadian registered boat in the states may be a further complication.... and that's probably on a state-by-state basis.. (Here out west plenty of Canadian boats are moored in WA state)`

#4 · (Edited)
Right now and for a while doing anything through The National Vessel Documentation Center is a painful backlogged mess

They will answer the phone and give good and correct info BUT they are a good 3 months behind to go to a state reg you do have to UN-Document a boat as it is US citizen only deal

#6 ·
Looking at the form, it doesn't appear so. It only asks if the vessel was previously registered in a foreign country.. Yes...and then it asks for the relevant information.

Registration is different from Title..though. You want to make sure you have clear title.
So the previous owner should provide you with the appropriate CG forms to undocument the vessel. ( my understanding)

I'm reading the back of my COD now and it clearly states that "the certificate is not conclusive evidence of Title in any preceeding where ownership is in question"
The complete records are on file at the NVDC.

Simply ..Filling out the back COD by the owner..does not necessarily ensure you that you have clear title. The form states: "The Sale or Transfer section below is provided for convenience only" In other words it's no guarantee that there are no liens unless the Previous owner does what they need to do..to undocument the vessel.

That is my understanding, but better fact check me.

#9 ·
Nick-
"We recently bought a boat in North Carolina. It is a U.S documented vessel. "
No, I don't think it *is* a documented vessel anymore. It was one, but that ended when you bought the boat. The rest is just paperwork.

Yes, you can register it with any state (as opposed to documentation) or you can do a Canadian flag option on it. If you register it in a US state, the boat can stay here without any permits, but you will probably be charged a state sales tax, use tax, or property tax, depending on the state and the address you supply for the paperwork.

You'd have to check that out with whatever states you have in mind. Usuaully, a boat has to be registered in a particular state if it remains there more than 90 days in a row, sometimes more than 183 days of the year, the terms and period for that also vary. But if you plan to keep and use the boat in one particular state--that's the one you'd register it in. If you move it from year to year...you have to look carefully at time periods and state regulations. And insurance, since insurers often want to know where a boat will be.
If you put a Canadian flag on the boat...you'd have to ask your own national and provincial tax authorities about that, but the boat will have to leave the US for 15(?) days at the end of one year. You'll need to apply for a cruising permit, good for one year, then leave, re-apply, possibly be allowed back for another year...and repeat.

Either way--you'll need the proper paperwork, signed title transfer, possibly notarized bill of sale, etc., from the PO. If you're not sure which way you will be going, pin down the PO, get all the possible options signed and if necessary notarized, to avoid "paper trail hell".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.